Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-06-19-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs Dick Murdoch

Superstar Sleeze

Antonio Inoki vs Dick Murdoch - NJPW 6/19/86

I believe this was the final of the 1986 IWGP League.

The match feels JIP because right out the gate Murdoch hits three slams and goes to work on the arm. It feels like they just fast forwarded to the heat segment and it was not earned. However, they more than make up for it with some really amazing work. We all know Murdoch is a pro at torturing the arm with both holds and strikes. He is always great facial expressions and attitude. I thought Inoki sold the arm like a million bucks. Murdoch went out after Inoki during every rope break or powder with showed his tenacity but also his willingness to bend the rules. I liked Inoki showing this much vulnerability and little things like not being able to lock up fully and also trying to play keep away with his arm. The match really picked up for me with that desperation enziguiri from Inoki. Murdoch took it like a champ. I love how Inoki used nothing but head shots to rally in the match. With his arm dangling at his side, he forsook wrestling and just punched and kicked Murdoch in the head. He lets out a roar at one point and the crowd rallied behind him. Murdoch looked great as always. Murdoch had one amazing punch that hit Inoki right on the button but Inoki kicked him in the face. Inoki missed a kneedrop and Murdoch went back to work on the arm. Does anyone make a reverse elbow or a simple standing elbow drop look better than Dick Murdoch? He is the man. Murdoch gets a piledriver, but keeps pressing his advantage on the arm. I dont like the cross armbreaker being disrespected as just another hold, but it is 1986 so the shoot style revolution has not taken complete hold yet even if they are in the midst of the UWF invasion. Again how does Inoki begin his comeback but a shot to the head via a dropkick. I love how he is using headshots to rock Murdoch and get himself back in it. The match kind of devolves into a spotfest for a lack of a better term. It is just a really big grand finale. Murdoch rams Inoki's head into the post and he is bleeding. You have Inoki doing top rope kneedrops. Murdoch hitting a brainbuster. Fighting on the outside, multiple countout teases. Inoki hits an enziguiri and Murdoch does a delayed somersault. Murdoch is entertainment personified you cant help but smile when he is wrestling. The finish is fucked up. Inoki hits an enziguiri and then a German suplex with a bridge for a huge pop. The ref pulls up at three for some reason, Murodch did not really kick out. The crowd thought he won and threw in streamers, but the wrestlers act like it is still going. Inoki hits another enziguiri for three, but again it is weird. There is a delayed reaction. The ref does not call for the bell immediately or raise Inoki's hand, but the announcer announces Inoki as the winner. 

The finish took a lot of wind out of the sails of otherwise superb match. Murdoch was on fire here both on offense and bumping & stooging. He was putting on a clinic. Credit to Inoki great vulnerability and some really fiery comebacks. The strange finish and the haphazard finish stretch keep this from classic status, but I do recommend to watch it for the great arm psychology and Inoki working the first comeback. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1986-06-19-NJPW] Antonio Inoki vs Dick Murdoch
  • 9 months later...