Pro Wrestling Only

RAW

goodhelmet

Well, I turn on RAW to give it a second shot as Bischoff announces the Last Man Standing match.

Now, if you aren't watching, this is great... the crowd shits on Lita. Trish tries to deflect the heat towards her but Lita gets hers. Might as well make her a heel right now... or is she a heel? If she is a face, she is the worst face since HonkyTonk Man debuted. Well, they make an ugly segment uglier with Viscera coming out.

So, Piper gets signed. Viscera is back. Matt Hardy and Rhyno get released? Gotta love this company.

RAW thoughts so far...

The Jericho song sucked. I hope the match is good because Y2J is slipping although the new men-in-tights Robin hood hairdo is different.

Still laughing over the You Screwed Matt chants.

Chris Masters is a fuckign joke... a fucking full-nelson??? BillyJack Haynes 2K5.

I don't know about Christian in the ring but his mic work was great tonight. He called John Cena fucking Marky Mark. I was dying of laughter.

Vince FINALLY announces the draft so see the threads a coming.

Announced for Backlash...

Jericho vs. Shelton

Benoit vs. Edge Last Man Standing

These matches look interesting so I may watch this show.

Christian was fucking GREAT on the mic. With the strides he has made in the ring in the past 12 months, and his speaking ability, there's no reason they can't move him to Smackdown and program him with Cena. Putting Christian at that level is actually less of a leap than elevating JBL cold turkey was, and I think Christian stands a better chance of getting over, provided they let him establish himself before actually doing that match. He smokes Jericho on the mic at this stage of both of their careers.

Jericho does seem motivated to work with Benjamin though, perhaps because he's the hot new star and the potential is there to have a good match. The song did suck, as Helmet said. Y2J is almost completely dead in the water.

The crowd turning on Lita was glorious. Trish tried everything she could to keep them against her, and did everything right, but it didn't quite work. She's still the most compelling person on RAW. It's a shame they had to fire everyone who could be an opponent for her, and it's also a shame that they're making her get Viscera over. She deserves much better, and if this is all they have planned for her on RAW, switch her to Smackdown and let her lead heel after heel toward John Cena. The chemistry is there and it would get over well if over time a Vitamin C reunion took place with Trish leading the way as they together tried to destroy Cena. You can also do Jericho/Christian v Eddy/Rey, Jericho v Taker, Christian v Eddy, Christian v Rey, Jericho v Cena, Christian v Cena, Jericho v Rey, Jericho v Eddy, Jericho/Angle/Christian/JBL v Cena/Eddy/Rey/Show, Jericho v Show and tons of other matches I haven't even mentioned. Yeah, it would take a lot to reunite Jerichristian after all the feuding they've done, but if it was played out over time, with Jericho in Christian's shadow this time around, it could work out. It would also give both Edge and Christian a chance to get away from each other.

The Heartthrobs suck. I have no clue why Meltzer and Cornette were singing their praises so highly. The gimmick is just like Kwee Wee's gimmick in WCW, and no one was calling Alan Funk a future megastar. Regal is a really great ring general, as it was obvious the 'Throbs were nervous and he was helping them keep their cool. Taijiri was total Taijiri-by-the-numbers, which is acceptable, but not anything great.

Hogan's return was done properly, but it's depressing to me that this is what pro wrestling is, especially when I think of Ric Flair's place by comparison. Yeah, Hogan has always been in a different league as a star than Flair, but there's no reason that Flair couldn't have been protected in the same way as he got older so he could come back and get that huge return pop and one-time buyrate against other big names, working the occasional dream match. That's the way it should be, but Flair has been beaten down so much so consistently that I never see that happening, and it's too late to fix the problem now. Hogan/HBK ... yeah, it's a match of two big names, but there's zero chemistry in the characters there, and I don't think that's going to be a viable match for them this summer if that's what they're thinking. They'd be better off running Hogan/Hassan in singles after the tag match (if he's going to stay around, and you never know with Hogan).

Thank God they are finally doing the draft.

I feel bad for Trish. Can't wait for next week when they do vignettes implying Trish slept with Big Vis. It wouldn't suprise me if they filmed vignettes similar to the Noble/Torrie Wilson stuff in summer of 2003.

I guess Kane v Vis at Backlash, yeah poor Trish, but what about poor Kane, Kane sold more for Vis than he has for the most of the guys he's feuded with.

Are they turning Jericho heel?

The hearthrobs act wasn't over at all in NYC, probably would have been more over in a rural setting. These guys obviously are not ready in-ring wise, but I could see them getting over with their gimmick eventually

Hogan's return was done properly, but it's depressing to me that this is what pro wrestling is, especially when I think of Ric Flair's place by comparison. Yeah, Hogan has always been in a different league as a star than Flair, but there's no reason that Flair couldn't have been protected in the same way as he got older so he could come back and get that huge return pop and one-time buyrate against other big names, working the occasional dream match. That's the way it should be, but Flair has been beaten down so much so consistently that I never see that happening, and it's too late to fix the problem now.

I think Hogan is more responsible for that than the WWE, honestly. If Hogan had stuck around for years without taking a break, I am sure his role would be significantly altered as well. But Hogan is a savvy businessman like that.

And full credit to Ric Flair for being perhaps the only wrestling "legend" from the Monday Night Wars to continue working regularly. Hogan, Hall, Nash, Savage, Page, Goldberg, Austin, etc. took their paychecks and went home, but we still have Flair.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind Big Vis. I mean he's actually not that bad of a worker for a big guy. How many near-500 pounders even attempt a spinning heel kick? As long as he isn't main eventing PPVs I don't have a problem with him feuding with Kane.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Is anyone else surprised that they gave away Hogan's return to Raw with no build up ? They did the same thing with Austin's return to Raw, and Hogan's return to PPV at WM XXI.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind Big Vis. I mean he's actually not that bad of a worker for a big guy. How many near-500 pounders even attempt a spinning heel kick? As long as he isn't main eventing PPVs I don't have a problem with him feuding with Kane.

I was thinking the same thing last night. He's still bad, but I think he has improved in the ring. He's better than Heidenreich and Snitsky for sure, although that is not saying much. He's definitely better than he was in the mid 90s

Guest Cam Chaos

Is anyone else surprised that they gave away Hogan's return to Raw with no build up ? They did the same thing with Austin's return to Raw, and Hogan's return to PPV at WM XXI.

They did kind of give away he'd show up last week and also as they started selling Hulk shirts through Shopzone. I think they are trying to make the shows unpredictable again but not very effectively, what with the telegraphing through marketing and all.

Vis is apparently well liked and doesn't mind jobbing at this point in his career as he's happy for the exposure and money. I believe he's on a per appearance deal so it's not like he's a massive drain on resources, they pay him when they want him to show up.

Vis must be tight with Jerry Lawler, he's always working his Memphis shows between his WWE gigs.

I think Vis has a case of Terry Taylor Disease where he was tagged with a lame gimmick (Mable? wtf was that?) in his first WWF run. Not to mention people that were upset that he won the King of the Ring.

As far as telegraphing shows, I think its a sign of desparation. They're trying to get people to watch so they spoil things that used to be suprises.

Guest Cam Chaos

I know it's wrong to even contemplate, but I cannot even fathom how Vis and Trish could get it on without Trish dying or suffocating.