Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - May 27 2020

MoS

Not a fan of this segment. Seems like a cheap ripoff of an iconic wrestling moment, completely inorganic and lazy. And they could have given Tyson a t-shirt he could have torn off, that was embarrassing. 

FTR coming in brings yet another dimension to a tag division that should be set for the next 18 months easily, it’s a crazily stacked division.

Lee Johnson should have a job for as long as he wants it; he bumps like a machine and made Cage look like a monster. What a great squash to establish him.

Britt is one of the best personalities on the roster, maybe the best. The wheelchair is a great heel touch and it’s so disappointing that there isn’t a crowd to respond to it. 

The battle royal was fun but if he didn’t before, he feels like even more of a wasted spot now that the roster has filled out nicely. The one thing I do love about AEWs battle royales is that almost every elimination follows a story or builds to something. It’s so simple but it’s another example of them giving a damn. Giving Jungle Boy the shot next week is a nice way to build on his match at DON.

I popped for just about everything in the Pep Rally. For five guys that felt thrown together, they’ve really grown into an amazing stable. Ortiz is incredible: eating a wrap with ear protectors on is a hilarious image. Mike Tyson vs Chris Jericho is the summer program I didn’t know I wanted and the pull apart was really good. Fuck it, add Belforte and Cejudo to the tag division and have them put Havoc and Sabian out of my misery

Also, if Vickie is there regularly, they need to put her with a heel. Even if it's just to be their personal ring annouincer.

Highlight to me was the opener (although Private Party absolutely aren't ready on the big stage at this point, Isaac in particular as a tendency to do some real sloppy stuff) and Cody's promo. Shida's competitive squash against That Brazilian Girl was pretty fun too.

Wasn't crazy about Britt's segment this week, really lacked the dynamic of her and Tony, who was out there to do nothing. Wasn't crazy about the Tyson angle either. I see what they try to do, but it kinda get a feel of WCW-Hoganesque stuff where they refer a WWF angle of the past (actually, two of them, one of which I don't even know about). Jericho has made everything work thus far, so maybe it'll catch on, but tonight it didn't feel like anything interesting to me.

The Battle Royal on the other hand had plenty good little things, like Cutler & Avalon eliminating themselves, their feud has to peak with a match ending in a double-KO or something. That's pretty fun. I'm all for a Wardlow face turn, as really I have no interest in this guy as he is now. Like, zero interest. They already have too many big monsters (think about that, they had none when Wardlow was signed) on the heel side anyway.

Cody vs Jungle Boy should be terrific. Omega & Hangman working their magic with Havoc & Sabian (fun team, but that match today wasn't that great, I feel like SCU is at the end of the road and they should try and push Scorpio Sky as a single) should be really good too. Jericho vs Orange should be gold.

Interesting stuff with Allie (who was referred as such on Dark, as opposed to The Bunny)  getting all the attention from QT and Cabana getting a Dark Order flyer.

Of course, FTR showing up would have been much more awesome in front of the crowd. So many big debuts for AEW during the worst time possible. So much for them working The North and those NJ teams, but oh well, they will rule against the Bucks and it was all expected anyway.