Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-04-22-MCW-TV] Jerry Lawler vs K-Krush

soup23

Bobcat is back on commentary but pretty grating along with David Jet. K-Krush's rap isn't very good either. I haven't really liked this feud and this was no exception. Krush is really limited just punching and lumbering around. Lawler isn't what he used to be either. They do an angle at the end with Mr. Coffee getting involved leading to Bull Pain coming out and a schmozz with Krush obtaining the victory. This was really poor. *1/2

• 4 weeks later...

From the silence of this crowd, Lawler's act is played and Memphis isn't really buying what he's selling so much anymore. Psychologically sound and I personally enjoyed how the match built, but I'd like to see Lawler aim a little higher in his TV matches sometimes. One thing I've learned about myself is that I do like minimalism, but I like it as a deviation from the norm instead of just as what wrestlers always do. So Lawler is really boring me thus far.

• 1 month later...

Bobcat is out first and she’s providing guest commentary for this match. We miss all of Krush’ rap and whatever he has to say to the crowd because she is talking at the same time. Turns out Krush is now the MCW Southern Heavyweight champion, not sure how (last we saw was Bull Pain stealing it), but guess that’s one of the downsides for not watching everything. Guy Coffey is also out there tonight, wonder if he’s still self-appointed ‘acting’ Commissioner? Lawler ducks out of the way of a right from Krush and delivers one of his own, only for Krush to complain to the official about a closed fist. The commentators talk about it being the first meeting between these two, clearly forgetting the match they had last month! Elbow to the back of the head and Krush takes to the floor to try and compose himself. Lance Russell will be back next week (he’s on vacation) so there is some good news as this match is going nowhere fast. Krush does a terrible Ali (not the guy from PPW!) shuffle and a slightly better Ralph Macchio crane kick pose. This is just Lawler throwing punches and not much else. Krush reaches into his pants for a foreign object and decks ‘The King’. Two count near fall to zero reaction. Scoop powerslam from Krush. As Lawler tries to fire back, Krush reaches into his pocket and again nails ‘The King’ with the object. Stinger splash, Krush then whips Lawler to the opposite corner, goes for a second, however ‘The King’ moves and somehow (the camera angle isn’t great) the official gets splashed. Fist drop off the middle, and just like his match against Bull Pain at the start of the month, Lawler makes a cover even though he knows full well the referee is down. Guy Coffey gets in the ring and counts the pin (Krush is down for around twenty second’s total) and ‘The King’ celebrates. Bull Pain is out, grabs Coffey and talks about him sticking his nose into things and is about to clobber him when Lawler makes the save. Krush levels ‘The King’ with the title belt, the referee comes around, counts the three and declares Krush the winner. Coffey tries to explain to the official what happened but Krush gets out of there sharpish with his belt.

For a MCW match this was given longer than normal, although that wasn’t a plus here. A lot of stalling and just so slow paced as the two of them did nothing but throw punches for what felt like the first five minutes. Done well I don’t have a problem with a match like that, this wasn’t done well and just bored me. Krush’s bumping and selling is so over exaggerated all the time too. Crowd was dead again for Lawler’s combacks and the near fall after he was decked with the foreign object, to the point I’m thinking the crowd for the 4/8 show (which responded to everything) had to be an anomaly. Bobcat was dire on commentary and at least Lance Russell is back next week, the shows definitely don’t feel the same when he’s not there. Less said about the finish with Guy Coffey (who part makes me laugh, part plain infuriates me) entering the ring to count a pin the better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, this was not good... I thought their first match wasn't good either, but at least that other match provided us a glimpse of Lawler's horrible dancing. Here, that's not even the case.

I'm still not sold on K-Krush. His rapping was as horrible back then as it still is today.

Will there ever be an MCW match that doesn't include some over-the-top booking?

• GSR changed the title to [2000-04-22-MCW-TV] Jerry Lawler vs K-Krush