Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Jacques Rougeau Sr

SirEdger

The patriarch of the Rougeau family, Jacques Sr, father to Jacques, Raymond, Armand and sister Joanne (who was the WWF promoter in Montreal in the 90s) passed away on Monday at age 89. Most definitely lived in the shadow of his illustrious brother Jean/Johnny but he was quite a formidable tag team wrestler in his heyday.

I'm a little surprised he was still alive, to be honest. I think a lot of fans aren't aware there was even a senior. There's not much footage of him, and what there is comes from a time when he is well into his 40s. But he's well regarded, probably a bigger deal regionally than the sons were.

Raymond said recently that Jacques Sr pretty much was the backbone of the family, when it came to wrestling. He started wrestling in 1955 but he pretty much took a 10-year hiatus because the money wasn't so good around that time and returned to wrestling in 1965. He was part of the 2nd biggest show in Quebec wrestling history in 1972 when the 3 main events of the show featured a Rougeau (Johnny vs Abdullah the Butcher, Jacques Sr vs The Sheik and Raymond vs Don Serrano). He wrestled his last match in 1984 but he actually provided French commentary for the 1997 Royal Rumble if my memory serves me well along with his son Raymond.

His most known angle though is the infamous St-Jean-Baptiste Massacre at the Montreal Forum in 1985 when the Garvins were scheduled to wrestle the Rougeaus for the first time. Legendary to this day up here.

3 hours ago, SPS said:

I remember getting that match during the secret Santo and loving it. 

RIP

That was probably me who  gave it to you. IIRC, I gave you the 2nd match of the trilogy in July 1985 and I'm pretty sure you can find the blowoff match of the feud somewhere on YouTube (August 1985 I believe).