Pro Wrestling Only

TNA lays down the law

sek69

From Meltz (with the usual Meltzerian typos fixed by me):

--We'll have an update probably tomorrow, but Roderick Strong and Austin Aries are more than just in the TNA doghouse. The company is sending a strong message out as they are tired of people missing PPV shows. Strong & Aries didn't miss, but the feeling is they put themselves in the position to miss by working ROH the night before given the weather. Both worked last night.

I was wondering how long TNA would put up with no-shows, since it seems like someone's MIA ever PPV they do. I'm sure the ROHbots will be upset, but for Strong and Aries to risk missing a PPV for a company with nationwide TV so they can work a show in a blizzard for an indy is kind of a slap in the face to TNA. Yeah I know they're getting a lot of talent from ROH but when a company has you booked for a PPV slot you should at least give the impression that they're the priority.

Guest Dangerous A

Sounds almost cryptic. They aren't released, yet they worked the last 2 tv tapings. I can see where TNA management needs to make a stand as far as no shows, but if they wanted to do that, they should've started with Jeff Hardy and Sean Waltman. At least Aries and Strong made an effort and made it in. The other two are inexcusable, yet as of last week they had offered Waltman a new deal that he rejected and there was talk of brining back Hardy a few weeks ago.

Guest savagerulz

Oh God the company is actually doing some things right at the moment, so it's imparitive they grasp this fully:

DON'T PUNISH WORKERS FOR WHAT DIDN'T HAPPEN BUT COULD HAVE!!

Guest Dangerous A

Oh no doubt Aries and Strong deserve whatever they have coming to them. I'm just saying that it looks very foolish of TNA to start now when Waltman and Hardy have done much, much worse and their excuses for no showing were pretty much because they were A) drugged or drunk out of their minds or B) just didn't feel like showing up.

While Aries and Strong deserve punishment, they at least made an attempt to make the show.

Guest Dangerous A

Well, technically we don't know what the punishment is yet. They worked the PPV and the TV tapings yesterday. I'm banking they didn't work for free. Guess we'll have to see if Meltz follows up tommorrow on this.

Guest savagerulz

I think they're being punished for not going to Orlando early like the company asked them to.

TNA best recognize they aint the WWE by a longshot yet.

I think they're being punished for not going to Orlando early like the company asked them to.

TNA best recognize they aint the WWE by a longshot yet.
Yeah, TNA better stop getting so uppity, expecting wrestlers to show up for PPVs and stuff.

Any shit they get would be for ignoring the company's request to report early for the PPV. It's not TNA's problem if they have bookings in an area that had a snowstorm bearing down on them. They made a commitment to TNA and put themselves in a position to possibly miss it.

Besides, ROH fans are going to have to learn that TNA PPV > ROH show. If it was an Impact taping I could almost see doing what they did being okay. You can't let people not show up and fuck up a show people are paying to see.

It was an unreasonable request. Warn them that if they missed the show that there would be repercussions. If they make the show, perform the best they can then no harm, no foul. The only thing that TNA should have done was say that the blizzard may prevent them from making the show and if that happens, they would lose their jobs. There is no reason to play big brother. Those guys are adults. They def. showed more class than Hardy or Waltman by honoring BOTH of their commitments.

Waltman also lost his gig with the company over no showing. Hardy and Apolo also got booted for the same offenses. Even if they made the show they still disobeyed the company. What if they had won the shot against AMW and then got snowed in at the PPV? The company has every right to punish someone that could mess up their plans.

It's not like they're getting fired or anything. It's only them getting jobbed a few times as punishment. The WWF has done similar to guys who are late.

EDIT: I justed wanted to add it was even a worse decision on their part when they knew that this new CEO was going to be around making roster decisions.

Guest savagerulz

Any shit they get would be for ignoring the company's request to report early for the PPV. It's not TNA's problem if they have bookings in an area that had a snowstorm bearing down on them. They made a commitment to TNA and put themselves in a position to possibly miss it.

Besides, ROH fans are going to have to learn that TNA PPV > ROH show. If it was an Impact taping I could almost see doing what they did being okay. You can't let people not show up and fuck up a show people are paying to see.

No... TNA is going to learn that until they can pay enough to the non-headliners so they don't have to work indy shows, they can't ask talent to take food out of their mouths by saying they can't work for groups not considered direct competition.

And REAL workers would have made the show despite the weather, which TNA can't assume they weren't. If the planes won't fly, you make other arrangements. Adrian Adonis knew that rule all too well.

If the airports would have been closed, they would have been stuck no matter how REAL they might be.

No one is saying TNA is trying to get people not to work for other companies like ROH, they just want people to start taking their PPVs more seriously.

Also, they signed contracts with TNA. If they felt being loyal to ROH was a bigger priority, they shouldn't have signed deals with another company.

No... TNA is going to learn that until they can pay enough to the non-headliners so they don't have to work indy shows, they can't ask talent to take food out of their mouths by saying they can't work for groups not considered direct competition.

What are you talking about. They've only pulled talent from shows twice. Once when RoH lied to them about the involvement of a pedophile in the company and the other time because a fucking blizzard was about to hit and they wanted to make sure everyone was in Orlando before it happened.

Guest bravesfan

From PWInsider:

TNA will be removing Roderick Strong and Austin Aries from their bookings for at least the next several tapings and possibly as long as several months in a disciplinary move for willingly putting themselves in a position where they could have missed the Against All Odds PPV this past weekend, despite orders to skip a Ring of Honor event to travel to Florida.

Aries and Strong were among a crew of TNA wrestlers scheduled toappear at Ring of Honor's Lake Grove, New York event the night before Against All Odds in Orlando. Due to the heavy snowstorm that was heading into the Northeast, TNA management requested that everyone leave immediately for the airport and booked them on flights to Orlando. Jay Lethal, Alex Shelley, and Homicide all left and flew to Orlando. Aries and Strong, who hold the ROH Tag Team belts, remained and worked the show. They flew to Florida the next morning and appeared on the PPV as scheduled in a loss to the Naturals.

Strong and Aries both lost matches at the Impact taping two nights later. Their storyline where they and Alex Shelley had been complaining that they were being given chances in TNA, which teased an eventual showdown with Jerry Lynn, was also dropped. The company was unhappy with the two not doing what was requested of them, which led to the decision to "bench them" for the time being. I'm not sure of exactly why but there is more heat on Aries for the situation then there is on Strong.

I was told by a number of sources that while TNA does value Aries and Strong's work, they unfortunately ended up being made an example of because management is tired of talents missing PPV events when advertised. Although they made the PPV, Strong and Aries are being penalized by TNA in an attempt to send a message to the locker room and will have to pay the price.

Like someone at DVDVR said, I wonder what they would've done if guys in higher positions (Joe, for one, who was on another tour) decided on honoring his commitment with ROH that Saturday night.

You can argue about TNA's reaction being too harsh, but the downside to TNA becoming a legit national wrestling company is that they gotta start establishing that guys under contract need to do what the office asks them to do.

If they're going to be taking Strong and Aries off TV for *months* then I think that's a bit excessive. That's up there with Marcellus Wallace throwing the Samoan dude out the window for giving his wife a foot massage. Then again, considering TNA only has an hour of TV a week, there's nothing guaranteeing they'd have been on anyway.

Also, where's the heat on ROH for not rescheduling the show since

A: They knew a snowstorm was headed their way.

B: Half the card went back for the TNA PPV.

C: Gabe hyped the shit out of a SUPERHUGEMEGASUPRISE which ended up being CM Punk coming back for a show. (OK, that's not a reason to reschedule, but it was still lame).

You'd think with all the respect ROH is supposed to have for their fans, they should have said "hey, it's going to get shitty and half our card has to be on the TNA PPV the next day, we're going to have to move the show".

They made a commitment to TNA and put themselves in a position to possibly miss it.

..but they have a commitment to ROH too and ROH "made" them. I know they signed TNA contracts and all that but unless the money was huge, I can't see a lot of the workers just leaving ROH in the cold.

Then again, Shelley & Homicide didn't go, so who the fuck knows. I do know that Strong & Aries hold gold in ROH and they're basically jobbers in TNA.

..but they have a commitment to ROH too and ROH "made" them. I know they signed TNA contracts and all that but unless the money was huge, I can't see a lot of the workers just leaving ROH in the cold.

This argument of guys owing something to ROH because they were made there doesn't make any sense. Does that mean the Rockers should have helped out the AWA when they were dying because they were made there, even at the expense of the company they had signed contracts to? Strong and Aries were basically jobbers in TNA because most people have never heard of ROH. Granted there is some crossover among the ROH and TNA fanbases, a lot of the people watching Spike TV have no idea what ROH is or why working there would grant someone an automatic push.

It's not even that the guys have to leave ROH in the cold either. Until TNA has some sort of houseshow circuit it would be dumb for them not to work both promotions. I think ROH just has to be more aware of the fact that a lot of their workers double dip and not schedule shows the day before TNA PPVs to avoid stuff like this from happening.

Bingo. I'd have less of a problem with this if TNA offered to pay them the money they would've lost had they missed the ROH show, but if they didn't do that and they still made the show they shouldn't be punished so harshly. I think they're being punished so harshly more out of a petty jealousy over their loyalty to ROH than to send a message to the rest of their lockerroom.