Pro Wrestling Only

Takuya Nomura

Grimmas

Jmare007 said:

"Talk about a guy that "got it" as soon as he debuted, four months after his debut he's having fun matches in Big Japan and All Japan. Nomura is as close to a prodigy as you can get. The guy knows how to sell, show fire, strike and make a match more interesting with his work. Sure, he has the "advantage" of being a disrespectful punk, so him showing up against bigger and more established opponents was a novelty he had from the get go. But not everyone can pull that off as well as he does it. We are five years into his career and he has MOTYCs in singles and tags in at least 3 of them, and whole bunch of fun multi man tags, tag team and singles performances. His team with Fuminori Abe (Astronauts) is one of the best in the word. By the time we vote, we'll have a decade's worth of work and he'll most likely get a big singles run in one or two promotions so better start getting familiar with him now so we can evaluate him as worthy of making our ballots."

Nomura looks like the most talented guy in all of Japanese wrestling once in a while. Problem is he is stuck in a promotion that does fuck all with him, and usually working those robotic bloatsters which is probably the most boring style of wrestling in all of human history. I recall him being in maybe half a dozen matches worth watching in the past decade, which is laughably little even compared to workers who worked in eras where much less matches were even filmed. It's not his fault, obviously. It this rate I can see him building a listworthy resume in maybe 10 years.

Nomura need to leave Big Japan to have any chance. I don't even see him getting pushed, let alone facing people who can elevate him as a wrestler. There is only so much you can learn facing Strong BJ trainees. Nomura has gotten the best out of Daichi Hashimoto though. So that's something he can hang his head on. 

I'm obviously on the opposite end of someone like Jetlag as I fucking love the Strong Big Japan style and think Nomura is a perfect addition to it. It's very, very hard for me to watch a match he's in and not come out thinking Nomura did as much as possible to make the match better, and when it's a style I already love, then of course a ton of good shit come out of it.

I do agree Big Japan has taken too fucking long in giving him a legit push. But considering how laughably slow BJW booking is, it's clear as day they see Nomura as their future star alongside Aoki. Those two are the only ones getting singles matches against important "outsiders" (in the case of Nomura, you have Dick Togo and Minoru Suzuki, both good matches btw). BUT there's no question he could be doing much bigger things at this point considering his ability and potential.

But anyways, as I said in the nomination post, he's a prodigy and in 5 years he's been able to build a resume that could get really fucking interesting in the next few years. If I had to vote today he would have a legit chance of making my ballot. I truly hope we get so him work more different roles and show what he can do when he doesn't have to be the young, promising kid with a chip on his shoulder.

I love Takuya Nomura. I think he is a top 10 overall talent in Japan today. I think with a significant amount of time or being somewhere other than BJW, he might be able to fully maximize his potential and create a special body of work but that is going to be difficult to do in BJW. I concur with Jetlag in regards to what he's working with. I personally don't enjoy the Strong Division style really much at all. I think it is stale and mostly boring, slow, dumb wrestling. But there are some great talents there are who held back by it with Takuya Nomura chief among them. As much as I enjoy him, I'm not sure that he is ascended enough to transcend the promotion and produce at the level that I know he is capable of. Hopefully he goes somewhere else one day and shows that he is one of the best.

See, that's what I get lost because I not sure what's dumb about Strong Big Japan's style. Slow? sometimes yes, but when they do slow down is because they want to do smart shit like work a hold and make it mean something, or do an exchange that will pay off later.

There's no question that there's a lot of "hosses clash against each other over and over until one can't go anymore" but I find that has fazed out A LOT in the last 6 years. And Nomura has certainly not been a part of much of those.

I guess this is a discussion for another thread though.

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

See, that's what I get lost because I not sure what's dumb about Strong Big Japan's style. Slow? sometimes yes, but when they do slow down is because they want to do smart shit like work a hold and make it mean something, or do an exchange that will pay off later.

There's no question that there's a lot of "hosses clash against each other over and over until one can't go anymore" but I find that has fazed out A LOT in the last 6 years. And Nomura has certainly not been a part of much of those.

I guess this is a discussion for another thread though.

I've watched a lot of Big Japan, watching on a regular basis as recently as 2020. I used to be a big fan but I soured once I really recognized what I felt was lazy repetition in the style. I don't get the sense that the things they do early in matches is particularly meaningful or a harbinger of what's to come. Sekimoto is someone who I think has on many occasions been able to create naturally progressing matches and for that reason, he is one of the guys who I like the best. You say they wrench holds early on which is a fair point but almost all aspects of technical wrestling are totally abandoned in the latter portion of matches. There is a far cry between what Hideki Suzuki was doing as Strong champion compared to what has gone on since. I don't really agree that things have been fazed out, I think they have gotten worse about it. The reliance on "you hit me, I hit you" was so draining that I dropped the promotion in the meantime. Nomura is certainly the least involved in the things I dislike about the style and it is a major part of why he is my favorite BJW wrestler. But too often, he wrestles against guys who are predisposed to those exhausting tendencies and he isn't the kind of guy who will completely shift the match away from that and as a result, he has been a part of some uninspired and poor matches himself.

• 1 year later...