Pro Wrestling Only

Things You Miss In Wrestling

Mad Dog

Evil Russians: I still love this heel archtype.

Abdominal stretch: You don't see this hold nearly enough these days and it's even rarer for a heel to grab the ropes.

True Heels: Everyone's got to be this cool heel type now. It usually only accomplishes undercutting the babyface because a cool heel makes them look bland.

Mysterious Asian Heel: The type that never really talks and not much is known about. Also uses mist or salt to gain an unfair advantage.

Managers: The WWF has used male managers in almost a decade. It seems the current idea of a manager is parading a pair of tits out there and hoping that will somehow make up for the fact that a wrestler can't talk. Even the women valets aren't as interesting anymore. I'd take Sherri Martel over anyone out there right now.

Guest HarleyQuinn

Sleeper used for the babyface comeback.

Heel tactics in the ring. I'm talking about the "blind" tags, the eye pokes, the partner choking the babyface while the in ring partner distracts the ref, etc. Even in singles matches, the heels don't choke the guy in the corner while blocking the ref or pretend to get poked in the eye.

Guest Some Guy

I miss good tag team wrestling. Real teams with a team name that know how to work a proper tag match.

Good managers who are used properly. Managers are suppposed to get heat on their man, cheat to help him, and then get their ass kicked after the face wins teh blow off match. Now the few managers they have get beat up all the time by everyone who their man wrestles. Bobby Heenan didn't get beat up by Haku's opponents in the second match on the card, he got beat up by Hogan and Warrior in the main event.

Scott D'Amore has been the closest thing to a good old school manager in a long while. So of course people hate him and complain about everything he does right as a manager.

I thought Chris Candido had a lot of potential as a manager but he died after only a few months. I forgot James Mitchell as well. He's a really good manager.

Guest KingPK

Heel commentators in the vein of Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura. Lawler fit the bill all right in the beginning and Paul Heyman was pretty good in his tenure, but I miss commentators that root for the heels no matter what they do.

Heel commentators died when the NWO started. Heenan should have been siding with them every week on Nitro wearing a black and white t-shirt at the announce booth, but he didn't.

Sorry Loss, but I completely disagree with that statement. If Heenan did the typical heel shtick it makes the NWO look more fake and takes the heat off them. Heenan doing what he did put the NWO over as being more serious. This was a time when people were amazed at what was happening. There were even stories in the newspaper about the legal battle between WCW and WWF and how two big names had jumped ship. You could in no way stop the NWO's momentum.

I believe Heenan was responsible for a few of links of the NWO heatchain (I love making new words up) Same thing with Zbysko.

Guest Dorian

I miss wrestling. Not this soap opera stuff that is made out to be wrestling. You know, the days of when you could get a story in the ring, the announcers doing their jobs and takling about the match while also talking about things later on that night.

I also miss WCW. I know that sounds stupid and probably beaten to death, but I really do miss it.

Heel commentators died when the NWO started. Heenan should have been siding with them every week on Nitro wearing a black and white t-shirt at the announce booth, but he didn't.

Sorry Loss, but I completely disagree with that statement. If Heenan did the typical heel shtick it makes the NWO look more fake and takes the heat off them. Heenan doing what he did put the NWO over as being more serious. This was a time when people were amazed at what was happening. There were even stories in the newspaper about the legal battle between WCW and WWF and how two big names had jumped ship. You could in no way stop the NWO's momentum.

I believe Heenan was responsible for a few of links of the NWO heatchain (I love making new words up) Same thing with Zbysko.

I don't know, WP, I've always thought the only thing missing from the nWo was Bobby Heenan blatantly sucking up to them, wearing an nWo T-shirt on the air (even if it wasn't given to him), constantly praising them and Hogan (as if he'd never bashed Hogan ever in his career), etc. just strictly out of fear of them. If anyone could pull that off realistically, it was Bobby.

Guest Some Guy

I don't know, WP, I've always thought the only thing missing from the nWo was Bobby Heenan blatantly sucking up to them, wearing an nWo T-shirt on the air (even if it wasn't given to him), constantly praising them and Hogan (as if he'd never bashed Hogan ever in his career), etc. just strictly out of fear of them. If anyone could pull that off realistically, it was Bobby.
Heenan did do that a little bit with Hall and Nash, but I liked how he treated Hogan. As Bobby has explained it would have made no sense for him to do a 180 and start kissing Hogan's ass after 20 years or so of hating him. he did reluctantly admit that he liked some of the things Hogan was doing as a heel at times to stay consistant with Heenan's own character..

I miss WWF circa 1997. The ME scene was incredibly talented and everything was fresh and new. You had Bret as a heel for the first time in years, Austin on the rise, and Shawn allowed to be the character he was best at playing.

Now everything is a rehash and nothing is original.

Well, Heenan would do that a tiny bit in an obvious suck up fashion

But if I were a Heenan I wouldn't wear a shirt because I wouldn't want WCW along with the NWO to be upset with me. The NWO's not trustworthy and if I betrayed WCW than who's even going to give a thought about protecting me? I'm staying with the home team. Even I got loyalty despite being a bad guy.

Now, the importance of the NWO can not be overstated. It was bigger than Heenan and it was larger than life. I think we all have moments where the NWO angle really shone for us. Perhaps it was the very start of it when Hall appeared on Nitro or Hogan's turn at Bash at the Beach or the Outsiders attacking Rey Mysterio Jr. or the long time WCW rivals getting into the same ambulance after said incident. One of those incidents that really put over the NWO was when Heenan walked off of Nitro because he was worried about his safety. That sold the NWO in its formation stages and one of the NWO's defining moments. You can't cut off that momentum in its early stages (Remember, Heenan would still cheer for the WCW heels if it was WCW vs WCW so it wasn't like he was a new person or anything; he was just kayfabe legitably concerned about the NWO invaders) If Heenan had decided to go the typical "Wrestling is fake because the heel announcers always have to cheer the bad guys no matter what" than I think that would have hurt the NWO a good bit. Instead he used the tired old biased heel announcer cheerleading bit to put over the threat and reality of the NWO.

It's like weightraining. Say you're at 100pds for 10 reps of something. A good loss of strength would have you at 90pds for 10 reps. A signifigant gain of strength would have you at 110pds for 10 reps. The difference isn't 10 pds (which is still very signifigant) but actually 20 pds. That is a huge difference and I think this is a fair comparison to the importance Heenan had on the NWO's momentum.

I miss the days where a wrestler having garbage thrown at him meant he was a good heel and not that people were bored with him. I'm looking at you, Jeff Jarrett.

Hell, I like Jeff Jarrett and I'm bored with him as NWA World Champion.

I missed promotions really trying to sell wrestling as a legitimate sport. It used to be that winning and losing was important. Nowadays the winners/losers are secondary to the drama.

Guest Bruiser Chong

- PPVs feeling like special events. There was so much build to each event and all but the most minute matches got in on it. Often times, we'd even see new outfits (i.e. a previously unseen color of tights for a wrestler), which added a subtle, but effective dash to the magnitude of it all.

- The old Survivor Series opening. They only did it a couple years, but the openings with the Vince McMahon voice-over going down the card was great. This was done for the early Rumbles, too. Just fun stuff that made you know you were seeing something different.

- Strong midcards. These used to be the most fun parts of the show for me. Now there's just no substance to be found.

- Unique entrance music. This is one of the key things that always separated WWF and WCW for me. WCW had a lot of generic entrance themes for their roster, even the more prominent members. On the other hand, most of the WWF roster had distinct themes. Who doesn't remember the opening chords of the Warrior's theme, the rumbling of Earthquake's, the laughter of Dibiase's, and of course, Hogan's?

Guest HarleyQuinn

Even nowadays there are still themes in the WWE that stand out (Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam, DX, Kurt Angle) but it seems that the further you go 'down' the roster, the more generic the theme songs sound.

Another thing I miss...

- The mini promos during shows like Superstars or on PPVs similar to the Pulp Fiction monologues in ECW. Those 1-2 minute promos by wrestlers getting the point across quickly. Nowadays, every promo has to go 4-5 minutes or if it's a big name promo, 10 minutes.

I miss Edge & Christian promos with the poses and making fun of the Red Wings for constantly choking in the NHL playoffs.

Needless to say, I also miss Christian's really cool huge sunglasses.