Pro Wrestling Only

Chris, Nancy, & Daniel Benoit found dead

Bix

Posters at TSM are still trying to defend Benoit.

I really don't know what to say.

You think it's bad there? Go visit some of the less smarky li'l outlaw boards. There are literally people out there who are trying to take the "OJ didn't do it, it was Some Puerto Rican guy!" route instead.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Benoit being on suicide watch was a strong possibility.

However, and maybe I'm judging him wrong, but I think knowing Wade Keller and the way he tends to cover things, he probably would have indicated this already on his website.

Maybe not, but that's my first instinct.

From F4W:

- Alvarez stated he met Chris Benoit in the mid-90s and spoke to him occasionally, but that after Eddy Guerrero died, they spoke all the time

- Said he kept a journal where he wrote to Eddy every day

- Contacted Alvarez recently for recommendations on a good place to make replica championship belts. He wanted to present a gift to Booker T, who he thought was an amazing person

- Confirmed that on the text message reports, "C" is Chavo and "S" is Regal

- When Benoit had neck surgery in 2002, he refused to come off of steroids for fear of shrinking

- Benoit and Nancy had fought about steroids many times in the past

- The WWE apologizing for airing the tribute show was at the insistence of the USA network

- Noted that as a F4W subscriber, Benoit provided a totally different address than is being indicated in text messages

Direct quotes:

On Tuesday I was misquoted in an article. A reporter asked me if anyone knew what had happened. This was around 4:45 PM. I said no. I don't know if we were talking about marital issues earlier, but he ended up quoting me as saying that nobody really knew anything about any marital issues. Someone in WWE quickly contacted me through a third party outraged that I could have started any rumors of that nature. This person said he knew Chris very well dating back to his WCW debut and that the couple was very happy and not having any issues.

The Wellness Policy still exists, believe it or not. The rules have just changed. No longer are guys taken off TV or house shows. They're merely fined or docked pay and they continue to work so that nobody has to know who failed. When you think about it, if your body is worth a $1 million per year contract, and nobody is ever going to know whether you pass or fail a test, it may be a situation where guys are willing to lose a month's pay or whatever because they may feel that in the end, eleven months of main event pay is better than twelve months of mid-card or lower pay. There is also the loophole that you are OK if the steroids are prescribed for legitimate medical reasons (though many guys seem to be on things that doctors are not legally allowed to prescribe for any reason), and that testosterone to epitestosterone levels can be as high as 10:1 before a person automatically fails. A normal human is at 1:1, and an Olympic failure is 6:1. Basically, as is the case in all sports today, drug tests are basically IQ tests. If you have a brain, you can find a way around the system, especially if it's a system set up to curb "abuse", but hopefully allow guys to not completely shrink down to the point where they look like someone in the crowd.

I would say that things like forcing Muhammad Hassan to do 1000 hindu squats for making an off-handed comment toward Shawn Michaels, or throwing Matt Striker out of the locker room are things that in hindsight can be looked at as warning signs. Wrestling has its own rules which are conveniently altered all the time, so there's nothing about either of those incidents within WWE that would seem alarming.

My point isn't at all that WWE should have known at that point that the guy could be a murderer. However, that type of behavior is commended and encouraged in WWE locker rooms, and would be scoffed at in almost any other environment. I also acknowledge that there is some degree of hazing and paying dues for new athletes in any locker room in just about any sport.

If WWE adds routine psychiatric exams to their wellness program in the future, which I suspect they will, that could prove interesting. Suddenly, JBL is forced to attend anger management classes and is diagnosed with having antisocial personality disorder while being put on meds. HHH has issues with body image and is forced to attend a self esteem workshop.

This is all commentary on how I suspect WWE will handle the situation. While I don't see myself at any point totally absolving them of any blame, I also suspect that Benoit had characteristics of a psychopath from a very young age.

I am also willing to admit that I could be completely wrong.

From DVDVR, seems reasonable:

My wife is a therapist who deals with autistic kids and has been following the story with even a more keen interest since Daniel's Fragile X has come out and she did share that the HGH shouldn't be realted, but parents everywhere become really frustrated with the diagnosis for autism, fragile-x, williams syndrome, asperger's syndrome and many parents find strange theories on the internet, or wealthy people are often preyed on by scam artists.

She thinks this is the relationship to Daniel and the HGH. She also shared that while females are often the carriers for Fragile X, drug cocktails in the male's sperm can also severly alter the child's DNA.

Not really relevant, but thought I'd share.

"I could go into horror stories about wrestlers whose wives have had birth defective children; a wrestler who really didn't want to use steroids while his wife was pregnant because during fits of roid rage he had punched her, but at the times there were pressures from the top because he was getting too small; a wrestler who had a family history of heart problems, and who's doctor told him never to touch them, but without them was making 1/3 of what he was making while on them today." -- Dave Meltzer

This was in an issue of the WON around Spring of 1990, but I don't know the date.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13567642/detail.html

Empty Wine Bottle Found Next To Wrestler's Body

POSTED: 7:00 pm EDT June 25, 2007

UPDATED: 12:13 pm EDT June 27, 2007

FAYETTE COUNTY, Ga. -- 12:05 UPDATE: WSB-TV Channel 2's Tom Jones reports an empty bottle of wine was found at the feet of Chris Benoit

Also, Alex Marvez said in the Washington post that there's no confirmation of the Fragile X yet.

The media has a goldmine, which means this story isn't going anywhere.

-Two major media entities report to PWTorch.com that senior editors are continuing to direct resources to the Benoit story because website tracking tools have allowed them notice the magnitude of interest in this story. Two major mainstream media outlets internally tell PWTorch that half of their entire website's hits are coming from the Benoit stories.

With regards to Booker's interview, how should WWE handle Chris Benoit's funeral? Will the McMahon family attend? Should they? Will they even try to stop their wrestlers from attending? Just throwing these questions out there, as how WWE handles it could be crucial to their public relations coming out of this tragedy.

Guest teke184

MSNBC reported minutes ago that the AP interviewed Chris Benoit's doctor, who said he saw Benoit on Friday and he didn't seem distressed. He said in the past he had subscribed testosterone at low levels perhaps due to his use of anabolic steroids in the past

I think the death of Chris's old friend and tag-partner Beef Wellington, discovered that same day, may have officially helped impair Chris's mental state over the weekend then.

If he was generally seen as fine going into the weekend, that likely means a trigger happened sometime between the end of his doctor's appointment and sometime on Saturday, when it's believed he killed Nancy.

Strummer, did the article mention what time the doctor's appointment was?

I didn't see a time mentioned.

More from Keller:

"He was in my office on Friday to stop by just to see my staff," said Dr. Phil Astin of metro Atlanta. "He certainly didn't show any signs of any distress or rage or anything."

Astin, who said he was Benoit's longtime friend and physician, said he had prescribed testosterone to Benoit because he suffered from low amounts of the hormone. He said the condition likely originated from previous steroid use. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed the day of the meeting. "I'm still very surprised and shocked, especially with his child Daniel involved," said Astin. "He worshipped his child."

Guest teke184

Jerry McDevitt has confirmed to the AP that Daniel Benoit had Fragile X Syndrome.

Considering what was said at DVDVR about Fragile X Syndrome's causes, that potentially opens a whole new can of worms.

When news agencies tire of running down the "OMG! ROID RAGE!" meme, they'll start looking into birth defects within the families of pro wrestlers.

Which reminds me of something... what exactly did Tajiri's infant son die of a few years back? SIDS?

Guest teke184

I believe Tajiri's son was stillborn, not sure what the cause was.

Ah.

I'd thought the kid was born sick and died after a few weeks or months, not stillborn.