Pro Wrestling Only

ECW to return as full-time promotion

Guest savagerulz

Guest savagerulz

From PWInsider. Also comfirmed by Dave Meltzer:

WWE IS BRINGING BACK ECW AS A FULL TIME ENTITY, MAKING PLANS TO SIGN TALENT FROM THE GLORY YEARS FOR NEW VENTURE

by Dave Scherer @ 2:56:00 PM on 4/23/2006

WWE has made the decision to bring back Extreme Championship Wrestling as a full time entity and has begun talking with former ECW talent about returning to work for the new version of the legendary promotion. As of right now, WWE is targeting a September return for the promotion. No decision has been made as to exactly how the company will be brought back yet. It's possible that it will take over the present OVW territory, that it will be a promotion that gets matches on the Raw and/or Smackdown promotions or possibly in some other manner. Sources have told us that Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer will be booking ECW when it starts up.

WWE has already contacted a number of ECW wrestlers and contracts will be sent out to them this week. The talents are being offered three year deals which consist of a series of one year contracts, with rollover clauses. A number of wrestlers have been contacts so far. We can confirm that WWE has talked with The Sandman, Francine and Balls Mahoney and will be sending contracts out to them this week.

We will have more information on this story later today or tomorrow.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Ooo boy, let's rehash a style of wrestling that most of us agree is now dated, all while hiring back people who had no business being in wrestling to begin with. Naturally the fan boys are lapping this up.

Guest savagerulz

Exactly. Lets be honest, half that roster was almost talentless anyway. By the time they got to 2001 a lot of their more recognised names had either moved on, or were even more out of shape than they were in 97. It's now 2006.

Corino won't come in, Sandman's terrible, Funk's a broken down old man, Douglas can't go, Taz is an announcer, Dreamer's retired, Rhino's in TNA, Dudleys are in TNA, Kronus is awful, Saturn and him together again would be shockingly bad, Storm's pretty much retired, Credible was always terrible and bland anyway, Sabu's in TNA although not sure how solid his contract would be but meh, Lynn's in TNA and struggling to ever stay away from injury anymore, Awesome's horribly out of shape, Tanaka would never get over here full time I doubt, and I'm sure there's some other guys that I've missed who should be in there along with reasons why they either won't be there, or will suck.

Oh yeah, Raven, way past his best.

And RVD, good old RVD. So are we having a promotion that's basically him on his own carrying people or what?

Integrating new talent is fine but those hardcore ECW fans, who are the only people who will give a shit, at least at first, always struggle to accept new talent. who are they going to bring in to pad out the roster?

Nad idea all round, whether it's got Heyman and Dreamer booking it or not. Heyman's booking at times may have been sensational, but that last year of ECW was 110% panic booking the whole way through. It was horrible.

Jesus, Heyman must have a golden horseshoe up his ass. He's by far the luckiest man in wrestling history.

First he ends up the brains behind the hot promotion of the 90s that ended up changing the business, which ends in bankruptcy. Then he lands a job with WWE only to get kicked off the creative team for antagonzing the Veruca Salt of WWE. Then he manages to be in the right place at the right time when Corny quits as booker in OVW, he ends up in charge of WWE's top development territory. Now he ends up in charge of his old brand with the backing of WWE. Somewhere Steph is having a tantrum not seen outside of MTV's My Sweet 16.

Guest DylanWaco

This is the single worst idea they have ever had.

RVD has never carried anyone to anything and he's alot worse now than he ever was before.

I confess that I would like to see Mahoney because I've heard he's gotten really good, but aside from him I can't think of any ECW talent that I don't regularly see already that I would like to see again. Credible? He's a great theatrical bumper, but he's boring as shit and his offensive segments are amongst the worst I've ever seen. The Sandman? I like him more than most, but he's shit without his enterance as a charactor and I know the WWE ain't forking over for that. Dreamer? Once again, I like Tommy more than most, but I could live without ever seeing him near a ring again. Actually I would like to see Scorpio again, but I don't see why ECW would be needed to bring him back.

Yeah this'll be awful if it gets off the ground at all.

Actually, I would prefer they started fixing the problems that plague their own promotion.

Ditto. This is a classic case of "Let's bring back more nostalgia as a band-aid solution" rather than looking at the bigger picture.
What are you talking about Marty?

There are no problems in the WWE right now! Get with the program and chear for Cena! ;)

Guest Cam Chaos

I think this is officially when we can say Vince has lost his fucking mind. Seriously. He's not bring back old stars no one cares about, he's now bringing back old promotions only a small audience even cared about when it was around. Seriously, what the fuck? Is it mandatory to smoke crack in the bullpen now or what?

Eh, honestly, the way I see it, they'll just change the name of OVW to ECW to maybe increase some viewership. Of course it's not going to be the same as ECW used to be. ECW is dead and gone.

Also, the Sandman might be terrible but he's one of the faces of ECW, so you have to have him around.

Not to mention WWE doesn't own OVW so they really couldn't force them to become a new ECW brand. I guess they could say "do this or we'll pull our talent" but they can't come in and start putting up ECW signs all over the Davis Arena.

Guest Primo Matarazzo

With his fetish for constantly re-enacting controversial moments in wrestling "history", I simply can't wait until Vince hires NEW JACK and they re-do the MASS TRANSIT incident with COFFEY in the role of the fat kid.

Guest Jack D. Ripper

I don't want a full replica employing just ECW vets, but if there's a good mix of OVW guys and underused midcarders, I'll support this. Now, I just hope there's a tv show and that Heyman has minimal influence from family McMahon.