Pro Wrestling Only

NXT TakeOver: WarGames - Two Matches Beyond

C.S.

JbD7TW0.jpg 

WarGames Match: The Undisputed Era (Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Kyle O'Reilly, and Roderick Strong) vs. Team McAfee (Pat McAfee, Pete Dunne, Danny Burch, and Oney Lorcan)

WarGames Match: Team Shotzi (Shotzi Blackheart, Ember Moon, Rhea Ripley, and Io Shirai) vs. Team Candice (Candice LeRae, Dakota Kai, Raquel González, and Toni Storm)

NXT North American Championship:  Leon Ruff (c) vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Damian Priest

Strap Match: Dexter Lumis vs. Cameron Grimes  

"Battle of the Tough Guys": Timothy Thatcher vs. Tommaso Ciampa

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought it was odd that Shotzi was the team captain instead of Rhea Ripley or literally anyone else on her team, but then I realized, none of them need it. They're all already big stars in NXT (and WWE in some cases). Shotzi is not (yet) in comparison.

I'm not feeling this match. The fact that a heel has to wrap a chain around the cage door just to "lock" it tells me that everyone in this company has completely lost sight of what a cage match - and WarGames - is supposed to be.

Edit: And why does there need to be a ladder and other plunder? The stipulation is strong enough to stand on its own. But that's modern WWE for you, I guess.

Just now, sek69 said:

It's probably because the men's match is based on a hot feud between two stables and the women's one has been based on .....*checks notes*..... Candace destroying Shotzi's tank.

Yeah, I can't even keep the teams straight and do not care about anything that's happening or anyone it's happening to.

WarGames really works best when at least one of the sides is the hot heel stable of the day. 

I guess when War Games can't be a bloody, feud ending brawl between people who hate one another, you have to make it a plunder filled spot fest.

That being said, if anyone came out of that making me want to see more of them, it was Dakota Kai. Girl took a fucking beating, and kept coming back. Her bodyguard may have gotten the pin, but I would much rather see Kai get the belt from Io and have a nice chicken shit run with Gonzalez helping her keep the belt at every turn.

Thatcher is a very limited worker. Yes, I said it. He's a colossal bore in any match that doesn't cater to his very specific style.

Why hire this guy? He barely has star power in NXT, and definitely isn't someone who can be built into anything on the main roster. (But even if he could, good luck getting Vince and Bruce to try.)

If he ever gets out of NXT, I see 205 Live as his future. 

I am excited for this show, think it could be really good, doing a live blog:

https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2020/12/nxt-takeover-wargames-2020-live-blog.html

Also, this women's WarGames is backwards in the most baffling way. Dakota Kai is clearly positioned as the top babyface for much of it and Shotzi - the person who is getting revenge, the person who is leading this team - is the biggest afterthought in the whole match. I don't get it!

Just now, C.S. said:

Now there's blood in a match that doesn't call for it. Hard way? I hope so, because this having blood and the first (and presumably second) WarGames not having it is pretty fuckin' ludicrous. 

Yeah it was definitely hard way, I would say he got some boot scrape on his ear. 

Was looking forward to the women's WarGames match as I dug their match last year, but this one did nothing for me. Way too many awkward moments and way too many weapon focused contrived spots that they were barely able to put together. That double stomp with the trash can and the Eclipse through the chair were pretty neat.

Ciampa/Thatcher was good, not great. Dug the gritty exchanges and intensity these folks brought. Thought the hardway blood from the ear added to this. Thatcher's selling of that ending DDT was great. Seems like this feud is far from over and they've left plenty on the table to continue this rivalry. I wouldn't mind them extending this feud and it ending with them ending up as partner like the Bar.