Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 07/06 - 07/12 I'm not a citizen. I'm a civil engineer. A graduated one. Better than you.

KawadaSmile

When was the last time WWE did a world title match on free TV? 

It's weird - a lot of the most memorable moments of the Attitude Era were world title matches done on TV. Not even just the title switches, but it was a well they went to frequently to get a hot main event. And while they may have hotshot too much in those days, they seem to do the exact opposite now, despite saving those matches for PPV meaning less than ever. (They also haven't done a single title change of the top four belts since Wrestlemania, other than one based on a vacancy.)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Migs said:

When was the last time WWE did a world title match on free TV? 

It's weird - a lot of the most memorable moments of the Attitude Era were world title matches done on TV. Not even just the title switches, but it was a well they went to frequently to get a hot main event. And while they may have hotshot too much in those days, they seem to do the exact opposite now, despite saving those matches for PPV meaning less than ever. (They also haven't done a single title change of the top four belts since Wrestlemania, other than one based on a vacancy.)

According to cagematch, McIntyre has defended twice on TV once Vs Big show and once in a tag in June with r truth Vs lashley and MVP. Neither of which were the main event.

For the other belt Rollins defended against rusev in September in a no contest.

Not exactly the memorable matches you were after.

Last big one would be Lesnar Vs Kofi maybe? But that wasn't exactly much of a match.

8 minutes ago, Richeyedwards said:

According to cagematch, McIntyre has defended twice on TV once Vs Big show and once in a tag in June with r truth Vs lashley and MVP. Neither of which were the main event.

For the other belt Rollins defended against rusev in September in a no contest.

Not exactly the memorable matches you were after.

Last big one would be Lesnar Vs Kofi maybe? But that wasn't exactly much of a match.

Yeah, Lesnar vs. Kofi is at least memorable, if not for great reasons.

I was thinking about 2000 - I just can't imagine them doing something as interesting as the episode where Jericho beats HHH and they do the overturn in the same night, for example. Not every match is going to be that memorable, but it's like they're not even trying.