Pro Wrestling Only

Maybe Not Taue (Official GWE Podcast)

Grimmas

Welcome to the debut episode of Steven Graham's (they/he) Maybe Nat Taue, the official podcast of the Greatest Wrestler Ever project.

On this episode: your questions are answered, Kristen Ashly (she/her) and Warren Hayes (he/him)of Pro Wrestling Illustrated and Bell to Belles are here to discuss the making of the PWI Women's 150, and Steven gives their top 25 wrestlers of 1990.

Twitter: twitter.com/ProjectGwe or twitter.com/StevenGrahamTWS
Join the Discord: t.co/0pOARzaXHD?amp=1

There is a thread for questions in the GWE section, but I'll take them from this thread too.

Stream episode Maybe Not Taue: PWI and 1990 by The PWOM Podcast Network podcast | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Was only able to catch the Q&A early section and it was really informative, so seemed pretty good to me. Your mic sounded really low though and with some eco., I fast forwarded to the later parts of the podcast and it sounded better when you were talking to Kristen and Warren. Looking forward to catching up with the rest and more episodes as the project moves along.

2 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Was only able to catch the Q&A early section and it was really informative, so seemed pretty good to me. Your mic sounded really low though and with some eco., I fast forwarded to the later parts of the podcast and it sounded better when you were talking to Kristen and Warren. Looking forward to catching up with the rest and more episodes as the project moves along.

Thank you!

I tried to fix it, but it was in the recording and couldn't. Turns out recording through skype makes things sound better than recording directly through audacity. I'll try to fix it for next time.

Just a query about your Top 25 wrestlers for 1990.

In saying that Randy Savage was still great that year, even if not provided with opportunities to show that skill, doesn't that fly in the face of everyone else on the list? You're listing off the accomplishments of everyone else in 1990, even stating stan hansen had his weakest year in the 1985-95 decade, and that reflects his low placement. 

I agree with your overall point about greatness not being displayed at certain times through lack of opportunity, but is Randy Savage the only one given this exemption?

29 minutes ago, BigBadMick said:

Just a query about your Top 25 wrestlers for 1990.

In saying that Randy Savage was still great that year, even if not provided with opportunities to show that skill, doesn't that fly in the face of everyone else on the list? You're listing off the accomplishments of everyone else in 1990, even stating stan hansen had his weakest year in the 1985-95 decade, and that reflects his low placement. 

I agree with your overall point about greatness not being displayed at certain times through lack of opportunity, but is Randy Savage the only one given this exemption?

What I more meant was not given the opportunity to have great matches, not that he didn't show his great skill. He clearly showed that he was awesome, just that it wasn't coming out in great matches due to his booking/opponents.

Hansen same kind of boat. You are right, there may be some bias there. I'll re-evaluate that. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Maybe Not Taue: ROH & 1997 ft. Matt Feuerstein

Steven Graham is back with the second Maybe Not Taue podcast, the official podcast of the Greatest Wrestler Ever project. On this episode, Steven is joined by Matt Feuerstein (of thROH the Years) to discuss ROH's impact on wrestling and GWE. Steven also gives his top 25 wrestlers of 1997 and answers your questions.

Twitter: twitter.com/ProjectGwe or twitter.com/StevenGrahamTWS
Join the Discord: t.co/0pOARzaXHD?amp=1
Greatest Match Ever: gweproject.freeforums.net/

Stream episode Maybe Not Taue: ROH & 1997 ft. Matt Feuerstein by The PWOM Podcast Network podcast | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On this episode Dylan, from Stardom Quest, joins Steven to talk some Greatest Wrestler Ever candidates and Steven gives his top 25 wrestlers of 1985 and answers viewers question(s).

Join the discord: https://t.co/QmdUimsSH4

Time stamps:
0:00 - Introduction
8:43 - 1985 List, #25 to #11
40:49 - Dylan GWE Talk
1:28:14 - 1985 List, #10 to #1
1:55:25 - Q&A and Outro

Stream episode Maybe Not Taue - 1985 & Dylan by The PWOM Podcast Network podcast | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Hi Steven,

I gave this a listen this evening and enjoyed it. You've mentioned your intention to avoid Flair matches wherever possible, but I was wondering if any of the following US workers were close to making your 1985 Top 25 

DiBiase

Kerry Von Erich

Buzz SAwyer

Lawler

Dundee

Dick Murdoch

Terry Taylor

Also, not much New Japan or All Japan representation - any specific reason for that?

Again, enjoyed the podcast, and I'm asking because I'm curious to know the parameters you're working within for future episodes. Thanks.

4 hours ago, BigBadMick said:

Hi Steven,

I gave this a listen this evening and enjoyed it. You've mentioned your intention to avoid Flair matches wherever possible, but I was wondering if any of the following US workers were close to making your 1985 Top 25 

DiBiase

Kerry Von Erich

Buzz SAwyer

Lawler

Dundee

Dick Murdoch

Terry Taylor

Also, not much New Japan or All Japan representation - any specific reason for that?

Again, enjoyed the podcast, and I'm asking because I'm curious to know the parameters you're working within for future episodes. Thanks.

Murdoch was in the KKK so had 0 shot and Lawler has some dark shit in his history so no, while the others I watched some of. Buzz, Kerry, DiBiase were all very close. I didn't think of Taylor actually, so not sure. Next 80s year I'll give him a good look.

NJ/AJ I watched some of them, it's a lot of men being macho which is not my thing. Tenryu, Choshu, and Killer Khan almost made my list, last minute cuts really.

Basically, for parameters, no to racists and sex abusers, and no to shoot style. I don't like masculinity a huge amount, so I steer away from that mostly. Thanks for listening and enjoying! I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can be in this biased projecct!

6 hours ago, Clayton Jones said:

Ah gotchya. It's just easy to jump to those conclusions these days. Either way, Kerry had an awesome year!

6 hours ago, BigBadMick said:

I was asking because they had some of the best US matches in 1985. I hadn’t really thought about it beyond that. 

Thanks!

Yeah... there is something about WCCW that I think is good, but I just can't get behind. I can't articulate it yet. Kerry was clearly great, probably in the 26-30 range, but there is a lot of great wrestlers.

One day I'll figure out my Texas thing, like I figured out why I don't like shoot style.

3 hours ago, El-P said:

Yeah, hum... one of those parameters is not like the others ! :lol: 

100% they are not all for the same reasons. Shoot style is something I really dislike watching. I can explain why if you really want, but it's not for me. I can't fairly judge it.

• 1 month later...

I've been digging into these lately and I really like the top 25 by year format with rotating guests. Some episodes have some audio issues that I'm sure you're aware of but otherwise I'm a big fan of how this podcast has been evolving. I don't think it matters if the guest is on to share their top 25 or make a #1 case, either way it adds a nice variety episode to episode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 9:16 AM, Clayton Jones said:

I've been digging into these lately and I really like the top 25 by year format with rotating guests. Some episodes have some audio issues that I'm sure you're aware of but otherwise I'm a big fan of how this podcast has been evolving. I don't think it matters if the guest is on to share their top 25 or make a #1 case, either way it adds a nice variety episode to episode.

TY! Yeah I think I have the audio figured out now, the lastest one I was happy with that! Glad you are enjoying!