Pro Wrestling Only

MATCH OF THE DECADE

Guest riflewilly

Guest riflewilly

I felt sort of left out and decided I would try something better than going year by year.

I want to go with Triple H .vs. Shawn Micheals I believe it was the last RAW of 2002. The match was so good words can't describe it. After all of the action, Triple H retained after what I believe was a draw. I can't remember exactly how it went down because I only saw it once but it was an excellent battle.

If anyone can maybe remember what it was that caused Trips to keep his title, I would love it if you could post a reminder below. Thanks

Guest Bruiser Chong

This can't possibly lead to anything but trouble. I hardly remember the match myself, so I won't say much. I don't remember being at all dazzled by it, so even calling it the best match of '02 would be far-fetched. I'll let the people who have the match fresh in their mind take a further stab at this, though.

If anyone can maybe remember what it was that caused Trips to keep his title, I would love it if you could post a reminder below. Thanks

Posted Image

Edit; Seriously though, The only Shawn Micheals Vs HHH match that I would even consider to be a "great" match was Shawn's return match at Summerslam 02(?) and that's based more on sentimental reasons than anything else.

Right. It was 2003. There's a lot I'd like to say about it, but I'll refrain for now, and just say if I had to pick a match of the decade, only looking at WWE, it would probably be either Steve Austin v The Rock at Wrestlemania X-7, Chris Jericho v The Rock at No Mercy 2001 or Steve Austin v Chris Benoit from the 05/31/01 Smackdown.

I assume this is WWE only.

Jericho Vs Michaels at Mania 19 on a personal level. It may not be technically perfect but i love the hell out of that match and the build up.

Best technically wise? Angle/Benoit at RR03.

You know, that Summerslam match between Austin & Angle (2001) gets slept on a lot. Too bad it didn't have a clean finish or that match would've been fabulous.

That match didn't need a clean finish to be great. ;-)

Actually I don't know how a clean finish would've made it better, since everything Austin was doing there was leading to a DQ. The whole point is Austin is a cunning, evil bastard who wants to beat the life out of Angle, but when push comes to shove he'll do whatever it takes to keep his title. Thus when Angle survives everything Austin throws at him (including three stunners), Austin gets himself DQ'ed, knowing he'll keep his belt. It's fine storytelling if you ask me. ;-)

It's also the first match in the feud, so what good would it do to have Austin beat Angle clean? If anything the finish gives Angle reason for a rematch. I agree with Rob Edwards, who said it should've led to a no-DQ blowoff match where Angle finally wins after being screwed by Austin time after time.

The match of the decade...

I have a wishlist a mile long of Japanese and Lucha wrestling that I need to see before I even consider a match of the decade.

In WWE, I am really hard-pressed to pick a clear-cut Match of the Decade. In 2001, I liked Rock-Austin, Benoit-Austin (My MOTY for WWE in 2001), and Rock-Jericho... but nothing else reallly stands out, just as Loss indicated, from that year.

In 2002, I can't think of one WWE match I would consider a MOTD.

In 2003, I'm drawing ablank there also.

In 2004, JBL-Eddie and Brock-Eddie stand out in my mind but I think i'll have to re-evaluate them later on down the line while comparing them to these other matches.

This year, I haven't seen any WWE matches at all except for last week's SD!.

For ROH, 2002 had no clear-cut MOTD candidates since all of those matches were blown away by stuff they did later.

In 2003, you have American Dragon-Paul London but that pales in comparison to the stuff that went on in 2004.

In 2004, there are two clear-cut MOTD candidates: Joe-Punk II and Joe-Punk III.

Right now, if you were to put a gun to my head, I'd go with Joe-Punk II since it is one of the best matches I have seen that I would hold against any other match in any other company for the last 10 years... seriously.

2000 - I dunno. I like Kawada/Vader from Jan or Feb but I wouldn't call it a MOTYC but I can't think of anything else that really stands out. I think Sid vs. Benoit from Souled Out is a viable US MOTYC with WCW producing nothing but shit that year and Trips matches that don't age well (or never were good to begin with if you are me), this is a really solid match with Benoit being the glue and Sid looking as good as he ever has. Villano III vs. Atlantis from 3/17 is noteworthy though I wouldn't choose it personally.

2001 - Hokuto/Satamura from 4/19 is outstanding. So is Rock/Austin from WrestleMania. Haven't seen the Jericho/Rock matches, which I should before deciding.

2002 - London/Danielson from 12/7 is the first excellent ROH match. Xavier/London from 12/28 is the first ROH match to have sustained face/heel heat.

2003 -

2004 - Eddy/JBL from 5/16 in a heartbeat. This might be my Match of the Decade. The more older territory stuff I watch and the more current stuff I watch just makes this so much better. Punk/Joe II and III are incredible as well. I second Goodhelmet's thoughts on Joe/Punk II holding up to any match of the past 10 years from any promotion. Well, last 8 years because 1995 and 1996 have a few matches that might knock it down.

2005 - so far Joe/Danielson vs. Evans/Aries from 2/25 and Joe/Aries from 2/26. The first is ridiculous in its greatness as Jack Evans breaks out big time. The second is just another excellent Joe match.

Tim

In 2003, I'm drawing ablank there also.

I know some people have reservations about Angle/Benoit from the Rumble. Are you one of them, or did you legitimately overlook that match?

I didn't overlook it but I had to look at it from the perspective of MOTD status.

It is great to see Benoit get the ovation he deserves since he was so misused up to this point but the match itself is a "good" match, not a great one.

Guest Some Guy

I have seen 3 ROH matches total and haven't seen any TNA that has blown me away (I watch Impact! once a month or so) so I can't comment on non-WWE stuff. Some time next week I have roughly 18 hours of ROH coming my way so I might be able to make a better judgement then.

I think Rock/Austin WM 17 was probably the best match of the decade for WWF.

Other than that match nothing really holds up all that well. Jericho/HBK from WM 19 was very good, Rock/Jericho from 2001 was as well (I'll be getting that match next week as well, I saw it live so my memory of it is hazy).