Pro Wrestling Only

That wacky Lawler

sek69

From WO.com:

Jerry Lawler has been charged with assault stemming from an incident where he allegedly legitimately punched manager Sal Corrente twice at a show on Friday night at Sam's Town in Tunica, MS. Lawler is scheduled for an 8/1 court date but only if papers are served in Mississippi. Lawler is currently scheduled to wrestle on 7/20 at Sam's Town in Tunica, MS, and he's expected to be served it he appears. (thanks to Brian Tramel)

Corrente has a rep as being an idiotic money mark who buys his way into "working" on shows. So I hope this gets thrown out, cuz every untrained working mark should be beaten thoroughly and regularly, in my opinion.

Also... it's someone getting punched twice... and nothing else... at a SOUTHERN wrestling show. I've seen shit way worse than that happen on many occasions, and nobody ever got sued or convicted over it (and any one of the boys who calls the cops because of a backstage dispute instantly gets regarded as a total pussy by the rest of the locker room).

• 1 month later...
Guest wheatbox

I've heard stories of Lawler being 'bullet-proof' and the 'teflon king' but can anyone go into detail about why this is. Does he just have some awesome lawyers or is it deeper than that?

Any elaboration would be much appreciated.

I think it's more that Lawler has 30 years' experience working as a babyface and knows the emotional buttons to push when on trial to make himself look sympathetic. The USWA trials with Mark Selkar took place in Cleveland, well out of the Memphis territory's range, and he was still able to come out on top in that trial while his partner went to jail. Dude just knows how to perform and what buttons to push.

Despite doing it as basically a publicity stunt, and doing literally no campaigning. He didn't raise funds, he didn't advertise, he did jack shit besides keep going to his day job. And still got 12%. I'd say that's pretty impressive for a civilian with absolutely no official political experience.

I wonder if Ric Flair will finally run for governor of North Carolina after he retires.

Too many skeletons in his closet.

This should lead to some sort of "what's worse than being alleged to have sodomized preteens" joke but I'm not sure exactly what it should be.

• 4 months later...

I don't know, the worst thing I know about Flair is made a stewartess touch his wang. Schwarzenegger Heiled Hitler as a youth has had group sex, and groped numerous women. And nobody seems to mind much. There could be worse things about Flair that could come out I guess.

Ric Flair also allegedly physically attacked his ex-wife, and was once arrested when caught in a car with an underage girl who was driving drunk. He claimed he had no idea she was underage and was just asking for a ride because he was too drunk to drive. Less than most wrestlers, but there are still things there.

Didn't Flair blade himself for sympathy when the cops came to bust up a domestic disturbance at his house?

Now I can't stop imagine Mrs. Flair yelling at Ric and then the Nature Boy drops to his knees and begs off. "No no no no!"