Pro Wrestling Only

KUSHIDA

Grimmas

Ed. said: "I think he has a claim of being the best Junior Heavyweight in Japan of the 2010s.  I don't think anyone of his generation was equally reliable in both the singles and tag divisions as he was in multiple BOSJ and title reigns.  Timesplitters were probably underappreciated at the time because they were often always a first hour act on shows, but I'd take their matches over what the Jr tag division has served up for the past 3-4 years.  I think he has the best Jr title run of anyone in the 2010s in his 2016 reign and he helps establish Will Ospreay and Hiromu Takahashi as new stars of the division with the series of rivalries he had with them.  His final night with New Japan facing Tanahashi in a great match is a glimpse at what could of been if KUSHIDA was able to escape from the confines of being a Junior Heavyweight.  The NXT move hasn't worked out too well for him yet, but now he's Cruiserweight Champion there might be a chance to showcase the best of his abilities." 

Recommended Matches:

Vs HIromu Takahashi (Dominion 2017 11/6/17)

Vs Kyle O'Reilly (BOSJ 2016 21/5/16)

Vs Will Ospreay (Invasion Attack 10/4/16)

• 6 months later...

I think he's worth considering but after my first round of viewing I'd categorize him as a longshot. He's so consistently very good but despite a handful of great matches to his name I'd struggle to call him great. But I will still spend more time exploring his career and am curious to see what comes in the future. I actually have been a fan of most of his NXT work I've seen, the WALTER match, the mini feud with Escobar, even the Gargano match that I had low expectations for. I agree completely that his tag work with Shelley deserves more attention and really helps round out his case. How do people feel about his pre-NJPW work and his early years there? I'm totally ignorant in these areas.

I've seen his stuff in HUSTLE, he's perfectly fine, and he's probably one of the best in-ring guys there during that time, but it's a promotion that had, in its entire run, less than a handful of what I'd call good matches. If you're making a GWE case for Kushida, I don't even think it really warrants mention. 

I don't think he'll be on my list, but Kushida has a really good live presence too. I went to one of those WCPW shows where they brought in a lot of NJPW juniors, just to see Liger live, and Kushida is the only other guy who felt like a big deal. I think there's some good stuff in his NXT run that gets forgotten, that Walter match was great.