Pro Wrestling Only

Someone Explain This To Me

sek69

The People's Elbow is a wrestling move, just a really exaggerated one. An elbowdrop is no more a ridiculous move than a legdrop, even if what proceeds it is a little silly. What makes Rock better than Hogan is that he had other, more credible finishers he used most of the time.

THe major reason why the people's elbow was over was because of its stupidity and fakeness (especially for a finishing manuever)combined with Rock's charisma. The King who relished in the fakeness of the move on commentary also helped the move get over a good deal.

I always hated that move because it was such a big slap in the face to wrestling fans. I like the Rock but I always detested whenever he completely exposed the buisness for a cheap pop.

The People's Elbow was ok for him as a heel but it was getting really bad during his later face days when he'd play to the crowd forever and the other guy would just lay there for a minute.

The Garvin Stomp is the worst finisher ever though. The heart punch is probably second on the worst list.

Guest Dangerous A

I remember back in the day watching World Class Wrestling and seeing Brian Adias bust out a move called the "Oriental Tool". They put this thing over like it was the second coming of death and all it really was is Adias jamming his thumb like a strike into your throat. I believe it was Kevin Von Erich who took the move and sold it like he was going to die. It was even greater when Kevin came up with a real basic solution to vanquishing the Oriental tool- Break the Thumb.

To me it is as believable as the Worm or the People's Elbow where the guy has to lay there for an hour while Garvin takes his sweet time jumping on him. If the opponent is so incapacitated that Garvin can stomp him then why doesn't he just pin him? If it is to show them up (like the People's Elbow) then why wasn't it ever put across that Garvin was simply embarassing his opponent? If he isn't unconscious, why doesn't he roll away? Why doesn't he just kick Garvin's leg from under him or grab a hold of the foot? To me, it is an unspectacular signature move as aethetically unpleasing to the eye as it is hokey. It is the way I felt when I was 15. It is the way I feel now. If it was a guy like King Kong Bundy or Earthquake doing it, maybe I could buy the fact that you have the guy's body weight coming down on him. With Garvin? No way.

Garvin was a very good worker, just not a good choice for World champ. The crowds loved him in 1985-1986 when he was chasing Flair. And the Garvin Stomp does inflict a certain level of damage, and it didn't require a guy to sit in a certain position for a guy to hit it, like Rey's current 619 (even if he's become much better at setting that up). A guy was usually pretty beat up already by the time Garvin did the move, so the stomp took place after the guy was already laying there for some time.

As for Garvin's size, well, even a little kid stomping on your face, each hand, both legs and both of your feet is going to hurt.

I feel compelled to mention Ricky Steamboat's chop/punch things where he hit people with the palm of his hand, as I always thought that looked like it wouldn't hurt a fly.

I feel compelled to mention Ricky Steamboat's chop/punch things where he hit people with the palm of his hand, as I always thought that looked like it wouldn't hurt a fly.

Except Ricky Steamboat was put over as a "martial artist" and most martial arts moves don't look like they could hurt anyone if you just look at them but it was put over as such.

Guest Jack D. Ripper

Steamboat had the devastating power of karate in those hands.

I love the Canadian Destroyer, but I enjoy all of that "spot monkey" stuff.

You wanna talk about business-exposing moves, how about all of Rey's opponents always happen to find themselves laying across the ropes in perfect position for the 619? At least the People's Elbow only required a guy laying on the mat, and not some elaborate setup that a five year old could see through.

I think the 619 is a move that would work in small doses. If a guy happens to land that way nad Rey decided what the hell then we would be raving about it. The fact it happens in every single match is what kills the spectacle. However, I wil ltake the 619 over the bronco buster every single day of the week.

Guest Dangerous A

I swear the Bronco Buster was probrably invented on a dare to Waltman from Hall or Nash.

Hall: Hey Pac, I dare you to make one of your signature moves a tea-bagging!

X-Pac: Fuck it, I'll do it.

They have probrably had this conversation or something very similar to it.

Guest DylanWaco

Garvin was a decent worker, who had flashes of greatness here and there. I'm still amazed he ever had the NWA belt, but then again Tommy Rich had that belt to, so what can you do? The Garvin stomp was just apalling to me as a finisher, but then again I hate Sullivan's double stomp too, and apparently that is semi-popular with alot of hardcore fans.

Meng was awesome btw and the Tongan Death Grip, was even better.

I love the Tongan death grip too. When Meng slapped that bad boy on you knew it was over. He had that powerful presence in the ring so when a man that dangerous in there is around your throat area you better believe I'm going to buy that finisher.

I remember watching WCW Saturday Night during Goldberg's undefeated streak where he faced off against Meng. I know Meng got the grip on but I know Goldberg came back and won the match somehow. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Goldberg actually countered the move. It was very protected which was another thing I liked about it.