Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quietly moves the release of the WCCW DVD

sek69

The WWE produced DVD on the Triumph and Tragedy of WCCW was originally set to release 9/18, but a check on Amazon indicates it was pushed back to December. The offical WWE DVD page still lists the 9/18 date, and it's curiously the only non-PPV release without a clickable link to further info/matchlisting/purchase details.

Granted, current events would make it awkward to release a WCCW documentary now, but it seems like this might end up on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

They rarely update that DVD page. Remember the original summary for Mysterio's upcoming DVD, and how it listed Benoit as one of his rivals featured? It was still up there, well after the late-June events (even with all the WWE.com editing, which, granted, they were lazy with anyway) up until a link was up at Shopzone for the set. No one either noticed or cared to make mention to them about it.

KOCH's (in Canada) page has it scheduled for December 11, but that could change. They also had Austin's scheduled for August, but certain events likely altered that, too.

I'm curious if we'll get candid commentary from people involved in the demise of World Class, stars such as HHH, Steve Lombardi and Jim Ross.

I do remember hearing that this was going to be framed as Michael Hayes being the "architect" and major drawing card of the territory.

I expect a mess.

I wonder if Fritz is going to get the Gagne Treatment?

I'd say not, even with the "the Freebirds made WCCW" revision, they still put over Fritz on the 24/7 show as a guy ahead of the curve in terms of production and promotion at the time. In fact, it even ends up contradicting the time honored "Vince took wrestling out of smoke filled arenas" myth as Hayes states openly that Fritz was way ahead of the WWF in the early 80s.

Years? I could have sworn I heard that line in one of the Legends roundtables, most likely by McMaohn-proxy Hayes himself.

I've never seen the Legends roundtables (are those a 24/7 thing only, because I don't get 24/7). I was referring mainly to DVD releases. My theory is that they stopped using that line, just because it'd contradict a lot of things they've presented (the AWA drawing big in outdoor ballparks, etc.). Then again, contradiction wouldn't exactly stop them, would it?

They just rephrase it as Vince "going national" so that the viewer is left with the idea that wrestling would have forever remained in little fiefdoms had it not been for the WWF. When they discuss another territory they almost always go out of their way to emphasize that it was just a small little regional group and everyone in it secretly wished they could go to Vinceland.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if any dvd delays are tied to the Warrior lawsuit? WWE might be gunshy about what they produce on their documentaries.

I'd wager someone in the company had the common sense to realize that it might not have been the best time to release a DVD about a promotion famous for driving almost a whole family to suicide.

Found this on bbfc.co.uk:

01:33:10:10 THE TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY OF WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

00:17:43:21 (THE TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY OF WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING)

00:27:38:20 (TEXAS RASSLIN' - DUKE KEOMUKA VS. RICKY STARR - "2 OUT OF 3 FALLS")

00:10:57:19 (FRITZ VON ERICH RETIREMENT SHOW AT TEXAS STADIUM 6/4/82 - FRITZ VON ERICH VS. KING KONG BUNDY - AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP)

00:34:21:11 (WCCW STAR WARS - 12/25/82 - KERRY VON ERICH VS. RIC FLAIR - "STEEL CAGE MATCH" - WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP)

00:15:28:01 (WCCW - 5/18/83 - "ICEMAN" KING PARSONS

KEVIN & DAVID VON ERICH VS. THE FREEBIRDS - KEVIN VON ERICH ALTERNATE COMMENTARY)

00:12:58:07 (DAVID VON ERICH MEMORIAL - PARADE OF CHAMPIONS - 5/6/84 - FRITZ

KEVIN & MIKE VON ERICH VS. THE FREEBIRDS - "6 MAN TAG TITLE MATCH")

00:06:54:24 (DAVID VON ERICH MEMORIAL - PARADE OF CHAMPIONS - 5/6/84 - "GENTLEMAN" CHRIS ADAMS & SUNSHINE VS. "GORGEOUS" JIMMY GARVIN & PREVIOUS - "MIX TAG MATCH")

00:09:29:20 (DAVID VON ERICH MEMORIAL - PARADE OF CHAMPIONS - 5/6/84 - THE GREAT KABUKI VS. KAMALA)

00:13:36:05 (WCCW PARADE OF CHAMPIONS - 5/5/85 - FANTASTICS VS. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS - AMERICAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP)

00:12:20:10 (WCCW - 7/12/85 - KEVIN VON ERICH VS. "GENTLEMAN" CHRIS ADAMS - KEVIN VON ERICH ALTERNATE COMMENTARY)

00:11:30:22 (WCCW - 10/26/86 - BRUISER BRODY & THE MISSING LINK VS. ONE MAN GANG & RICK RUDE)

00:05:23:11 (3RD COTTON BOWL EXTRAVAGANZA - 10/12/86 - BRUISER BRODY VS. ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER - "STEEL CAGE MATCH")

00:07:13:15 (3RD COTTON BOWL EXTRAVAGANZA - 10/12/86 - BRUISER BRODY VS. ABDULLAH THE BUTCHER - "STEEL CAGE MATCH")

00:09:52:01 (STAR WARS OF WRESTLING - JUNE

1983 - "ICEMAN" KING PARSONS VS. BUDDY ROBERTS - "HAIR MATCH")

00:03:06:21 (TEA FOR TWO)

00:06:35:05 (JIMMY GARVIN & SUNSHINE WORK AS DAVID VON ERICH'S FARMHANDS - 7/21/83)

00:03:05:20 (SUNSHINE'S ASSISTANT - 6/29/83)

00:03:57:18 (FREEBIRDS PROMO ON VON ERICHS - 2/3/84)

00:04:54:20 (FREEBIRDS AT HOME - 4/23/84)

00:04:24:14 (MICHAEL HAYES - "BAD STREET USA" MUSIC VIDEO)

00:02:43:03 (GINO HERNANDEZ AT THE AIRPORT - APRIL

1984)

00:02:52:24 (CHRIS ADAMS & GINO HERNANDEZ CAR DEALERSHIP - 4/7/85)

00:01:30:10 ("ICEMAN" KING PARSONS VIGNETTE)

00:00:47:09 (INTERVIEW - MICHAEL HAYES - THE GREAT KABUKI)

00:00:40:20 (INTERVIEW - KEVIN VON ERICH - SUNSHINE IN ISRAEL)

00:01:42:02 (BILL IRWIN - INTERVIEW - FRITZ DOES BILL IRWIN A FAVOUR)

00:01:10:17 (KEVIN VON ERICH - INTERVIEW - WATCHING DAD WRESTLE)

00:02:11:17 (DORY FUNK JR. - INTERVIEW - FRITZ VON ERICH VS. DORY FUNK SR.)

00:00:25:02 (DVD EASTER EGG - KEVIN VON ERICH - INTERVIEW - WCCW LOGO)

00:06:19:06 (INTERVIEW - GARY HART - AIRPLANE CRASH)

00:01:31:20 (INTERVIEW - KEVIN VON ERICH - THE BOBO BRAZIL KICK)

00:02:21:22 (INTERVIEW - JIMMY GARVIN - KEVIN VON ERICH PULLS HIS OWN TOOTH OUT)

00:05:25:10 (INTERVIEW - KEVIN VON ERICH - CONCUSSION)

00:01:25:19 (INTERVIEW - KEVIN VON ERICH - SURVIVOR)

00:01:20:02 (EASTER EGG - INTERVIEW - KEVIN VON ERICH - HOW WCCW WAS NAMED)

00:00:36:06 (EASTER EGG - INTERVIEW - BUDDY ROBERTS - "FRITZ WAS THE FIRST PERSON I SAW WRESTLE ON TV")

00:00:54:14 (EASTER EGG - INTERVIEW - JIMMY GARVIN - BEING DAVID'S SERVANT)

00:02:00:13 (KERRY'S KORNER - 6/27/87)

00:00:35:20 (EASTER EGG - INTERVIEW - KEVIN VON ERICH - WHY I WRESTLE BAREFOOT)

• 1 month later...

It's really creepy how Kevin talks about his father like a wife speaking about an abusive husband. "Oh, he was just misunderstood, he was really a great father".

Also, what the hell happened to Jimmy Garvin? Jesus..........

*edit* Man, Gary Hart may be the realest dude in wrestling. From telling Fritz to stick this job up his ass after getting stiffed to not being able to look at a picture of Gino because he wasn't able to save him, he seems to be the least BS guy on the DVD.

Good stuff btw. My only complaint is the relative lack of David Von Erich matches. Build him up as a great talent and show him only once in a six-man?

Great story in the extras from Kevin Von Erich. Kevin at 7-8 is in the dressing room, telling Bobo Brazil how he got into trouble for using a horse kick at school. Bobo asks Kevin to demonstrate the move. Then Bobo goes out and beats Fritz Von Erich with the move.

I knew from pics that Jimmy Garvin wears his hair short now, I wasn't expecting him to look like Bob Ryder.

Those extras interviews are hardcore too. Between Gary Hart's tales of scaring some old couple shitless after a plane crash and Kevin's story of getting a hematoma and getting sent by Fritz to Japan to face some kickboxer dude despite being told another blow to the head could kill him while he's healing, there's some real fucked up moments.

Between Gary Hart's tales of scaring some old couple shitless after a plane crash and Kevin's story of getting a hematoma and getting sent by Fritz to Japan to face some kickboxer dude despite being told another blow to the head could kill him while he's healing, there's some real fucked up moments.

It's really creepy how Kevin talks about his father like a wife speaking about an abusive husband. "Oh, he was just misunderstood, he was really a great father".

So important in that context that it was worth repeating.

Speaking of Von Erichs and fucked up relationships with fathers, here's a tidbit from Lacey's Myspace page:

I LOVE WWE! They really make sure you’re completely taken care of, and the coaches are AWESOME! Everyone in developmental is down to earth so warming and welcoming and have tremendous respect for each other. It’s an honor to work with EVERYONE and I can’t wait to work out and see them everyday !! …. I am going to DO MY BEST to be a great wrestler. I want to bring old school back and make daddy proud! I really feel wrestling is coming easily to me but it could be the amazing coaches!!! ITS IN MY BLOOD and I’ll do the Von Erich name proud! Love everyone who supports me! This is a new found dream of mine and I won’t stop till I’m on top! A Tribute to my daddy.... RIP

Uh. Wow........was she raised by Kevin or is this just something in this family's DNA?