Pro Wrestling Only

[2021-04-10-WWE-WrestleMania 37] Sasha Banks vs Bianca Belair

Edwin

This was the big main event and it had the big match feel to it. Heel Sasha is much better than face Sasha and we get instances of heel Sasha here with her constantly going after Bianca's braid to use it against her, including her going after Bianca's braid and using it to keep her close so she can punt her constantly with one of those punts landing on the mouth. We get a big Sasha dive early on which Bianca catches and roles through and we get one of the most impressive press slams ever with Bianca carrying Sasha up the stairs and tossing her inside the ring from the ring apron. Sasha is also someone who can get wild on offense like Manami Toyota and she will just throw herself recklessly as she did here when she just absolutely launched herself knee first into the guardrail in a Meteora attempt. Belair's athleticism is always a sight to behold as she will just casually pull out a running shooting star press and a big 450 splash that gets countered by Sasha's knees. The Bank Statement with Sasha using Belair's braid was a great spot and the nearfall false finish from the second 450 splash was great. It really gave the impression Sasha was going to retain at that point. The hair whip is one of the coolest and most brutal moves in wrestling as Sasha had a brutal welt on her ribs from it (hope they continue to save this for her big matches). The finish had people crying and jumping out of their seats. This was a homerun. One of the best women's matches in North American wrestling history.

When you lay it out, this was an excellent way to put over Bianca Belair, as the storytelling of the bout was on point. They put over Bianca's strength & athleticism over wonderfully; she really dominated a lot of the match with Sasha getting a big crafty counter here n' there, but it was always Bianca who got them bigger grooves going. It was one of those "you can't deny this title change" type deals. Sadly I didn't like the match much at all. I thought that Bianca's work was extremely uninteresting & the best bits were Sasha's big moments, but even most of those were just "there", and not anything REALLY-really compelling or interesting. Bianca's sell of the 450 kickout was also like the worst of Shawn Michaels' cheesy reactions, but even worse lol. The whole dancing routine finishing sequence also wasn't for me, but I did like the actual finish w/ Bianca's KOD putting a blunt end to things. Not a bad match, as while I didn't find it compelling, I can appreciate the strong storytelling, even if the actual action didn't hook me in at any point. *3/4

This was a really good main event. I still think that this should've been swapped with the opening bout because that felt hot and this didn't. Nevertheless, this was a solid match with some rather unique work using the hair. Sasha Banks used it for more leverage on her submissions, she used it as a defensive tactic and Bianca Belair used it to whip Sasha which was pretty insane. Bianca Belair was way over the top emotionally. This is a big moment for her and she didn't hide it one bit. Some toning down when it came to her reactions, especially when it came to the nearfall, was desperately needed. ***

I thought this was great and it was my favourite match from either night. Probably my second favourite when you take into account the Takeovers as well. Sasha was great as usual and put Bianca over huge. There were a number of creative, memorable spots which showcased Belair's strength and athletic ability. The gorilla press slam walk, the standing SSP, the 450 attempts and the delayed vertical suplex spot. Then of course you had the great work around Belair's hair and the fantastic pay off with the whip in what has to be one of the spots of the year. For me this delivered in spades when expectations were high and it was a genuinely satisfying Wrestlemania main event - something which has become increasingly rare in recent years. Unfortunately the first women's main event, the triple threat at 35, isn't particularly well remembered for a number of reasons. This one was everything that should've been. Great match that ticked all the boxes.

When the elements come together it's a beautiful sight to witness the magic of pro wrestling and this was a prime example with these performers. A simple story of Sasha doing her most damnedest to combat the raw strength and athleticism of Belair mainly by using Bianca's hair. There were some sloppy parts here but Bianca shined so well executing her big spots perfectly mainly the body press while walking Sasha to the ring. The payoff with the hair whip and Bianca getting the clean win was a thing of beauty. From this and Rosa/Baker two of the best matches in North America, this year came from women, progress everyone. 

• 9 months later...

This is a Flair-Sting match worked better than any Flair-Sting match I've ever seen. Bianca gets a ton of shine to impress through her feats of strength and athleticism. Meanwhile Sasha sticks to her role as the heel, gradually showing more aggression and desperation to keep the challenger grounded. She even resorts to using Bianca's own hair against her numerous times and it leads to a wonderful payoff that everyone in the crowd would've heard. One of the brightest moments of WWE programming all year.