Daniel Bryan vs. Terry Funk  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Daniel Bryan vs. Terry Funk

• Daniel Bryan
    • Terry Funk

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reel said:

I voted for Bryan when this first got posted, but if he keeps doing that terrible looking 'Hammer and Anvil" elbow spot he might fall out of my top 1000 wrestlers 

Agreed. He almost sent the Anarchy in the Arena match off the rails for me by doing that terrible bullshit in the middle of a ridiculously chaotic brawl. I dunno about top 1000, but he's not top 100 for me. 

On 4/26/2023 at 11:35 PM, Reel said:

I voted for Bryan when this first got posted, but if he keeps doing that terrible looking 'Hammer and Anvil" elbow spot he might fall out of my top 1000 wrestlers 

He needs to stop doing that as soon as possible.

These two have done literally everything: being babyfaces, being heels, cheating, dominating, selling as underdogs, long matches, short matches, technical stuff, brawls, comedy stuff, gimmick matches, tags, carryjobs, they have worked everywhere and went over, they have longevity, they both cut great promos, they both have tons of charisma, they are very good at blading... You name it, they're good at It. Great, I would say. And more often than not their best matches share a lot of those things, too.

I believe Bryan is better because, except for mastery of overselling and creativity with weapons, I like him more in every category than Terry (earlier I would have said that Funk had better long matches, but then this very year Bryan had the all time classic Ironman with MJF). Maybe Terry's floor is higher and I trust him more for a random match against whoever, but Bryan's ceiling is higher as well and at the end of the day I think his catalogue of great matches and performances might be bigger.

What is Bryan's peak work in tag settings? Excluding the big gimmick matches like Anarchy in the Arena or Cage of Death, I don't know if his best is in the six-mans opposite The Shield or if there's some major tags from the indies I'm forgetting. 

I'd love to see how it compares to someone like Terry, where a lot of their All Japan work is in tags and with him regularly putting on the best performances in those matches.

On 5/1/2023 at 4:57 PM, Tetsujin said:

I believe Bryan is better because, except for mastery of overselling and creativity with weapons, I like him more in every category than Terry (earlier I would have said that Funk had better long matches, but then this very year Bryan had the all time classic Ironman with MJF). Maybe Terry's floor is higher and I trust him more for a random match against whoever, but Bryan's ceiling is higher as well and at the end of the day I think his catalogue of great matches and performances might be bigger.

I agree with this, and considering we don't have Terry's main run as "has to have the best match of the night" run as NWA champ, it's hard to judge him against more modern "big time" wrestlers. But his floor is the most entertaining I've ever seen from a wrestler and his highs are so damn emotional and incredible that it puts him over the top for me. The "catalogue" criteria I've always been very inconsistent when comparing wrestlers. I guess I just like Terry more.

Funk is my n°1 and Danielson has gone up to top 5 compared to 2016..

On 4/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, elliott said:

Agreed. He almost sent the Anarchy in the Arena match off the rails for me by doing that terrible bullshit in the middle of a ridiculously chaotic brawl. I dunno about top 1000, but he's not top 100 for me. 

Wait, that spot is enough to take him out of a ballot? shiiiiit.

8 minutes ago, Jmare007 said:

I agree with this, and considering we don't have Terry's main run as "has to have the best match of the night" run as NWA champ, it's hard to judge him. His floor is the most entertaining I've ever seen from a wrestler and his highs are so damn emotional and incredible that it puts him over the top for me. The "catalogue" crtieria I've always been very inconsistent when comparing wrestlers. I guess I just like Terry more.

Funk is still my n°1 and Danielson has gone up to top 5.

Wait, that spot is enough to take him out of a ballot? shiiiiit.

That spot would not be my only criticism. 

1 hour ago, EnviousStupid said:

What is Bryan's peak work in tag settings? Excluding the big gimmick matches like Anarchy in the Arena or Cage of Death, I don't know if his best is in the six-mans opposite The Shield or if there's some major tags from the indies I'm forgetting. 

I'd love to see how it compares to someone like Terry, where a lot of their All Japan work is in tags and with him regularly putting on the best performances in those matches.

Your best bet is probably his NOAH excursions where he was working a lot more tags than usual (namely with Davey and the like) remember those being quite well done for the time, if a bit of a product of that said time as well. That's a main weakness of Bryan as he's never truly been at that incredible quality in tags than he has in singles; it's the thing that leans over Terry over him for me, alongside Terry having far superior heel work (though that's way more personal as I simply don't like Bryan working heel most of the time lol)

The CHIKARA tag with Claudio VS Quack/Jigsaw is considered an all-timer by some. Making anyone give a shit about Kane is a feather in anyone's career cap (looking at you too Waltman and Helms!). Danielson would get plugged into good tags out of necessity pretty often, like Back To The Basics, but I can't think of many times he was booked with it as a focus. The NOAH tag leagues are a good call.

I'd agree Funk utterly smokes him in this area either way.

• 1 month later...