Pro Wrestling Only

Scott Steiner in talks with TNA

Guest savagerulz

Guest savagerulz

PWInsider reports that Scott Steiner is in talks with TNA Wrestling about coming in for the promotion's impending jump to Spike TV's Thursday night primetime lineup.

No deal has yet been made, but the discussions are believed to be serious.

This news comes on the heels of reports that TNA was looking to secure as many as five top "Monday Night Wars" era pro wrestlers not currently attached to WWE.

Thoughts?

I think that it'll probably get them some more mainstream viewers, and I don't think TNA will expose him by doing 20+minute main events.

Some people will probably complain, but TNA needs some names people have heard of to get some of the old WCW audience that doesn't watch wrestling anymore. If he gets some more eyeballs looking at TNA, I don't think it'll be a bad thing.

I think TNA is the perfect place to take advantage of Steiner. 1-2 minute squashes are perfect for not exposing him and I think he'd bring in some viewers. Plus he'd at most be wrestling twice a month so the injury bug might not bite him. The IWC will hate it but then they hate almost everything.

Guest savagerulz

I agree. I'm expecting a wealth of "oh man they're going to tank like WCW did" but as long as they get some names ex-viewers remember to draw them but keep the focus on the core group they have it's a good idea.

Plus hopefully he'll be able to cut a few promos that AREN'T written by the creative team... which is when Steiner is worth the price of admission.

If they're going to pay him Sting level money, he's not worth it, because he's not a difference maker. Most of the WCW audience is probably gone forever having found better things to watch on TV and if they were to return it wouldn't be because of Scott Steiner who wasn't pushed as a main eventer until the dying days of WCW. Moreover, Steiner was exposed as an immobile and clumsy shadow of his former self in his WWE run and his aura was damaged by feuding and teaming with bland career midcarder Test.

To make a counterpoint, the WCW fans that found something better to watch after wrestling, didn't see his downfall in WWE.

Also, although he might not have been a main eventer until the dying days of WCW, he was still all over the show, even if it was in the midcard feuding for the US title, and it's not like the stuff he did with his brother Rick as a tag team never happened.

Guest Jack D. Ripper

If he's healthy and motivated, this could work out well. Hopefully he's motivatd to show that he's not as bad as his WWe stint made him look.

To make a counterpoint, the WCW fans that found something better to watch after wrestling, didn't see his downfall in WWE.

Also, although he might not have been a main eventer until the dying days of WCW, he was still all over the show, even if it was in the midcard feuding for the US title, and it's not like the stuff he did with his brother Rick as a tag team never happened.

The thing is they've already got BG James, Christian, Jeff Jarrett, Billy Gunn, Konnan, Sting and Team 3D that casual fans are familiar with and another one isn't going to make much difference IMO unless he's a big enough star. If they had a two hour time slot and needed more stars to fill up the time then I could see him being more valuable, but they've already got too many wrestlers they want to push in the time available to them. The money spent on Steiner would be better spent on Goldberg, Jericho, Lesnar if he becomes available or a WWE star whose contract is up for renewal. Hell, spend it on Jim Cornette or Paul Heyman and you get a great TV performer and a great booker too.

Guest Cam Chaos

I'd be more interested in a Steiners Brothers comeback than Scott alone.

Mad Dog I believe Steiner was suspended by WCW repeatedly for refusing to do business, one that comes to mind being a job on Thunder which he strangled Terry Taylor over.

He's injury prone, 42 years old and TNA has much better options to build their future around.

...TNA brought in Kevin Nash.

TNA writes the kayfabe. If those guys beat Steiner, then those guys can beat Steiner. Simple as that.

I disagree. I think the fans have a lot of do with kayfabe as well, which is why some people think Rey winning the WWE title is so unbelievable.

Guest Jack D. Ripper

The uppercard is really the only place he fits in TNA, so I doubt he'll be midcarding. I just hope they use him smartly and don't put him over at the expense of guys TNA has built.

He's injury prone, 42 years old and TNA has much better options to build their future around.

TNA also brought in a midget to jerk off in a trash can. Both had equal value to TNA.

I disagree. I think the fans have a lot of do with kayfabe as well, which is why some people think Rey winning the WWE title is so unbelievable.

Those people are typically the people who pride themselves in not believing in wrestling anyway.

Guest Cam Chaos

Hey Loss, you'd know, was it a job to Mike Awesome on Thunder that led to Steiner strangling Taylor? I have a feeling it was but can't be arsed to dig through my Power Slams back that far.

That tirade against Flair was fucking brutal. I believe he said Flair had more wrinkles than a Sharpei puppy. Goddamn that's cold.

Hey Loss, you'd know, was it a job to Mike Awesome on Thunder that led to Steiner strangling Taylor? I have a feeling it was but can't be arsed to dig through my Power Slams back that far.

That tirade against Flair was fucking brutal. I believe he said Flair had more wrinkles than a Sharpei puppy. Goddamn that's cold.

I believe so, but I'm pretty sure the finish was changed or the match didn't happen. I know Steiner didn't lay down for sure.

The Flair tirade was pretty brutal, and it would have been fine had they at least not both been heels, or been in a program ... or something.

Guest Bruiser Chong

TNA writes the kayfabe. If those guys beat Steiner, then those guys can beat Steiner. Simple as that.

Are they building their future around Nash? I don't watch, but I also don't read anything about Nash being in any big programs.

And most fans are sheep. If the company promotes well, then more times than not, they can get the audience to respond accordingly.

Those people are typically the people who pride themselves in not believing in wrestling anyway.

Completely disagree. Couldn't disagree more. Hell, the most vocal wrestling fans I know, even ones that consider themselves "smart" to the business can't see Mysterio as a legitimate champion. I think the ones who can see him as the champion are actually the ones in the minority. Or at least the people that see him remaining the champion.

Suspension of disbelief can only go so far. Mysterio has been a topic of conversation here a lot in the past, a good conversation honestly, but I'm still not sold on him as World Champ. Neither are a lot of my friends or a lot of posters on TSM or SA, but I can only speak for myself.

I like Mysterio. Well, at least in small doses. When he's on, he's fabulous to watch. When he's off, he's still better than most. Still, I remember watching WCW and he was DWARFED, completely and utterly man-handled, by Curt Hennig. Curt isn't a small man but compared to a lot of the WWE wrestlers he is. He was throwing Mysterio around with ONE-ARM, Goldberg style. There's no way that Mysterio, as the champion, could have title defenses that are believable. The crowd aren't going to stay behind him after his second of third consecutive school boy/small package victory. Him beating Angle was always played up as a fluke. Hell, half his wins over Noble and other cruiserweights were played out as a fluke. When Batista comes back, do you think anyone would buy him losing to Mysterio? What about The Undertaker or even Mark Henry whom just beat Mysterio a couple weeks back on Smackdown? Hell, I thought the Royal Rumble itself came off extremely fake. Then you factor in all the Eddie stuff too and it's just asking for disaster.

WWE have set themselves up. Mysterio winning the title is the only real "feel-good" moment that they have left. However, unless WWE pulls an ECW and has him drop the title shortly after winning it, it's going to turn out bad. Even if the hispanic market is big. Even if it's a feel-good moment that sends the Wrestlemania crowd home happy. Even if Mysterio adopted the armbar submission that people have talked about and American wrestling took a more MMA style approach to matches Mysterio winning over main eventers isn't that believable. It'd be like if the 1-2-3 Kid had won the World Title back when he beat Razor...only even smaller than that. By about a foot.

Size shouldn't matter in wrestling but it does. There's two huge different ends to the spectrum. Andre the Giant down the the midgets. Andre was the main event and had the biggest house at a Wrestlemania ever with Hogan. The midgets were early card comedy acts. HBK going over Diesel? Alright. Mysterio winning the World title? I don't think I can suspend disbelief that much. He's just too small. He's under the line. He is the exception.

Wow, I thought that wound was going to heal. :P

I just don't have any faith that WWE would push Rey the way he'd need to be pushed as champ to make it work. I also don't see the guys who'd need to make it work be willing to do what it takes to put over a smaller guy like Rey in a way that didn't make them look stronger.