Pro Wrestling Only

World Class Championship Wrestling on the Network

flyonthewall2983

Was that the final nail in that podcast? Manning stinks. 

Sorry, we're just at early 1983 on the World Cast podcast and Manning has been the fucking worst since we started this last year. He's treated like a top babyface and he's a high pitched, little Jimmy Hart sized ref who wins feuds against wrestlers! He's presented as an honorary Von Erich! I'd guess he was the blow connection, but that's Candyman Ken Mantell. He had to have had pictures of Fritz at a Leather Bar to be featured like this.

The way he tells it, he was discovered by helping out Kerry in wrestling practice (despite not even being a coach at his school). He knew Fritz because he was a fan, and he was eventually hired as a referee. He said they made a big deal out of him being the youngest-ever referee since all of them at that point were usually just retired guys. 

On 9/2/2018 at 3:43 PM, sek69 said:

I would imagine they never ran there because Chicago was AWA territory, the old school promoter's mentality of not invading another one's turf. They ran in the Northeast since Vince obviously wasn't playing by the rules. 

If I remember correctly the Von Erich  boys wanted to expand , but Fritz actually shrunk the territory .  Fritz did not want to  run outside of  the Dallas / North Texas region. I guess Fritz did not want to tale on  a lot of risk at his age. 

It's opposite the problem a few of these promotions had in the wake of the WWF getting huge, running in places like New York or Chicago and not keeping things at home to where the demand can meet the supply. Flair always says running Chicago instead of Greensboro for Starrcade was the beginning of the end. In the case of the Von Erichs they had the demand because they were drawing such good ratings with their syndicated show. It would have at least made sense of something like breaking away from the NWA.