Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-01-Michinoku Pro-Super J Cup] Great Sasuke vs Kaz Hayashi

Loss

Another very good match, this time with two vets of the KDX days. I wish it had a little more time because it seemed like five more minutes could have made it great. I remember Dave saying on WOL around this time that Kaz Hayashi was better than Tajiri but look which company did a better job getting over their guy. It's something interesting to ponder after watching this, and he looks excellent in this for sure. I love the snap and urgency in Sasuke's execution, and it's good to see him. Sometimes short matches don't seem too short. In fact, the opener didn't. This was almost twice as long, but felt too short, I think because it seemed like it was just really getting cooking when it ended. Still, what we got was strong. ***1/4

Really good match that would have been spectacular with a couple more minutes. My memory of Sasuke is chain smoking one so seeing him look crisp and motivated here was welcomed. Kaz really did look excellent with his submission moves, power, look, and speed. He seemed to have the total package and is a lost worker in this time period. This clocked in right under 10 minutes and was the great showcase for both guys. ***1/2

• 1 month later...

This was strong with Hayashi grounding Sasuke, staying ahead of him, and avoiding getting into a highspot match for the majority. Hayashi did look good, though not incredibly dynamic or anything. Like he was missing the slightest bit of confidence or some such. He heels it up a little here and does a good job cutting Sasuke off before he can get going. Ending had slightly too much Sasuke just popping up to make his comeback and the ending is a bit abrupt but this was another good outing in this tournament.

***1/4

I agree with Loss's thoughts on this one. Marvin and CIMA had a shorter match than this but used their time very efficiently. This one felt short-changed on the time even though it was longer. The finish seemed to come out of nowhere and wasn't really built up. It felt like they were building for a longer match and you were left feeling like you wanted more as a result. Still a very good match and I would rank it on the same level as Marvin vs CIMA. ***1/4

It's easy to see who Hayashi's favorite wrestler was. He should have called himself Pegasus Kaz. Funny that Michinoku Pro did not acknowledge that Hayashi was the former Shiryu. At least they did not show any old clips from him for the introduction and I could not hear the announcers use the name Shiryu.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Kaz Hayashi is categorized as a WCW representative even though WCW had closed before this. It's obvious as to who Hayashi's inspiration is here... Hayashi and Sasuke go back 3-4 years as they faced themselves multiple times throughout the years when Hayashi was Shiryu in Kaientai DX. This is nothing groundbreaking, but it's a nice sub 10 minute Jr.'s match which sees them take advantage of the short time their given.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-01-Michinoku Pro-Super J Cup] Great Sasuke vs Kaz Hayashi