Pro Wrestling Only

24 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So looking at Liger's history and how he has won titles in New Japan, WCW, and CMLL...I was trying to think of anyone else who's won titles in three different countries (in major promotions) and the only other one who comes to mind is Vader. 

Maybe Kensuke? IWGP, Triple Crown, and GHC Champion (among others), Stampede Wrestling International Tag Team champ with Sumo Hara, WCW US Heavyweight Champion, WWC Caribbean Tag Team Champion with Mr. Pogo. That's 4 countries. Although, he did win the WCW strap in Japan as part of an inter-promotional show.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got back in to NJPW World, stream's kind of framey but it reminds me of watching bootleg Japanese streams on Realplayer back in the 90s so I can manage.

Missed the Jr. tag match but at least I get to see part of ZSJ/Sanada.

People bag on Juice's new look, but Sanada's out here with that hair making him look like a Japanese Moondog Spot.

I was digging the ZSJ/Sanada match until they went into the constant indie spot pinfall attempt shit. I like Sabre a lot but I've cooled on Sanada. For a long time, I thought he had a lot of untapped potential but, I think he just might be a coaster. I've never seen him even attempt to hit the next gear, so I don't know. Strikes me as if he's just happy to get the check.

25 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Oh man, Mox vs Suzuki. Yes please.

I said yesterday that I thought Hiromu vs Ospreay set a new standard for Jr Hwt wrestling for the 2020s. I sincerely believe that MiSu vs Mox has the potential to set a new standard for asskicking.

6 hours ago, gordi said:

:lol: 

That being said, I understand that both of these things can be true at the same time. You'd love to see it, but you realize it really isn't likely so you don't get your hopes up. Or, maybe you'd love to see it some day but weren't particularly hoping for it yesterday. 

The latter. And again, that was in response to a specific thing Makai said.

I'm really happy they finally got the 40k paid for Night 1. 30k paid for Night 2 ( @MoS ) is really good but you gotta wonder if the biggest draw for the weekend was Ibushi challenging for the title instead of the double champion gimmick. The G-1 is different - and has way less tickets to sell - but when they book the big triple headers for the final 3 nights, the final one doesn't suffer in attendance even if night 2 has a bigger main event.

Anyways, saw the final two matches.

Jericho vs Tana showed how charisma can carry a match for long stretches. It was really fun watching these two play off each other. After the Red Shoes bump it got into a little lull but they picked it up for the ending. Good match.

I could be forgetting one, but I thought Okada vs Naito was the best match they've had against each other since their 2012 Korakuen classic. Naito finally won the big one!

I was really hoping for a Tanahashi win to set up more NJPW vs AEW down the line. I guess we've got MiSu vs Mox to look forward to, at least. 

It's satisfying that they finally pulled the trigger on Naito. Not as satisfying as it would have been two years ago, but still satisfying. 

I had to go pick my daughters up from ballet, so I missed the last half of night 2. I wasn't patient enough to avoid spoilers, but I am looking forward to watching those matches when I get the chance.

I'm hoping we get to see Naito defend one of the belts against Okada or Ibushi at Dominion (at least partly because I live near Osaka and I would very much like to have the chance to see that live).

Did the very end of the show come across as poorly-thought-out watching live as it does reading about it? Kenta is not the worst first opponent for Naito, but I think it would have been preferable to give Naito his moment in the sun rather than rushing to set that up. 

10 minutes ago, gordi said:

Did the very end of the show come across as poorly-thought-out watching live as it does reading about it? Kenta is not the worst first opponent for Naito, but I think it would have been preferable to give Naito his moment in the sun rather than rushing to set that up. 

The crowd was booing like crazy but that was the point, I can never figure out when a japanese crowd is just going along with a heat segment or is legit pissed off though.

As someone who has been calling for Naito to win the main belt, I didn't see it as a big deal though it did feel like a western type angle and they could've save it for tomorrow's show. But again, I didn't mind it.

Thanks. With that many people it's probably a little from column A, a little from column B. I did feel like the Osaka crowd was legit angry at the end of Dominion '19. Hopefully I'll get to form my own take on it tomorrow or the day after.

32 minutes ago, gordi said:

I would have liked him to just get the traditional close out but I didn't mind it. What was kinda dumb was that LIJ weren't all running out for the save. Just BUSHI sauntering in casually after KENTA had already beat the shit out of Naito and teabagged him. Unless there's an angle explanation for that tomorrow, I thought that was kinda silly.

29 minutes ago, FMKK said:

I would have liked him to just get the traditional close out but I didn't mind it. What was kinda dumb was that LIJ weren't all running out for the save. Just BUSHI sauntering in casually after KENTA had already beat the shit out of Naito and teabagged him. Unless there's an angle explanation for that tomorrow, I thought that was kinda silly.

Yeah, that really did come across as silly reading about it. Like, out of all the bad-ass dudes in Naito's stable, only one of them could be arsed to run out to have his back. 

Still, though... the match itself sounds really good and I'm looking forward to seeing it. 

The angle wouldn't have had nearly as much impact if they had done it at New Year Dash. And I think Gedo has more than earned the benefit of the doubt at this point. He doesn't book heat for the sake of heat like WWE, so we can be sure this is building to something. Then again, I have no real emotional investment in Naito, so seeing his big moment ruined doesn't upset me. Also, I've really enjoyed KENTA in New Japan, so I'm happy to see him in the main title picture. I'd probably feel differently if, say, Bad Luck Fale had been the one to lay Naito out.

Did Eddie ever win anything in Japan?

I'm intrigued for New Year's Dash tomorrow because this weekend seemed like the payoff for a lot of long term stories so you'd think there could be quite a few angles to set up new directions. Seems clear that Naito will be feuding with Bullet Club for the next while but I really have no idea what Okada does next.