Pro Wrestling Only

Welcome back JR

Strummer

I didn't think he ever left? I was under the impression that he still had a backstage role..?

Anyway, no big surprise. With Austin announced as being at 'Mania, this makes sense.

The real question is, how will they play off what happened to JR? My theory was a throwaway comment like "we agreed to let bygones be bygones for the better of the company" or some shit.

Guest teke184

I think they'll pay it off by saying JR was only fired from RAW...

The new TV contract with them being on NBC is a loophole that someone in storyline (Teddy Long, perhaps?) exploited to brin him back.

Guest Famous Mortimer

JR has no sympathy from me next time he's booked to take bumps or kiss ass on TV. If he wants the fans to respect him, it would only make sense that he respect himself and stop crawling back every time he's asked to do so.

Fuckin' A.

JR has no sympathy from me next time he's booked to take bumps or kiss ass on TV. If he wants the fans to respect him, it would only make sense that he respect himself and stop crawling back every time he's asked to do so.

Fuckin' A.
Yeah, Loss is spot on. The odds on him getting humiliated again on TV are awfully high, because the McMahons still hate him and he'll have to be punished eventually for their embarrassing turnaround. Though I'm sure we'll have the same outburst of disgust if that happens from the people who will inevitably congratulate him now for leaving his self respect at the doorstep.

Guest savagerulz

Fuckin' A.
Yeah, Loss is spot on. The odds on him getting humiliated again on TV are awfully high, because the McMahons still hate him and he'll have to be punished eventually for their embarrassing turnaround. Though I'm sure we'll have the same outburst of disgust if that happens from the people who will inevitably congratulate him now for leaving his self respect at the doorstep.
He's on-air talent. Hate to break it to you, but JR is another guy on the payroll. The McMahons have little problem humiliating THEMSELVES for a story. Nobody who is a long standing employee avoids humiliation, unless they think it will cost them money. JR is forced to kiss ass and had to watch a fake version of himself get stuff pulled out of his ass. Stephanie walks to the ring to chants of "slut" and wrestled in shit with Trish Stratus. Bra and panty matches. Stinkfaces. On and on.

Certain people will get sympathy from two sources -- the wrestling fan who goes along with the storyline will feel bad for the "injustice" leading to things that will make them money. See: Current HBK and McMahon storyline. Now, we can debate on whether it will make money, or is effective in terms to doing what they (the WWE) wants, but the fact is, it's a work. The other group? Internet "protectors of wrestling's integrity" who will sympathize with employers being asked to do something by their employers.

JR isn't a stupid man. He's been around the business for a long time. He almost singlehandely helped UWF compete with the big boys, he's worked for just about any group worth a shit, and he's perhaps the most important non-owner figure in modern wrestling in terms of the decisions he's made, the talent he acquired, and the innovations he helped spur both on the microphone and in terms of how talent should be viewed. He's called some of the biggest matches in history, and said some of the most famous things EVER.

To imply that a man like that either doesn't know what's going on in the business or doesn't deserve a modicum of respect is ridiculous. Now, when he comes back and calls SNME, it will mean something. Do I personally like the "humiliate JR" thing? No. Because I don't think it draws money directly or indirectly. Does JR have the option to not do the storylines? Yes he has that option. Do I think he cares? Not really. JR understands the wrestling business. He knows that at the end of the day it's about putting asses in the seats. Period.

It's wrestling "know-it-alls" that always bitch and moan and think they are witness to the next thing that's going to doom wrestling. They've been around in newspapers, magazines, and the internet in various forms since wrestling has began. And their opinions matter just about as much as they always have...which is to say, not very much at all.

JR getting sympathy from marks and smart marks is an indication of his status as an employee and as a person of note in the business. Nothing more. Certainly, no one is saying "poor Boogeyman" for the things he is doing in order to keep and advance his job. When Dreamer was eating dog hair and drinking toilet water, there was some uproar. But in the end, it's his choice and he did what he wanted to do.

It's like Eddie goes to hell or I'm fucking Dustin's wife or dropping someone in dog shit.

It's wrestling. And the employees will do what is asked. They can say no, and some of them do. There are consequences to every decision. In the end, people will tend to point accusingly to the people in charge when there is something that offends, because that's who they should point towards. McMahon and his writing staff either come up with this shit, or approve someone else's idea. The buck stops with them. But the talent is the one who executes the ideas in the end.

Do I feel "bad" for JR when he's getting punked out by, say, Linda McMahon? Not really. I feel bad for wrestling in general. Because they didn't do anything with the thing. But they might. In the end, JR is going to be involved with this business until he dies. People wanted a new voice on Raw, and they got it. And many of them realize that it doesn't make that much of a difference. (Or will bullshit themselves and claim that it does.) JR will be around for the same reason Flair will be around. They've earned the right (in terms of wrestling's loyalty code) to work and make money, because they've help set the table for everyone else.

So JR is going to call SNME? Great. Is he going to be part of a storyline? Probably. But let the chips fall, I say.

Damn dude. You're annoying. Of all the boards around to act like a "know it all" at, this ain't the one. You should do it at TSM. Hell, they'll probably make you a mod. It worked for HTQ.

If your OPINION is that JR is okay to do this, then that's fine. Say that it's your feeling or opinion. But if other people think that JR is shooting himself in the foot or ruining any sympathy he may have gained from his storyline firing, then they can share that opinion without sanctimonious sermonizing from a jackass.

I just wish JR would stay behind the scenes. I know he's been a loyal employee and he used to be the best announcer of the professional wrestling, but once he started confusing the Dudleys it was time to step away from the mic. He's one of the best at getting an angle over, but he was quickly becoming horrible at getting individual workers over. Remember the wacky hilarity when Edge, Jericho, and Christian would all be in a match and JR was calling everyone by the wrong names?

I have my footage of Mid South/UWF/NWA if I want to hear JR when he was at the top of his game. When a wrestler who's obviously past his prime still tries to make a go of it, people call him on it, why should an announcer be any different?

Guest Mike Campbell

Gotta disagree here, Loss. I see JR's return as actually a victory for him, rather than an indictment of him. IIRC didn't JR want to simply focus on his role as a commentator and less on all the backstage and office duties?

He's taken off TV, the exact opposite of what he wanted done in the first place. Yes, the angle was tasteless and the anal skit was horrible. But looking at the big picture, the fans all respect JR because of how good he is (and he's nowhere near as good as he was even five years ago). It's the same principle as when Russo kept trying to make him a heel back in '99. It bombed because the fans simply respected him too damn much.

Now he's coming back. In effect he got his wish. Plus after the firing angle and the anal skit. What are the odds he gets a standing ovation from the fans at SNME, and at RAW (if he goes back) as well as WrestleMania?

Guest Famous Mortimer

Damn dude. You're annoying. Of all the boards around to act like a "know it all" at, this ain't the one. You should do it at TSM. Hell, they'll probably make you a mod. It worked for HTQ.

If your OPINION is that JR is okay to do this, then that's fine. Say that it's your feeling or opinion. But if other people think that JR is shooting himself in the foot or ruining any sympathy he may have gained from his storyline firing, then they can share that opinion without sanctimonious sermonizing from a jackass.

Looks like the only thing I'm saying in this thread...

...Fuckin' A.