Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-02-24-NJPW/ROH-Honor Rising] Bullet Club (Cody & Marty Scurll) vs Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi)

ShittyLittleBoots

THE LOVERS ARE BACK, BABY. This was just pure fireworks from START to FINISH; one of those matches where when it ended I went "man, pro wrestling's the goddamn best". Korakuen was ROCKING, Omega & Ibushi are absolutely wonderful together, the character work by all involved was great (especially by Cody who was on FIRE) & the all around storytelling combined with the atmosphere was just amazing. Lovely, lovely, lovely stuff. ****1/2

This was pretty fun. Perhaps I'm missing something from not being familiar with the Golden Lovers' past work but this was little more than a particularly well executed ROH style tag. I do like how hot the crowd was and there were some nice little character moments (that kiss spot worked much better than I expected). Fiery babyface Omega works very well and the tandem spots with Ibushi are pretty much the highlight of the match. Loved the stereo Golden Triangle Moonsaults and the Golden Trigger is a nice new finisher to establish for the pair. Marty's more annoying habits came out here though. Constantly calling spots, always showboating for the crowd. Talk about a complete waste of a gimmick and persona. Overall, this was fun but not spectacular for me.

***3/4

This was super fun. Cody is basically a Bret Easton Ellis character at this point (except in a storyline that might actually be good) and it works for him. I cannot stand Scurrl's wrestling, but him as a sadboy actually works emotionally in a way that his cool guy shtick never does. The storyline really helps the desperation in the tags and saves and the crowd is fire. Kenny & Kota are ridiculous as always. Go Golden Lovers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This lacked structure to me and was just all over the place and not in a good way. Scurll faking he was going to give the Golden Lovers t-shirt to the fan and then tossing into the crowd was a pretty cool heel'ish moment and Omega's early big dive into the crowd was pretty cool. Cody and Scurll just standing around waiting for the Omega and Ibushi to figure out how they were going to do the stereo moonsaults was kinda lame, but it got over with the crowd, so more power to them. I'm not someone who particularly dislike Jr. matches, but this really wasn't anything special to me and just a standard Jr. tag match.

• 1 month later...

Once you get used with the super modern style (as someone who is not into the current scene that much), I kinda loved that stuff. It's a mix of heat and comedy, with jaw dropping spots worked in and a nice dynamic. Cody sitting in the crowd was precious, and Omega doing that insane dive on him sitting in the crowd was awesome. I don't get the hate Scurll seems to get around here, the guy is tons of fun and has shitloads of character. Omega cutting promos in Japanese never gets old either. Yeah, that's really the zeitgeist, this kind of stuff. Gotta love it.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-02-24-NJPW/ROH-Honor Rising] Bullet Club (Cody & Marty Scurll) vs Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi)