Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Rampage - Holiday Bash - December 25, 2021

Timbo Slice

5 hours ago, El-P said:

Well, the Cody & Brandi Rhodes act that got to AEW was first a heel act on the indies, IMPACT (if I'm not mistaken) and ROH/NJPW. The American Nightmare was absolutely not a babyface gimmick at the start. Sure, it was in AEW but that's because of the broader context, as all of these guys where IRL babyfaces to this audience, so they could not work heel at the very start (which has hurt Brandi, as she was at her best doing the Sensational Sherri valet gimmick, but she really could not do it alongside her babyface husband, which probably caused the confusion for her character during the first years). 

Yeah but Cody and Brandi got separated as an act in pretty much the first two episodes of Dynamite. That heel pair evolved into the face Nightmare Family stable. I guess the "face turn" such as it was, was his promo after his match with Dustin at the first Double or Nothing, when he said he needed a brother to fight brothers. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fightful dropping news that Miro was taking time off to rest a hamstring injury and that's why the only matches he's done since dropping the TNT titles were the ones he was filling in for Mox. I suppose that's why he dropped the belt and that explains why Sammy's reign seemed like it had no direction. 

On 12/30/2021 at 11:54 AM, MoS said:

Yeah but Cody and Brandi got separated as an act in pretty much the first two episodes of Dynamite. That heel pair evolved into the face Nightmare Family stable. I guess the "face turn" such as it was, was his promo after his match with Dustin at the first Double or Nothing, when he said he needed a brother to fight brothers. 

But that wasn't a turn either. He got a huge babyface pop coming out for that match. He was a heel in the match because it looked like he might murder his brother. Then they got a massive response for getting back together.

And that's the good version of the Cody character - a character that absolutely can swing between babyface and heel based on the situation, even within the same night. I think they're trying to get back there, and he'd be an incredibly valuable character if he can make it work again.