Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quietly moves the release of the WCCW DVD

sek69

One thing that isn't often mentioned about World Class is how young everyone was. At the time of the cage match, Kerry was just 22 years old. Gordy guarding the door was just 21. Hayes was 23. David Von Erich died at the age of 25. Mike Von Erich was 20 at the Cotton Bowl, 21 at his toxic shock syndrome episode and committed suicide at 23. Chris committed suicide at 21. Gino Hernandez OD'ed at the age of 28. I can't help but think the relative youth of the roster contributed a bit to the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading Meltzer's review of the DVD in the latest WON, and I thought of something. With all the controversy surrounding David's death, why can't someone go to the source to get the death certificate? In most states you can request a copy since they are public record. The family might be able to cover up the autopsy (which I don't see how since those are usually public record too), but the death certificate should be easily attainable.

I was reading Meltzer's review of the DVD in the latest WON, and I thought of something. With all the controversy surrounding David's death, why can't someone go to the source to get the death certificate? In most states you can request a copy since they are public record. The family might be able to cover up the autopsy (which I don't see how since those are usually public record too), but the death certificate should be easily attainable.

You said states. Remember he died in Japan.

You said states. Remember he died in Japan.

Right, but was the autopsy done there as well?

• 4 months later...

I'm curious if we'll get candid commentary from people involved in the demise of World Class, stars such as HHH, Steve Lombardi and Jim Ross.

I do remember hearing that this was going to be framed as Michael Hayes being the "architect" and major drawing card of the territory.

I expect a mess.

You know, while it's cute to make fun of the WWE's mainstay "experts," just because someone wasn't actually there, does it really give them no right to talk about it? Who's to say HHH and JR never watched WCCW and/or studied its past? In a way, saying they shouldn't be allowed to speak kind of supports the "you aren't in the business" arguments against the IWC's opinions.

Also, Lombardi is an odd choice, I agree, but Trips and JR ARE old school fans...so if they were on the documentary, it wouldn't be THAT jarring. I still haven't gottwn T&T, I don't know. I am perfectly happy with owning just Heroes, but I hear that T&T wasn't as bad as the Tribute to the Freebirds theme that was feared in this thread. If anything, the WWE DVD department is the one arm of the whole company that still deserves a benefit of a doubt once in a while.

Speaking of Von Erichs and fucked up relationships with fathers, here's a tidbit from Lacey's Myspace page:

I LOVE WWE! They really make sure you’re completely taken care of, and the coaches are AWESOME! Everyone in developmental is down to earth so warming and welcoming and have tremendous respect for each other. It’s an honor to work with EVERYONE and I can’t wait to work out and see them everyday !! …. I am going to DO MY BEST to be a great wrestler. I want to bring old school back and make daddy proud! I really feel wrestling is coming easily to me but it could be the amazing coaches!!! ITS IN MY BLOOD and I’ll do the Von Erich name proud! Love everyone who supports me! This is a new found dream of mine and I won’t stop till I’m on top! A Tribute to my daddy.... RIP

Uh. Wow........was she raised by Kevin or is this just something in this family's DNA?

Not to sound sexist or anything, but there are a LOT of 21-year-old girls (guys too) who write far worse than that on their Myspace and Facebook pages. At least she isn't cApItAlIzInG eVeRy OtHeR lEtTeR.

I'm curious if we'll get candid commentary from people involved in the demise of World Class, stars such as HHH, Steve Lombardi and Jim Ross.

I do remember hearing that this was going to be framed as Michael Hayes being the "architect" and major drawing card of the territory.

I expect a mess.

You know, while it's cute to make fun of the WWE's mainstay "experts," just because someone wasn't actually there, does it really give them no right to talk about it? Who's to say HHH and JR never watched WCCW and/or studied its past? In a way, saying they shouldn't be allowed to speak kind of supports the "you aren't in the business" arguments against the IWC's opinions.

Also, Lombardi is an odd choice, I agree, but Trips and JR ARE old school fans...so if they were on the documentary, it wouldn't be THAT jarring. I still haven't gottwn T&T, I don't know. I am perfectly happy with owning just Heroes, but I hear that T&T wasn't as bad as the Tribute to the Freebirds theme that was feared in this thread. If anything, the WWE DVD department is the one arm of the whole company that still deserves a benefit of a doubt once in a while.

Of course, they have a right to talk about it. But WWE has a tendency to use those three guys as key guys on DVD documentaries, regardless of the subject matter. I was just poking fun at that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DaDirtiest

Kevin's story of getting a hematoma and getting sent by Fritz to Japan to face some kickboxer dude despite being told another blow to the head could kill him while he's healing, there's some real fucked up moments.

Does video footage of this exist? I remember Kevin saying he mangled the guys knee and was quite angry.

I'd love to see that shit.