Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Fight Forever (and other AEW video games)

C.S.

17 hours ago, C.S. said:

I'm arguing with an idiot on another message board who claims WWE 2K20 (a broken, buggy, indefensible, irredeemable disaster of a game) is better than AEW Fight Forever. If someone wants to say they prefer 2K22 or 23, that's at least a reasonable take, but 2K20 was a catastrophe. His big response: the eyeroll emoji. :rolleyes: 

Exchanges like this make me glad that PWO exists.

Things can get heated here, but it's respectful and intelligent for the most part.

It's actually come full circle for me. When I first got online, back at the end of 1998 (after Kevin Nash ended the Goldberg streak coincidentally) I was searching out wrestling video game information. Stumbled upon WrestlingGames.com which started my pro wrestling message forum participation. I've been posting on forums about wrestling for like 20-25 years now... and Sek has been there for a lot of it. 

Sadly, my biggest "claim to fame" (if you can even call it that) was being the guy that defended Val Venis & thinking he deserved more of a push. Now seeing that he turned out into a burnout conspiracy theory nut, it's a good thing that didn't happen. :lol:

Back then, we were all playing those THQ/AKI N64 wrestling games in real, modern time. Now all these years later, we're still talking about wanting a game that plays like No Mercy. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my AEW Fight Forever review is finally out there - it's a month after I filed it for embargo (and after the CMS apparently decided to scramble my byline), but it is live:

https://gamecritics.com/stevegillham2gc/aew-fight-forever-review/

There won’t be any revelations or hot takes here; it’s a very tight word count for a more general audience. It’s not even especially well-written…but I’m just happy that it’s published.

Very nice and fair review, @The Man in Blak

I was wondering why it took so long to publish. If you wrote it a month ago and the site held onto it all this time, that's...odd. (BTW, is the byline still scrambled, or are you Steve Gillham?)

Anyway, the only thing I would've added is a paragraph on how limited the CAW mode is. 

You mentioned some things I didn't even know about - like being able to trigger chain wrestling. I just wish we knew how.

I think you liked the minigames more than me. I love the idea of them, but the execution is lacking IMO. (The baseball one is genuinely fun though.)

Once again, I love the transparency (how long you played, which system, how you acquired it, etc.) and accessibility information.

Yeah, I submitted it on deadline for the embargo, but...things happen. Some of it was CMS troubles, some of it is working with a volunteer site where people are working outside of their regular jobs on editing and publishing. That byline is me, though - we just had to re-associate every piece I wrote for the site (including this one) under a new user to fix everything. @_@

The CAW breakdown was a word count casualty - I was limited to a thousand words - but I would agree that the lack of appearance customization (in particular) was a little disappointing, especially compared to some other wrestling games out there.

I had to make a similar compromise on describing the mini-games -- they weren't particularly great mini-games, but I thought they worked well enough as a change of pace for the Road to Elite. And yeah, the baseball one is silly in the best way; of all the ones they did, that's the one that seemed close to being on par with a Mario Party level of minigame quality.

And I still don't know how to trigger chain wrestling. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, The Man in Blak said:

I was limited to a thousand words

Any reason why? That seems really odd for a volunteer website. Actually, for a website in general. Such a policy makes sense for print media, obviously, but online?

I realize 99% of the internet has no concept of brevity and just vomits out an overabundance of words, but it still seems like a strange restriction to me. 

If it were me, I would've written 1050 words - I highly doubt anyone would check - but I'm a bit of a rebel that way. :P 

I’ve never been given a reason for GC specifically but I find that, even online, most word counts are meant to triangulate a happy medium between SEO optimization (which generally favors longer pieces), editorial bandwidth (not much at a volunteer site) and content throughput (also limited with volunteer writers).

In a world increasingly populated by nine hour Youtube critique videos where written reviews arguably have the least amount of mindshare they’ve ever had with gaming as a whole, I don’t mind aiming to be concise, even if it introduces some interesting challenges with structuring a piece like this. :)

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/aew-announces-stadium-stampede-mode-will-be-playable-aew-fight-forever-82423

Fight Forever getting a Stadium Stampede mode later today, gonna be a battle royale (as in Fortnite not a rasslin battle royale) completed with a full stadium map. Looks like it's going to be fun an at the very least it shows their promise to keep adding to the game wasn't just marketing BS. 

• 4 weeks later...