Pro Wrestling Only

[2020-10-29-WWE-NXT UK] WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov

KawadaSmile

This shit rocks, bubbas.

Not only those two have unreal chemistry, stemming from a natural size difference and different styles, they beat the absolute shit out of each other.

Dragunov is an absolutely INSANE mad lad and is willing to eat whatever WALTER throws at him. Nasty stomps to the neck, clubbing blows, ridiculous suplexes, those damn chops. This is absolutely brutal, and Ilja is naturally likeable with his fiery body language and facial expressions.

However, he is willing to dish out just as he is willing to take it. His comebacks are so good and WALTER is so great at selling his offense that you even wonder if the outcome is going to be different.

Absolute destruction.

I am in pain just watching this. WALTER is at his best when he's completely unrelenting, and the way he mauls Ilja, with a laser focus on the chest and neck, is just incredible. Few in wrestling today can fire back as Ilja can, and he gives almost as good as he gets, with some brutal offence of his own, all while selling the damage wonderfully. About my only major complaint is that WALTER gets suplexed too early, and a bit too many times.

My instant reaction is that this is my 3rd favourite match this year behind the WK main events and a top 10 match in WWE history.

This is one of those matches that obviously was great. It's one of those matches that obviously was great, but for whatever reason(s) that I can't even name, I just didn't enjoy it on a level that I enjoy matches that I would call certified great ones. It feels super weird & stupid to type that out, but that's how I felt when this match was going & once it was over. Maybe it's because I've seen them do this match quite a few times already, and I feel like WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov hit their peak at wXw Superstars of Wrestling 2018 when it comes to my enjoyment of the pairing, but yeah. It was great, but it really was "just" very good to me. That is not a complaint at all, because I am still rating this pretty high, but I also recognize that it definitely was better than what my personal rating suggests. A true war in the style of Ilja & WALTER, a match that should be watched. ***3/4

This was my first time seeing Ilja Dragunov. Wow. I absolutely loved his selling. At one point they are in a scramble to their feet and Walter just punches Dragunov in the neck with a loud smack sound. Dragunov subltely and realistically sells that punch for the rest of the match which i had never seen before outside of maybe the most high level shoot workers. The brutality was off the charts and I think not having a crowd benefited them as you could hear every smack, stop, strike and kick echo in the empty building.  Easily match of the year so far for me, granted I haven't seen most of the G1.  

My main issues with this was the length and just how long the finishing stretch went. It felt like they were about to start going home during the middle of the match, only for them to go on for another ten minutes. Despite my gripes, this was thrilling, physical war. Dragunov takes a beating and Walter looks completely legitimate in everything he does. Walter's strikes had me wincing and Dragunov's loud, shouty selling made me an instant fan. 90's AJPW levels of physicality here. Probably one of the best things WWE will put out all year. Screw that awful, loud and obnoxious commentary though. 

★★★★¼

• GSR changed the title to [2020-10-29-WWE-NXT UK] WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov