Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #1: El Dandy, Angel Azteca & El Texano vs Fuerza Guerrera, Jerry Estrada & Pierroth

Loss

The way the top rope snapped in the first fall, I'm surprised Pierroth Jr. survived, much less ended up continuing to wrestle for as long as he has. That could have ended a lot of men's careers.

Solid match, but with the Spanish commentary I got completely confused as to who the captains were and, as such, couldn't immediately figure out when each fall ended. And did the graphic announce Estrada's team as the winners? I'm assuming a DQ for the Tombstone piledriver?

My Spanish is rudimentary at best, but I'm pretty sure Dandy and Pierroth were the captains here.

That replay of Pierroth folding in half on the apron after the rope break was pretty sick. It's kind of ironic that for all the flying moves in lucha, the ropes would break on something so basic.

I have only seen this match once, and it was way before I actually put it on the DVD. I don't recall who the captain was, only that poor Fuerza Guerrera kept pinning the wrong guy. If memory serves me correctly, Fuerza pinned Azteca and Texano, but not Dandy. So I think yes, Dandy was the captain.

I need to rewatch this.

I included this because I thought it was a good introduction to a lot of people in lucha that get discussed quite a bit. I think what I remember impressing me most about this was that there was no Kevin Nash tore his quad-style freakout after Pierroth hurt himself.

• 3 months later...

I included this because I thought it was a good introduction to a lot of people in lucha that get discussed quite a bit. I think what I remember impressing me most about this was that there was no Kevin Nash tore his quad-style freakout after Pierroth hurt himself.

Yeah, the hideous accident didn't really deter everyone else from brawling on the other side of the ring.

There are a lot of better matches than this, but like you said, it is a good introduction to some of the more pimped older luchadors. Dandy, Fuerza, and Estrada are three of the all-time great workers, and Dandy's exchanges with both of those rudos are amazing. The recently deceased Angel Azteca and slightly less recently deceased El Texano weren't exactly slouches, either. Azteca might throw the best armdrags I've ever seen. He has a million different ways of pulling them off and they all rule. Pierroth didn't get to do much before the accident. I'm just surprised he didn't beat Azteca and Texano to the graveyard.

This match confrimed that I need to see DVDs filled with Jerry Estrada. Holy shit was he incredible here. Yes, Pierroth's accidental bump looked ultra nasty, but Estrada seemed willing to dump himself on his head on purpose, a few times. Those bumps to the wooden floor were just freakish.

Azteca's flying was incredibly fast and a lot different than most other stuff I've seen from this time period. Very impressive. Naturally, having Fuerza as a base don't hurt.

And every time I kept seeing Texano, all I could think of was how much he looked like Bestia Salvaje. Might be a stupid question, but are those two related?

But hey, I loved this. Couldn't care less who won or lost, but the match could've been 2 hours long and it would've still been a blast.

Eric

• 2 years later...

I dug this a ton! They seemed to be hitting on all cylinders before Pierroth's freak accident, and the other five didn't let that stop them from putting on a quality match. The only thing that I didn't quite get was the end of the first fall. Did the tecnicos win by count out or was it stopped when Pierroth got hurt? I thought the ending was also a bit odd. I understood that Texano got his team dq'd for giving Estrada the Martinette, but why did the refs bother counting the pin?