Pro Wrestling Only

Saturday Night's Main Event

Coffey

So, are you watching?  

1. 1.

• Yup.
    • Nope.

And so what if some people on the 'net liked a show?  How's that make those who disagree wrong?

It doesn't at all. I didn't mean to convey that it did. I just wanted to illustrate that I wasn't alone in my boat. ;)

I recorded the show (glad that I did) and I'm going to re-watch it again, maybe twice, then I plan on writing a review of it. I'll post it here. I'm going to play some Warcraft for now to let some thoughts sink in though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest savagerulz

Mickie finally turning heel...

I'm almost embarassed by how excited I got over her whole segment. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a "heel turn" between male wrestlers in the WWE as much as I enjoyed hers. The recap before the match just reminded me of how brilliantly this thing has been built up, with it being drawn out over a long period of time in a manner that was never forced, and all of the developments along the way being plausible and logical. This is how you build a hot feud towards a Wrestlemania match!

It was obvious even when she made her debut that Mickie James would one day attack Trish and set up a Wrestlemania match between the two of them, but it still seemed cool and shocking when she did it. This is the best booked feud since Batista and Triple H last year. If the feuds for the world titles had been booked this well, instead of bullshit like Orton saying "Eddie is in hell" and Triple H making fun of Cena for having a shitty moveset, the world title matches/feuds set up for Wrestlemania this year might not seem so arbitrary.

I'm with both CRZ and Coffey. Very good show with the purpose of getting the mainstream audience in tune of what's going on in the company. Sort of had that ECW One Night Stand feel to it; no great matches or anything, but solid, top-to-bottom show.

Beer drinking segment was surprisingly good. Only disappointment was no Benoit participating in the celebration at the end. But, this is the most I've enjoyed Austin in at least 3 years. JBL was fantastic!

I was glad Benoit didn't join in at the end. He's my hero and I don't like to see my hero drink. That was one of the good things about the show.

Also keep in mind that they have that 12hr restriction of alcohol rule before matches now.

I didn't mean drinking necessarily, but to maybe just get a crowd pop and that's that. Like I said, they're on NBC, let the mainstream audience know who Benoit is and all that, that he's facing JBL at WrestleMania, etc. They're obviously using this show to build to Mania, it makes sense if they give Benoit a bit more time than to be Austin's difference maker.
Everything was extreamly boring tonight. They should've featured Benoit more prominately is something I agree with. However, it shouldn't be during a beer drinking contest. It should've been in a wrestling match. And they needed him on the card tonight because the wrestling was either nonexistent or lacklustre with the exception of Shane vs Michaels.

Too much focus on Austin getting over and not enough on Benoit and JBL.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Sounds like if you're a fan of the entertainment aspect, this was the show for you. If you're a fan of the werstling element, you hated it.

I see a lot of people saying that SNME used to be about building angles and not really the wrestling. I disagree. They built angles, but there was a lot of quality wrestling taking place in between.

Guest Primo Matarazzo

I caught a bit of the Austin/JBL segment.

I don't see how anyone can praise it. If you saw any WWF during '99, that's all it was. Typical, silly time-wasting angle. The only amusing part was watching those two crack each other up and try not to laugh during it.

Guest Bruiser Chong

And they needed him on the card tonight because the wrestling was either nonexistent or lacklustre with the exception of Shane vs Michaels.

That's sort of a sad statement when you think about it.

I caught a bit of the Austin/JBL segment.

I don't see how anyone can praise it.  If you saw any WWF during '99, that's all it was.  Typical, silly time-wasting angle.  The only amusing part was watching those two crack each other up and try not to laugh during it.

Just a reminder: Mick Foley presenting "this is your life" to The Rock is still, I believe, the highest rated moment in Raw history.

A lot of people really don't watch for the wrestling.

I'm trying to write parts of the review right now. I made an outline and jotted down some points that I wanted to convey but I just have so much to say, I feel like I'm getting disorganzied. I'm jumping around a lot.

I will say this though, something to think about. When WWE present something, and it's obvious what's going to happen, is it so bad when it actually does turn out that way? For example, we all knew that Mickie was going to turn heel. We saw it coming from a mile away. However, when it finally happened, I see some people acting like it sucks, or that it was too predictable or whatever. Everything doesn't have to be a swerve. Sometimes, the clear path is the best one. It just seems like you can't please everyone. If they do the swerve, people complain. If they don't do the swerve people complain. Why are the complainers the loudest?

Guest Bruiser Chong

Just a reminder: Mick Foley presenting "this is your life" to The Rock is still, I believe, the highest rated moment in Raw history.

Because if a lot of people watch it, it's quality. By that logic, Madea's Family Reunion is a good movie, because it topped the box office.

I see a lot of people saying that SNME used to be about building angles and not really the wrestling. I disagree. They built angles, but there was a lot of quality wrestling taking place in between.

I agree to an extent. The wrestling took a nosedive in the second half of 89 and would plummet even further the next 3 years until Flair arrived. Pretty much all the SNME's in 90 and 91 were angle driven shows with very little quality wrestling.

C'mon, anyone not liking tonight's show is really just looking for a reason to bitch. Those opening promos were awesome, I could just imagine the late 80s graphic logos for each guy behind them. It was a good "this is where we left off" nod to people who haven't watched since the last SNME before they moved into the modern style open.

And SNME has always been about angle advancement for the next PPV, which usually was Wrestlemania. The SNME format was always one good match for the workrate fans and pretty much everything else was angle advancement and/or Sportz Entertainment Moments. Austin and JBL drinking beer was more entertaining than Mene Gene and Lord Alfred going on a safari.

Because if a lot of people watch it, it's quality.
WWE is a business first. More viewers = more money.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Yeah, but that was a down time for the in-ring product in general. It would've been silly to expect the wrestling on SNME of that period to be any better than what the rest of the product of the time.

The company still had talent on the roster at that time though. Even during the drastic in ring decline you still had some quality matches on PPV, like Hart V Hennig from Summerslam 91,Busters/Harts, Rockers/Santana v Rougeus/Martel from SS 89, Hogan v Warrior from WM 6, Hogan v Savage from WM 7, etc. The SNME's in 90 and 91 became "themed" shows like the aforementioned safari one and the October Fest . They didn't even try to have good matches.

I have come back... well I have to say... I wasn't disappointed. I had low expectations going in, and while it had it's shitty moments, it was watchable. The opening promos seemed to flow superbly and it kind of introduced the "new" (I doubt there was much gain from the usual Raw) audience to the main characters of the lead in to Mania. I was surprised that they opened with the Raw ME vs SD ME, but I was entertained by the match at least for the angle advancement with HHH and Cena. Unfortunately I had commotion going on home during then so I missed the later portion, before catching Cena's reversal of the RKO. I liked the Booker T segment and thought it was a great way to build to the eventual match at Mania, and it really does build the Boogeyman up well as someone intimidating. The women's match was forgettable for the most part, though I recall it was alright. The turn was predictable, but like Coffey said, it was the best way to go. JBL was fun in his appearance, and Stone Cold was tolerable. The segment in general was ok, and it added a little fuel to the Benoit/JBL match. The Taker/Henry segment was pretty much just "there". The main event was what I expected it would be, a garbage brawl that was meant to advance the Vince/HBK feud and match at Mania. I do wonder how Bret Hart feels about it, hmm...

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Exactly. So many people jus missed the point. SNME has ALWAYS been a promotional outlet for something. Usually Wrestlemania. Tonights show you got one good match,another ok one and bunch of angle advancement, smaller matches thrown in. It was equal to the old Main Events.

It was suppossed to be like the old saturday nights main events and it was. You cant complain about not liking something when they say its gonna be a certain way and it is. We knew what we were getting going into it and thats what we got.

Its like Divas Undressed from a few years back. A rack of people watched it and then bitched about it cause all it had was the WWE Divas half naked and being silly. What the fuck were you expecting?!! A ****1/2 classic to break out between Jakie Gayda and Terri Runnels? Its all quite aggravating.

Internet wrestling fans are just addicted to complaining.

Didn't see the show, but it would have been bad business to trot out any matches longer than 6-8 minutes (aside from maybe a main event) when 2 hours on NBC is a chance to shoot major angles and get the storylines over heading into a lackluster Mania. I may not like it, I don't know, but I have no intentions of criticizing them for not having any good matches on the show in this case.

My hope is that in the long run, the spots on SNME will lead to them really toning down the huge number of title changes and angles that currently take place on Raw and Smackdown every single week.

Not to nitpick, but no, it isn't. This Is Your Life Rock did an 8.4. Austin-Undertaker from 6/28/99 did a 9.5.

The problem is that they run SNME very infrequently apparently. The next one is in June. So SNME is not much of a help in that department. But I agree with how it should be utilized. I don't know why people expected more of it. It's WWE for god's sakes. I read Rudo's rant at TSM about how people who enjoyed the show was undeserving of an opinion, at least to him. I found that to be really stupid and lame. He preaches that the audience wants something that pops them, and guess what? While it didn't really work, the attitude stuff on SNME was designed to pop the audience. To make the people who might have not seen WWE for a while to go "Oh yeah I remember this kinda stuff!" and they either decide it's nostalgic, and they watch again OR they go "Oh they still do this?" and tune out. Since I know Rudo comes here sometimes, I'd like to tell him, to his face, right now, that he is hypocritical.

I hate when people say "everyone who likes X is stupid". You don't like something? Fine. Call me stupid because I like something you don't? Fuck you I say. That "if you don't like the exact same things I do, then your opinion isn't valid" attitude is exactly how smarks got their reputation. It's not fair to single out RRR when he's hardly alone in this.

Oh I know. But he is the most recent example. Besides I expected more of Rudo, but I guess he is no better than the rest. Anyways, I re-watched the show, it wasn't as good as I said it was yesterday, but you know, compared to what they put out on Mondays and Fridays, it had a big-time feel, and I think that kinda helped make it look better than it was really. Still if people enjoyed it, let them.