Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-07-19-NJPW-G1 Climax] Kenny Omega vs Hirooki Goto

MoeTWrestling

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2018-07-19 NJPW G1 Climax] Kenny Omega vs Hirooki Goto

While I'm lower than most on the Ishii/Naito match, I seem to be higher than a lot of people (except for Meltzer) on this one. Yes, Omega was being goofier than he's been recently, and Goto doesn't do much for me outside of certain contexts (e.g. vs. Shibata or Suzuki), but I thought this was a fun, engaging match that did a few things you don't really see in NJPW main events (the fighting into the stands), and never dragged. I wouldn't say it was a high-end MOTYC - or even approaching that level - but it was a really fun match with some nice memorable moments.

A G1 rematch of the finals match from 2 years ago. While I can't say this was close to the level of their first match or even their second match a few months later, I can safely say they still delivered a very fun and physical match. Loved the brawling in the beginning that went out into the crowd that led to that amazing moonsault from Kenny. Great sequences that led into the finish with Kenny going 3 and 0 against Goto for the win, ****1/2.

This was a solid match that unfortunately didn't approach the standard they set in the 2016 G1 Finals.  I thought Omega as champion controlled way too much of a match that called for Goto to dominate in an attempt to establish himself as a viable threat.  Brawling in the bleachers was solid but not quite credible enough to raise this above fun.  Credit to them for getting Korakeun to buy into a near fall or 2 for Goto down the stretch.  As much as I enjoyed this, their history left me thinking more about what was left on the table than what was delivered.

***1/2

Liked this a lot even if it wasn't as good as their 2016 matches. Goto has done pretty well for himself this after a thoroughly disappointing 2017, but this might have been his best match this year. Thought the crowd brawling worked well and added something a bit different to their prior encounters and Goto getting a bit more aggressive really fit their history as well. 

Really fun match and one of my favorites of the tournament thus far. ****1/4.

• 2 weeks later...

About what I've come to expect from a G1 match in the modern era. Some cool spots, hard hitting strikes, and nice near-falls, even though I never thought Goto had any prayer of winning. I'll agree with WngedEagle that Goto should have controlled more of the match to set up any real sense of drama.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-07-19-NJPW-G1 Climax] Kenny Omega vs Hirooki Goto