Pro Wrestling Only

Orton Suspended

Guest savagerulz

Guest savagerulz

From PWInsider:

Although details are still sketchy at this time, PWInsider.com has learned that World Wrestling Entertainment has suspended Randy Orton for 60 days. I'm not yet sure of the reason, but I hope to have more on this story later today.

5:40 PM Update: WWE issued a text message via their mobile service confirming the story, citing that Orton had been suspended for "unprofessional conduct."

It should be interesting to see what WWE does at tonight's Smackdown taping as Orton had been advertised in the main event, challenging WWE World champion Rey Mysterio.

Guest savagerulz

Eddie dies. Batista gets injured. Orton gets suspended. It amazes me how much luck and circumstances have influenced Rey winning the title, and how it already looks like they're going to influence him having a long title reign. It seems like every person who could be chosen to be the champion before him gets taken out of the picture somehow, and now the same thing has happened to his first main challenger. Now if Angle would just get injured, Rey would be in the same position this time next year as Cena is in now, and JBL was a little over a year ago...someone that no one expects to be a champion, who keeps the belt for a surprisingly extended period of time nonetheless.

This begs the next question. Aside from Angle, who are the potential challengers for Rey? JBL, Benoit and Booker I guess, but they've all been in the midcard so long it may seem a little weird. Mark Henry just did a job for Undertaker, but he may still be a decent choice since Rey can get a win back. Rey/Taker is a match I'd love to see, but I doubt it will happen soon. They really need to do the next draft lottery sooner than later, and actually make it benefit Smackdown for once.

Guest savagerulz

If booked correctly Undertaker/Rey could be the ticket to Smackdown not seeming like so much the weak sister show.

"Just like Eddie you will rest...in...peace."

Kidding. Sort of.

Guest Dangerous A

Orton was at the SD tapings and was announced as wrestling next week as well, so who knows.

Worst. Suspension. Ever.
No kidding. So is the suspension off or is it like baseball and he is appealing the suspension and can perform until the appeal is over?

Way to discipline, WWE. :lol:

Guest bravesfan

From the newest Observer...

Randy Orton's suspension is a minimum 60 days - it's actually an indefinite suspension, and the incident is so bad that it's not a lock he'll be brought back.

Why do I get the feeling that PWI is finding out information the same time as we are?

According to Dave Meltzer his suspension doesn't start until April 12th, so maybe he'll be benched after all.

Yeah, I imagine the delay is simply working it into the storylines somehow (although God knows they'd be better off in general if they put this much attention in every other storyline). I expect an RKO on Teddy Long or something next week as the reasoning for his absence.

Guest CanadianChick

I just sort of assumed he'd get beat up bad by Angle to help set up an Angle heel turn (by beating up someone randomly, even if it is a heel).

Well if the greener than green grass green newbie deserves it, I'm glad he's suspended.

WWE should get a clue and start pushing guys who deserve it rather than shove green newbies down everybody's throats (Masters, Carlito, Orton, etc...)

Don't get me wrong, Carlito is pretty good, but seriously, having a n00b win the IC title on his first TV match was very stupid.

As stupid as referring to a professional wrestler as a "n00b?" We're talking about WWE here, not a random internet Counterstrike player.

I actually have come around on Orton. I like Masters. I'm even somewhat high on Carlito lately. Yet, when I go back and watch old tapes, I notice that a lot of my favorite wrestlers; age was the last thing on my mind. Hell, the majority of the guys that I liked would probaby catch shit today for not being some young up-and-comer. Age didn't matter back then like it does now. No one questioned age when Ron Bass was stabbing people in the face with a spur.

Look at some of the bigger names in Japan. If they can still go in the ring, the age doesn't matter. If they can't still go? Then it matters. Here, in the States, it seems like once you reach a certain age...that's it. Thanks for coming out. You're dead to the internet. I think that's also part of the reason why we keep getting "youngest World Champion ever!" and all these other monikers that mean dick-all.

Re: pushing green guys

Two of the top candidates of the past few years have been Chris Jericho and Eddy Guerrero, and they are no longer options. Benoit isn't really the type to build an entire company around, Booker T is revitalized but not really in a main event heel kind of way and you're left with Edge, RVD and Misterio, who all have their own sets of strengths and weaknesses. That's it. I think sometimes, the company has to take risks and be willing to fail. Some things aren't going to work, but they have to try them. It's why pushing guys like Orton and Carlito isn't the worst thing in the world. I think some people want WWE to be cautious, to a point where it would be a flaw, in who they select to push. Sometimes, they just have to shoot for the moon and see what happens. And not everything they try is going to work. That's just how it is, and I'd like to think they're aware of that.

This honestly isn't intended to be an apologist post, because WWE fucks up a lot of really obvious stuff, but I can't think of any other medium that reaches the masses as a form of entertainment with that many characters that's live in primetime for two hours a week, and has two more hours of first-run TV to shoot every week as well. It's a model WWE created that crushes them in some ways, just as it is the reason they make a lot of the mistakes they make.

Guest savagerulz

Main-event WWE SmackDown! wrestler Randy Orton was suspended indefinitely by WWE (with a sixty day minimum) this past week following a major incident that only worsened his already poor backstage reputation.

According to the Wrestling-Observer Newsletter, the final incident occurred at some point in Chicago?it is being called a "near disaster," and the feeling is that if Orton were not a top name, he would have been fired for his actions.

But by no means was this an isolated incident. It was Orton's behavior that initially prompted WWE management to give Kurt Angle the title vacated by Batista.

And, while Orton avoided a suspension due to being booked for the WrestleMania main-event, an incident after No Way Out forced WWE to nix giving him the title at the 'Mania pay-per-view.

These individual incidents only increased management's disapproval of Orton's behavior; he was specifically notorious for disrepecting female WWE workers.

Although the feeling is that by posting news of his suspension, WWE is practically confirming Randy Orton will come back, other insiders are not so sure that is the case and are even less sure that it will be in sixty days. There is already feeling within WWE that SmackDown! needs to create a new top heel; a returning Ken Kennedy could receive the chance to fill that slot.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

I dont know if Orton has an inate fear if sucess or hes jus a dick, but he needs to take a good look at himself. He hasnt added much to the company with his time there. Others have been more productive, with much less of a push. Be it from a success standpoint or a flat out entertainment standpoint. Ortons jus kinda coasted off of nepotism and douchebaggery. Cowboy Bob nearly gave Taker and STD casue hes half retarded, so hes fallen out of favor with the company. What does Orton have working in his favor at his point. Hes lucky if hes brought back in a mid card capacity.

As far as Carlito hes got an immediate mid card push...buts hes maintained it through his own ability. He stayed entertaining, has improved his moveset(the US version, anyway) he has some of the best charisma weve seen in awhile and is set for a strong face turn and mid card fued against chris masters. With a face turn he can do his crowd popping moves which apparantly he excelled at over in puerto rico. Nothing but good can come from this. Plus, mid card babyface sensation ric flair jus doesnt make a lick of sense.

That's the whole point with Orton. Pushing guys the maturity of a 7 year old doesn't help the company. After seeing his first big mistake, Vinny should have been smart enough not to keep away from shoving him down on fans. But he didn't. 14 year old girls loved it but the masses didn't. And now we get news on his suspension. What next? Winning the WWE title in his first match after the end of his suspension?

Carlito ended up being a good wrestler, the problem there was to give him a title on his very first match by cheating. All the heel finishes in WWE destroy the credibility of the titles (well other than the all mighty trip who can finish anyone in the ring with the pedigree because he's so darn good) When's the last time a heel actually won a match without cheating? Never! In fact, if a heel managed a victory over a face without a few chair shots or holding the tights, it would look so bad that fans would instantly put the face in the dog house. WWE needs to rebuild their match endings. Strong heels are build by having them being able to finish someone with an actual finisher without cheating at any point in a match. And not only trip.

As for pushing the n00bs, what's Masters done to deserve his push other than use steroids before they were "banned" by WWE? Sure pushing Flair in the mid card makes little sense, but certainly other wrestlers (who actually have talent) could be pushed.

Japanese promotions have their own problems, but that's either because the bookers keep wanting to push themselves or because they do a terrible job at pushing new stars. But one thing you won't see in Japan is a newbie getting a pin on a champion on day 1. Japanese promotions actually develop their young talent and push them when ready. Tanahashi is ready right now in NJ. Some may say he's been ready for 2 years, but the fans certainly didn't agree about that 2 years ago. Same goes with NOAH's failed experiment of pushing Rikio too soon. Misawa should have pushed the young man for another year before putting the belt on him.

So I would be perfectly happy with having trip and Angle as champs for another year as long as WWE pushed young talent properly. Build RVD, Edge, Batista, Cena and other as solid stars before putting the straps on them. And keep the Carlitos and Ortons away. Carlito could be ready foir a big push in a year or two, so could Benjamin. But having belts on them right now would be a huge mistake.