Pro Wrestling Only

Jericho makes controversial comments on radio show

Loss

I'm unable to find a good recap or transcript; I'm only finding tidbits here and there. Basically, Jericho said it was fucked up that Matt Hardy was at home rehabbing his knee and got fired for doing nothing wrong. He called it bad business on WWE's part. He was also asked about the focus staying on HHH, even when he's not champ, and Jericho said it's nothing new, because it happened to him, and Benoit, and Orton, and now it's happening to Batista. He said HHH is the guy they have all the time invested in, and personally, he would have liked to have seen things handled a little differently, but that overall, he's happy with his time in the company. He then said HHH is what Hogan was 10 years ago. He denied ever saying that he wanted out of the company when his contract expires this summer, but also said that he doesn't know what's going to happen.

I think someone like Jericho is safe, like Van Dam, because they know if they released him, he could jump to TNA and make a huge impact, but I'm sure this is going to get him some heat.

Guest Cam Chaos

I think he and RVD are in the same boat: over but not pushed consistently, disenchanted because their opportunities to become big stars were blown, realise they are in ruts but have job security because given the right push and opportunities they could still possibly draw elsewhere. As such whatever they say doesn't matter in the long run: they sell merchandise and pop crowds and that's all they remain employed to do. I don't think Jericho believes he'll ever get another run on top; the fact he's the record holder for IC title rains but only held the big belt once and during thay time acted as a poop scooper says it all to him in terms of how the company views him.

Guest The Metal Maniac

He then said HHH is what Hogan was 10 years ago.

I fucking hate HHH being compared to Hogan.

Hogan made money, and was a face, so people actually *liked* seeing him go over everyone all the time. HHH is like, the anti-Hogan.

Maniac, your avatar rules. Too bad no one else here probably gets it, except maybe treble or any Canadian lurking here.

Anyways, regarding the HHH-Hogan comparison: Wasn't Hogan 10 years ago a guy who had a stranglehold grip on the company who was with, and who dictated the overall direction to suit his wants and needs? Sure, WCW made money in 1995, but maybe there's a subtle blasting of HHH that Jericho's making here...

I think Marty hit the nail on the head. In Jericho's mind, I think "10 years ago" equates to his time in WCW, even if he showed up there only nine years ago. In the past, he made his feelings on Hogan's position in WCW quite known.

Bah, I haven't cared about Jericho since he was a Cruiserweight in WCW. He hasn't really done anything in WWE that I care about. Certainly nothing from a workrate standpoint. He's no Benoit or Angle. Never really was. Actually, I've always thought he was overrated. He can be humorous on occasion but so can a lot of other wrestlers.

Bah, I haven't cared about Jericho since he was a Cruiserweight in WCW. He hasn't really done anything in WWE that I care about. Certainly nothing from a workrate standpoint. He's no Benoit or Angle. Never really was. Actually, I've always thought he was overrated. He can be humorous on occasion but so can a lot of other wrestlers.

Jericho is ten times the worker Angle is but that is for another debate.

Coffey, what's your opinion on these matches?

Chris Jericho v HHH - Fully Loaded 2000

Chris Jericho v Chris Benoit - Royal Rumble 2001

Chris Jericho v Chris Benoit v Eddy Guerrero v X-Pac - No Way Out 2001

Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit v Steve Austin & HHH - RAW 05/21/01

Chris Jericho v The Rock - No Mercy 2001

Chris Jericho v The Rock - Vengeance 2001

Chris Jericho v The Rock - Royal Rumble 2002

Chris Jericho v HHH - Wrestlemania XVIII

Chris Jericho v HHH - Judgment Day 2002

Chris Jericho v Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania XIX

Now, overall, I think Jericho is very overrated as a worker (and am even having that exact argument at another board), but I do think he's one of the top five workers in WWE. On a global scale or an all-time scale, he's nothing special, but he's better than almost all of his WWE peers.

Jericho is ten times the worker Angle is but that is for another debate.
Agreed. Angle is a better athlete, but Jericho is a better seller, is better at structuring a match, is better at creating drama within the confines of a match and is better at getting heat.

Guest Cam Chaos

Jericho would probably be better in the ring these days if he still gave a shit. The fact he has to act like he actually wants an 8th IC reign probably doesn't give him great motivation.

All the matches you listed are ones where Jericho is matched up with the best workers in the company (yes I'd consider HHH and HBK great when motivated).

No one's saying Jericho isn't capable in the ring, and when he's matched with a solid worker who's on his game it usually makes a great match.

It's when Jericho is matched with lesser workers when his faults tend to show.

Guest Alfdogg

Plus, everyone always talks about what a "great" worker HHH was in 2000, and it was the same deal with him, his main feuds that year were Foley/Rock/Angle/Jericho and a short one with Benoit. I rarely see that used as an argument against him.

There is no one in the company, with the possible exception of Eddy Guerrero, who has had memorably good matches with bad opponents. Jericho is often criticized for not having ****1/2 matches with Big Show and Kane, as if anyone has. But if we're talking about Jericho's ability to carry slugs, witness his total carry job of Kane, almost against Kane's will, when he dropped the IC title to him in September of 2002; witness him getting passable matches out of Scott Steiner, Bill Goldberg and Kevin Nash in 2003; witness him carrying Hulk Hogan to his best non-Rock matches in over 10 years; witness him carrying Jeff Hardy at No Way Out 2003. And of course, Meltzer always refers to the phantom match where he got ***1/2 out of Viscera on a house show Dave saw live. Hell, Jericho got two decent matches out of CHYNA.

If you want to criticize Jericho's carrying ability, be my guest, but if you're comparing him to his WWE peers, you'll have to explain when HHH, HBK (since his comeback), Angle and Benoit have had great matches with slugs since being in WWE.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

And of course, Meltzer always refers to the phantom match where he got ***1/2 out of Viscera on a house show Dave saw live.

That happened on Heat. I saw the match too, and I swear to whatever god you believe in it was a legit ***1/2. It was the most incredible carry job of someone like Viscera I've ever seen. For those interested, the Heat in question aired April 9th 2000.

Here's a better recap:

Chris Jericho was on the Opie and Anthony Show yesterday, here are a few highlights:

On Macho Man's rap album: Here's the secret. If you're a wrestling guy and you want to make a record, don't sing about wrestling, or rap about wrestling. It's terrible. That is F***ing terrible.

A caller asked: "...What the hell is the deal with HHH?. Come on, you've got a new champion with Batista and HHH is all over saying how wonderful he is. Booking 101 says that's not how you promote a new champion, it's ridiculous. I know you're unhappy there and you talked about not renewing your contract."

Jericho responded: HHH is, I mean he's the star of the show on our show, and that's how he's promoted as, and that's how he's pushed, and that's kind of the guy they're going with similar to how Hulk Hogan was 10 years ago, and maybe some day HHH will have his own record - HHH in Triple Heaven, I'm not sure.

On renewing his contract: Well my contract is up in about 8 months and if you asked me today I'd say absolutely not. We just got back from Australia on Sunday and you can hear the funk in my voice. I'm dead sick. I'm home for 6 days and then we have to wing over to England for 7 days.

On the internet: The kids are controlling the world, and the guys read it and believe it. Some guys don't know if they've had a good match or not until they read the internet to tell them

A person called in: "Ask Chris about Lita banging Edge behind Matt Hardy's back.?  Watch him squirm." To which Jericho responded: Watch who squirm, me? I'm not squirming about s*** man. That's a s****y situation and it's wrong and shouldn't have happened. You know, I'm not squirming about it. I got nothing to be ashamed of. But it's bad business man. They fired Matt Hardy as a result and how could you be sitting at home rehabbing your knee and a month later you lose your girlfriend and your job for doing nothing wrong, you know what I mean? So. Yeah, it's the s***s.

On the Joanie Laurer/Sean Waltman sex tape: First of all I haven't watched that. I can't watch it. But it's bad when Chyna's c*** is bigger than X-pac's penis.

Oh boy.

From the Torch:

-- Chris Jericho, who has become even more outspoken than ever about WWE, may not renew his contract. His deal with the company ends late this year, and he has been very open about his frustrations. A source close to Jericho backstage, says that he is stale and knows it, but is frustrated that he isn't given more attention from the creative staff.

The creative team, of about 8 or 9 members, feels that it's not worth heavily investing any time in him until he renews his contract. This means that Jericho isn't a top candidate to be moved to Smackdown in the upcoming draft, and given a renewed push.

I'm hoping Meltzer will have more on this in the Observer. Or, maybe HTQ can answer, has he already?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Here's a better recap:

On the internet: The kids are controlling the world, and the guys read it and believe it. Some guys don't know if they've had a good match or not until they read the internet to tell them

Chris might want to go back in time to 2002 and tell himself this.