Pro Wrestling Only

Bull Nakano vs Aja Kong

Grimmas

Who do you have?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Of the two bull disciples, who is better?

• Bull Nakano
    • Aja Kong

It's a tough one and I've had to backspace every time I've started a post because I've realized what I was saying wasn't really correct. I do think Bull's pre-1990 run when she was more up and coming is far more notable with more highlights than Aja's pre-1992 run (although the 1990-92 chase reflects well on both of them). Aja probably peaked higher if you're looking at match quality, but Bull Nakano was able to get awfully close to that without the annoying garbage can and crowdhugging disguised as brawling.

I think Loss gets at a few of the reasons why I lean toward Bull. Bull is always drawing me in and doing something to make me feel invested and connected. Aja on several occasions causes me to disconnect, through the weapons and brawling stuff Loss refers toor sometimes repeating high impact moves over and over again.

I have more Aja to watch but I view Bull as a strong top 10 candidate and I don’t know what Aja could do to have me view her the same way. Bull is just more in line with what I want in a wrestler. 

Elliott brought this up elsewhere a while back and my gut response was Aja. I have since flipped on this and am pretty comfortable with that. I think Bull's top matches stack up pretty well against Aja's, but they are often different types of great to me. Aja is a punch in the mouth (literally and figuratively). Her best matches tend to be really smart well told stories wrapped in the package of a violent spectical.  I feel like when things didn't hit just right you got stuff like the repetition or the slight wandering in places. The more I watch Bull the more she feels like a master storyteller. Watching her from the 80s into the 90s has convinced me that she had a gift (from the start) for grabbing narrative threads and keeping them tied together, even in the most chaotic matches. Both flex incredible creative muscles. I currently have Bull at #9 and Aja at #30. Well within the range for this to flip as I watch more, particularly more late career aja, but for now.... Bull.