Pro Wrestling Only

Memphis Wrestling

kevinmcfl

KJiu4Km.png

The traditional CWA opening is played with some music being played as we see all the big stars of Memphis past hitting big moves.  One exception is there is no Jerry “The King” Lawler in the intro. 

(As the show starts, with see Lance Russell and Dutch Mantell and Jeff Gaylord, Dutch Mantell’s bodyguard.  

Lance Russell:  Yeeellow Everybody.  Lance Rusell alongside Dirty Dutch Mantell.  Fans, welcome to another great edition of championship wrestling.  This is professional wrestling like it used to be and the way you like it.  Dutch, why don’t you tell everybody what’s coming up in the next hour.    

Dutch Mantell:  Lance, you never cease to amazing.  Here you go again… just skipping over last week like it never happened.  I mean we’re partners.  Come on amigo… I got your back, you got mine ya know. 

Lance Russell:  Oh, I get it now.  You want credit for beating Shane Douglas last week in a tag match.  Why don’t you remind everyone exactly how much of that match you participated in.  8 seconds, I think. 

Dutch:    I think that should be a compliment, but it didn’t sound that way.  I mean come on Lance.  Give me some credit.  We all knew that I would beat Psycho Shane but in 8 seconds.  I amazed even myself with that one.

Lance Russell:  Oh brother…. You ran and hid for all but 8 seconds of the match and then pulled a rabbit out of a hat.  Since you won’t do it, I’ll tell everyone about today’s show.  First, the Fabulous Freebird Terry Gordy will make his debut as he takes on big Moondog Moretti.  Rip Rogers with that valet of his, Terry Powers, is in action against Darren Day.  The Russians are back in action as Boris Zhukov and Soldat Ustinov take on Shaun Simpson and Jimmy Del Ray.  Dick Slater will be here as we wait to see if Tommy “Wildfire” Rich responds to Slater’s ultimatum.  The Fab One Steve Keirn and Superstar Bill Dundee will be in tag action against The Watson brothers.  We will hear from The Lightening Express as well as Jerry Jarrett on the upcoming Southern Tag Team Title Tournament coming up in the middle of July.  And in our main event, it will be the Southern Heavyweight Champion “Nature Boy” Buddy Landel taking on Jeff Jarrett. 

Dutch:  Absurd… I beat Lunatic Shane and Jeff Jarret gets a title match.

Lance Russell:  Come on Dutch, enough already.  Let’s get to the ring. 

(As the camera turns toward the ring, we can all hear Dutch muttering to himself about the disrespect around this place.)

MATCH #1

“Freebird” Terry Gordy defeats Moondog Moretti with a Piledriver.

Lance Russell:  Welcome to Championship Wrestling Terry.  That was a great win you just had.  So what brings you to Memphis?     

kqxdzWy.png

Terry Gordy:  Lance, I was born and raised right here in Tennessee.  Down the road a bit in Chattanooga but this is home to me.  I was born and raised on southern ground and I learned early about how to fight for what I believe in and how to party after you win that fight.

Lance Rusell:  I hear you, Terry.

Terry Gordy:  Now Lance, there’s another reason I’m here and that’s the Southern Heavyweight Title.  There’s a boy running around here calling himself the Nature Boy.  Talking about how he just outsmarts others.  How he distracts you in the ring and then rakes your eyes out and then beats you down.   Sad thing is, Buddy Landel was also born and raised in Tennessee.  It seems to ol Bam Bam here that his Mama didn’t teach him how to right from wrong.  Buddy Landel… you can trust me on this brother… Terry Gordy can take it as good as he gives it.  There aint a man alive who is going to throw me off my game because of words.  I’ve been winning fights since I was 5 years old.  Kicking butt and taking names is what I’m used to.  Except in this case Landell, I going to be kicking butts and taking titles.

Lance Russell:  There you have it folks.  Terry Gordy is here, and Buddy Landell better be ready!

Dutch Mantell:  Lance… do you really think Buddy Landell looks like the one who wasn’t raised right.  Terry Gordy looks like who grew up with the pigs!

Lance Russell:  Dutch, why did you wait for Terry to leave before giving your opinion.  It seems like Shane Douglas isn’t the only one you’re afraid off.  Let’s take a break. 

Commercials + Promos for upcoming events in Memphis, Evansville, Louisville and Nashville

MATCH #2

Rip Rogers with Terry Powers defeats Darren Day with the Ripperplex.

Before the match Rip Rogers grabbed the house mic from the ring announcer.

Rip Rogers:  I know, I know, today is one of the saddest days in Memphis in a long, long time.  No longer will I come out here each and every week searching the stands for the needle in a haystack.  I won’t be straining my eyes searching for that one woman good enough to come to this ring and get the thrill of their life by helping my take off my vest and show off the most spectacular body known to man.  Men, that doesn’t mean the drool running down the ugly faces of your wives isn’t for me.  It is!  I mean you know it’s not for you ….  with those spare tires hanging around your waist and your gigantic neanderthal foreheads.  Now I have the perfect woman.  The most beautiful women in Memphis.  The most fit women in Memphis.  The one, the only Terry Powers.  Could you help me remove my vest.

pmj3YNr.png

Terry Power:  Hold on Honey.  I think it’s my turn.  Let me see if there is one man here in Memphis tonight who is man enough to help me with my jacket. 

Terry scans the crowd and a scour comes to her face.  Then she actually holds her nose like something stinks.

Terry Power:  Rip, you’re right.  These people fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.  TWICE I TIHNK.  There is only one thing for us to do…  I help you and you help me.

Terry and Rip help each other take off their attire and there is no denying these two are in shape.  Terry has many of the many looking closely as they still are not sure they like her muscles or not while the woman are googling Rip.

Dutch Mantell:  Hey Lance, I haven’t asked you how you’re doing after Terry gave you that close up last week.  I bet your wife wasn’t too happy.

Lance Russell:  Now did you have to go and bring that up again.

After the match, something very interesting happened.  After Rip got the win, Exotic Adrian Street and Linda sauntered their way to the ring.  Many of the fans in championship wrestling remember Street from the last time he was here back in the early and mid 80’s.  As Rip and Terry are exiting the ring, Street and Linda walk right past them and look at each other; hold their noses and then turn around and leave.

dTuCkLy.png

Rip and Terry head right to Lance.

Rip Rogers:  What in the heck was that. Was that a man or a woman!

Lance Russell:  That was Exotic Adrian Street.  The only question is what did he want with you?

Rip Rogers:  Street better want nothing from me or he is going to be in a world of trouble.  I mean look at him and look at me.  He’s not half the man I am.  I mean Terry here is more man that he is.

Lance Russell:  You said it Rip.  Not me. Let’s take a break. 

Commercials + Promos for upcoming events in Memphis, Evansville, Louisville and Nashville

Lance Russell:  I would like to bring out the President of Championship Wrestling, Jerry Jarrett.  Jerry, I know you have some information of the upcoming Southern Tag Team Tournament coming up on July 17th at the Mid-South Coliseum.

Jerry Jarrett:  I do Lance but first, we have some information on our next Mid-South Coliseum event that will take place on June 19th.  We all saw the impact that Tommy Rich had in the finals of the Southern Heavyweight Tournament.  As a result of his actions, Dick Slater will be getting a rematch against Buddy Landell for the Southern Heavyweight Title.  I promise to have more on that card next week.  As far as the Southern Tag Team Tournament on July 15th, we have been flooded with applications from all over the word.  We have received applications from Japan, Mexico, Canada and England and the applications keep flooding in.  Remember, a team must have a history of wrestling together and please send videos with your application for us to assess the team’s ability.  We only want the best of the best.  So far, three teams have been accepted.  Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner, The Lightening Express are in.  So are the Big Russians, Boris Zhukov and Soldat Ustinov.  And we’re really excited to have Superstar Bill Dundee and The Fab One, Steve Keirn. 

Dutch Matell:  Whoa, Whoa, hold on just a minute.  I know for a fact that I’ve filled out an application for both Jeff and myself.  And let’s throw in our big tag team win last week against Dundee and Shane “Psycho” Douglas.  So why didn’t I hear my name called ….. and how could Dundee and Keirn be in the tournament.  I mean they are not even a team!!

Jerry Jarrett:  Dutch… yes, last week you did get a nice win but after reviewing the tape, it was obvious that you wanted no part of that match.  You even complained then entire tv show last week how we couldn’t make you wrestle! And as far as Dundee and Keirn are concerned, they are two-time former Southern Heavyweight Tag Team Champions.  How can you say they are not qualified for this tournament.

Dutch Mantell:  Ridiculous… the fix is in.  Why do I even work here.

Lance Russell:  I was wondering that myself.

Dutch Mantell:  Shut up Lance.  Who asked you?

Jerry Jarrett:  I’ll tell you what I ‘ll do.  I will set you and Jeff up in a tag team match for June 17th in the Coliseum and if you do well, we will add you and your bodyguard to the tournament.

Dutch Mantell:  I’ll accept but I am getting sick and tired of playing second fiddle around here.  For the singles tournament you set me up there and then didn’t let me in at the last minute. 

Jerry Jarrett:  No set up…. You beat Superstar Bill Dundee and Fan One Steve Keirn and you’re in.

The fans go wild….

Dutch Mantell:  WHAT…… 

Jerry Jarrett walks off as Lance wonders how Dutch can keep getting himself into these situations. 

MATCH #3: 

Boris Zhukov & Soldat Ustinov defeat Shaun Simpson & Jimmy Del Ray in an exciting match where the fan favorites tried to use their speed to hold off the big Russians but this plan only worked for so long as eventually Jimmy Del Ray was caught with an illegal knee to the back which softened him up for the bearhug by Zhukov.

After the match, Boris Zhukov and Soldat Ustinov give a quick post-match interview where they do their best to riley up the fans with their anti-American rhetoric and complain about Jerry Jarrett not making them the #1 seed in the tag team tournament.  Lance tries to explain that they have not even received all of the applications yet and Jerry couldn’t name a #1 seed yet.  Boris started yelling about American bureaucracy as he and Soldat stormed off.

As The Russians leave, Ron Wright comes wheeling in.

Ron Wright:  I need Jerry Jarrett out here right now.  I mean he has crossed a line. 

Jerry Jarrett comes out and asks Ron what his problem is now.

Ron Wright:  You know exactly what the problem is.  You named the teams in the tag tournament and you didn’t call my team.

Jerry Jarrett: And what team is that Ron.  Your application had no team name on it.  You sent in no video for us to assess.  Heck, for all I know, you don’t even have a team.

Ron Wright:  I told you.  I’m not a tellin you the team name.  I’m not letting other teams get the scouting down.  My team is the best in the tournament and you’re just a gonna have to take my word on that.  That should be easy.  I mean I am the manager of the Christian Wrestlers Association…. The focus on Christian.

Jerry Jarrett:  (Smirking at Ron’s words) Sorry Jerry.  No team name and no video…. Not in the tournament.

Jerry walks away with Ron is hot pursuit with his wheelchair.

Dutch Mantell:  I think the power has gone to Jarrett’s head.

Before our next match, we see Dick Slater in another pre-recorded interview

Dick Slater:  Tommy Rich… one week has past and we have not seen hid nor hare of you.  We have not heard a word from you.  It is like you have vanished.  Last week, I gave you an ultimatum.  Show up here and fight me or I am going to send some very bad men looking for you.  Either way, it doesn’t matter to me.  Either way, it will be the end of you Tommy Rich.  Now it could just be the end of your career of you show up or it could be the end of your life if you don’t.  Your choice Rich but you better make it in the next 7 days.

Lance Russell:  Folks, I don’t know what to say.  Dick Slater has gone off the rails if you want my honest opinion.  Let’s get back to the ring.

MATCH #4

Superstar Bill Dundee & Fab One Steve Keirn defeat Drew and Lou Watson as Keirn connected with the Superkick.

K7PpfR2.png

Interesting thing here was that Dutch and Jeff Gaylord left for the post-match interview where Dundee and Keirn stressed how excited they were to be back together again and that they would really like to win the tournament for the Southern Tag titles. 

Another quick interview from the Lightening Express adds even more hype to the tag team tournament.  Brad and Tim both expressed interest in being the #1 seed in the tournament.  Dutch, who returned from his “bathroom break” laughed at the idea that the Lightening Express could be the #1 seed in any tournament.  Horner and Brad both laughed at Dutch and challenged him and Gaylord to a match, but Dutch said that he would have to pass because we were running out of time but if there was time, he would show The Lightening Express what a #1 seed looks like.  Lance, just shaking his head, sends us to the ring for our main event.

MAIN EVENT MATCH

SOUTHERN HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

“Nature Boy” Buddy Landell © defeats Jeff Jarrett after Jarrett obviously injured his leg after Landel rammed his knee into the ring post.  While Jarrett gave it his all, Landell on two legs had his way with the youngster.  Eventually Landell locked in the Figure 4 but no matter how much leverage Landell put on, Jarrett refused to submit. 

After about 4 straight minutes of the Figure 4 …

Lance Russell:  Come on Jeff.  Submit. You’re going to risk permanent injury.

Dutch Mantell:  Come one Lance, Jeff is Jarrett.  He’s too stupid to submit and he’s got his brain power from his father.

Lance Rusell:  Come on Dutch.  This kids in trouble.  Stop joking around.

Suddenly, the camera catches a white towel flying into the ring.

Lance Russell:  Here comes Dick Slater.  He’s thrown in the towel and he is going right after the champion. 

The ref calls for the bell awarding the match to the champ but he must now fend off Slater. 

Slater only gets a few blows in before Landell escapes with his belt and he high tail’s it back to the locker room.

Lance Russell:  Fans, lets here it for young Jeff Jarrett.  He has some will to win.  I hope he’s not too badly hurt.  Thank Goodness Dick Slater came to the rescue.  That is going to be some title match in the Mid-South Coliseum on June 17th.  We are out of time but make sure to join us here next week where the main event will be the Lightening Express facing Dutch Mantell and Jeff Gaylord. Until next time… Bye Bye Everybody.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordy arrives with a win and Bam Bam wastes no time letting Budro know he's coming for the title. That'll be a fun feud.

Looks like all Rogers & Powers' bragging had attracted the attention of the real most beautiful pair in wrestling.

Ya know, one of these days Dutch is gonna learn to keep his mouth shut. But I hope it isn't anytime soon because this is hilarious.

Those Russians will always find something to complain about.

I'm shocked Jarrett won't take a sweet old man like Wright at his word. You'd think he has a reputation for hitting guys in the head with a chisel or something.

Jeff proves he's all heart (though perhaps no brain) by refusing to give up to Landel's Figure four.

Oh yea! Terry Gordy has arrived! I think Budro's reign might be in trouble. I'm really looking forward to Gordy's impact here. 

I love how things can get started by a simple look. Can't wait to watch this Street/Rogers situation unfold. 

The tag title tournament is getting serious attention. Once again, poor Dutch has to prove himself. 

The Russians proved to me they belong in the tournament.

I hope Jerry comes around and allows Wright's team in. I mean if you can't trust Wright, who can you trust? 

Slater gets a rematch with Budro, but his issues with Rich might get in the way. 

Dundee and Keirn might be the tournament favorites. Unless Dutch can sidetrack them. 

Jarrett proves he's one tough kid and Slater might be totally focused on Landel after all. 

The weekly banter between Lance and Dutch is some of the best in the league.

JJ proves himself as a tough one but might not be all that smart a thing to do as 4 minutes in the Figure Four has to leave some kind of damage. Wondering if Slater throwing in the towel creates some problems between Dick and Jeff.

Bill Dundee getting involved is a good thing. While there might not be a Jerry Lawler here, Bill has a long history in the area so seeing him front and center of a tag tournament is a good thing.

Buddy has to grow eyes in the back of his head with Terry Gordy on his tail. Not someone I would want chasing after me, that's for sure.

Huge fan of Power and Gordy as the Terry(i)s make their way (back) to the top. Gordy for me is the one who will be on top of the mountain quickly... in 88 he has got some good stuff... he can be top dawg before too long. A good tournament always draws in a rating and the tag titles are doing that. Make it anyone's ball game and everyone is a winner.

KJiu4Km.png

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING ASSOCIATION:  EPISODE #13:  June 3, 1988

The traditional CWA opening is played with some music being played as we see all the big stars of Memphis past hitting big moves.  One exception is there is no Jerry “The King” Lawler in the intro. 

(As the show starts, with see Lance Russell and Dutch Mantell and Jeff Gaylord, Dutch Mantell’s bodyguard.  

Lance Russell:  Yeeellow Everybody.  Lance Rusell alongside Dirty Dutch Mantell.  Fans, welcome to another great edition of championship wrestling.  This is professional wrestling like it used to be and the way you like it.  Dutch, why don’t you tell everybody what’s coming up in the next hour.    

Dutch Mantell:  Why is it that you can never do your job.  I mean Jeff and I have a big match to get ready for.    

Lance Russell:  I’m sorry Dutch.  A few weeks ago, you claimed you couldn’t wrestle because you were an announcer on this show and now you claim you are a wrestler and not an announcer.  It’s hard to keep up with you Dutch.  

Dutch:    It would be very easy for me to do my job if you and Jerry Jarrett would do yours.  Everyone knows that I’m the best wrestler here, but Jarrett keeps making me jump through hoops to win one of these titles instead of just giving me what I deserve and anyone who listens to this show for 10 minutes knows I carry this announce team and you are just along for the ride. 

Lance Russell:  Oh brother….  Okay folks, on today’s show we have The Dirty White Boys in action as he faces Brad Colbert. 

Dutch:  Ya know. The Dirty White Boy’s manager, Ron Wright, and I have been talking about how things are being run around here and we are none too happy. 

Lance Russell:  and now you want to be a color commentator.  Make up your mind Dutch.  Also on today’s show we will once again have Freebird Terry Gordy in action as he takes on Larry Cheatum.  We will also take a look at the Dick Slater-Tommy Rich situation as today is the due date, if you will, for Tommy Rich to answer Slater’s ultimatum.  Well last week you saw him walk to the ring during Rip Roger’s match and this week you will see him in action, it will be Exotic Adrian Street taking on Big Money Marcus.

Dutch:  Oh come on Lance.  That freak is here.

Lance Russell:  I don’t think Big Money Marcus would appreciate that.

Dutch:  I’m not talking about Big Money and you know it.

Lance Russell:  I never know what your talking about Dutch.  I promise you that.  Now please let me finish.  We also have a dandy of a match as Too Cold Scorpio takes on Shaska Whatley.  Jerry Jarrett will be with us, not only with an update on the upcoming Southern Tag Team Tournament but also on the health of his son, Jeff, who suffered a pretty bad knee injury at the hands of the Southern Heavyweight Champion, The Nature Boy Buddy Landel….  And finally, the main event will be The Lightening Express, Tim Horner and Brad Armstrong taking on my “partner” Dutch Mantell and his bodyguard, Jeff Gaylord.  Dutch, anything you want to add.

Dutch:  There’s nothing left to say.  You talked enough for 30 people.  Let’s get to the ring. 

MATCH #1

The Dirty White Boy with Ron Wright defeats Brad Colbert with the Bucksnort Blaster.

Lance Russell:  Mr. Wright, I’ve heard

Dutch Mantell:  Enough Lance.  Let me do my job.  Ron, I was just telling everyone about our conversion the other day about how this organization is being run into the ground.

Ron Wright:  Dutch, you got that right.  I mean Jerry Jarrett has only been in business a few months and he seems to be a goin out of his way to keep good Christian men like you and me down.  I mean both of us have to jump through hoops to just get a spot in this upcoming here tag team tournament.

Lance Russell:  Now that would be a sight to see.  You, Ron Wright, jumping through hoops.

Dutch Mantell:  Are you kidding me Lance.  Making fun of the handicap now.  I mean seriously.  Ron Wright, the leader of the Christian Wrestler’s Association, … a man who needs multiple surgeries just to walk again after he’s givin his life trying to help the good people of professional rastling and you go and make fun of him.  I’m sorry Ron.

Ron Wright:  That’s okay Dutch.  Heathens will be heathens.  As I was a sayin…. Jerry Jarret making you beat Bill Dundee and Steve Keirn just to get a spot in the tournament is ridiculous…. And then, he still hasn’t accepted my team into the event either.  I mean he should just have my team face you a Jeff for the title.  We are clearly the best teams in the tournament along with being the best technical wrestlers… the best Christian wrestlers.  Instead, he is going to find a way to make sure some heathens like the Lightening Express or Dundee and Keirn win the belt.

Lance Russell:  I can’t listen to this anymore.  Let’s take a break.    

Before we get to the ring for our next match, Jerry Jarrett is at the podium.

Jerry Jarrett:  First, I would like to thank each and every one of you for sending in all the get well cards and letters to my son Jeff.  As most of you know, he suffered a pretty sever leg injury last week when he was locked in Buddy Landel’s Figure Four for quite some time.  Luckily, there is no structural damage and he will not need any surgeries… just some time to recover.

Dutch Mantell:  Well isn’t this a case of who you know.  Nothing wrong with little Jeff’s leg but he gets lots of card and well wishes.  Mr. Ron Wright, the head of the Christian Wrestler’s Association, is in need of a wheelchair and can’t even get his team in the Southern Tag Team Tournament.

Lance Russell:  Dutch, do you ever wonder why people don’t like you.

Jerry Jarrett:  Thank you Lance.  Anyway, I tried to give Jeff some advice that sometimes it is better to give up and fight another day, but he would hear none of it and says that he will never give up.

Lance:  Sounds like he’s got his father’s stubbornness.

Dutch:  Did you say he’s got his father’s stupidity?

Jerry:  Watch it Dutch.

Dutch:  What… I’m a little hard of hearing.

Jerry:  Moving on… as for the Southern Heavyweight Tag Team Tournament, we’re are still evaluating all the tapes but we have added another team to the tournament.  The team will be coming all the way from Japan, and I admit they are very impressive.  That now makes 4 teams in and 4 more to join.

Dutch Mantell:  And when we beat Dumbdee and Keirn in Mid-South Coliseum on June 19, Jeff and I will be #5 and you better let Ron Wright’s team in.

Jerry Jarrett:  Ron Wright knows the deal.  Send in a video tape and identify the wrestlers on your team and we will give him a fair evaluation.

Lance Russell:  Thanks Jerry. 

MATCH #2

Terry Gordy destroys Larry Cheatum with the finish coming from the piledriver. 

Terry gives another post-match interview where he puts all the heels on notice but his focus really seems to be “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel and the Southern Heavyweight title.   

Lance Russell:  I would like to bring out “The Rebel” Dick Slater.  Dick, you have made some comments and demands that I am in fact a little taken back by and can’t condone about Tommy “Wildfire” Rich.  Would you care to explain. 

Dick Slater:  Lance, I’m truly sorry to you and any of the fans who are upset by my actions but this is life.  Tommy Rich for the last year has taken thousands of dollars out of my pocket by costing me both the AWA World Title and the Southern Heavyweight Title.  He did this through disgusting means.  I have given him a chance to come and meet me in the ring, in a parking lot or anyplace of his choosing.  We could have settled this man to man.  Everyone knows that he heard my message, but he has refused to answer.  He has left me no choice.  I know some very ummm, powerful people in the world.  They will find him for me, and they will get my money …. Whether its in cash or his hide.

Lance Russell:  You know this is against the law.

Dick Slater:  Not where I come from and don’t act like this is the first time in this sport there is a bounty on someone.  I’ve had a few bounties put on me and I have collected a few bounties placed on others.  This is the world we live in.  Tommy you know how to find me, and trust me, I know people who know how to find you. 

Lance Russell:  Uhhh, I am at a loss for words, lets get to the ring.

MATCH #3: 

Exotic Adrian Street with Miss. Linda pranced around the ring and systematically defeated Big Money Marcus with the Sleeper. 

Lance Russell:  Well welcome back Adrian.  We haven’t seen you are here in a few years.  What brings you back.

Exotic Adrian:  I might have been away, but I was watching.  I was watching Rip Rogers give us his malarkey about being the most beautiful man in wrestling and then he brings in Terri Power and now they act like they are above everyone else. So, I came out here last week just to hear what Rip would say and just like I thought… he has no class.  Listen up Rip and Miss. Powers, I’ve got a message for you right  now…  I’ll kick you.  I’ll kiss you.  I bet.  I’m as tough as Muhammed Ali and as sexy as May West.  I’m as cute as Shirley Temple and as fast as Bruce Lee.  I could kill a man… eventually …. so be careful Terry Powers and while I don’t like hitting woman, in your case Rip, I’d make an exception. 

Dutch:  Street:  I’d be careful if I were you.  I think both Rip and Terry could take you out 1…2..3.

Exotic Adrian:  And if I were you, I’d crawl under a rock and never come out.  Oh, I think you tried that in your last match where you hid for all but 8 seconds.  I mean I’ve heard of a minute man but 8 seconds.  Now I know why your single and have a man valet.

Dutch:  Watch it freaky.

Exotic Adrian:  Or else, what… I could do anything for 8 seconds.  Let’s go Linda.  This ummm, man is beginning to bother me. 

Lance:  Dutch… I think you met your match there.  Let’s go to break.

Before our next match, Dutch and Jeff Gaylord leave to go get ready for their match or at least that is what they claimed.  Lance seemed to think it was because Superstar Dundee and Steve Keirn, their opponents at the next Mid-South Coliseum event, come out for an interview.  Both Dundee and Keirn are hyped about the Southern Tag Team Championship coming up in July but also real excited to keep Dutch and his bodyguard from even getting into the tournament. 

MATCH #4

Shaska Whatley vs Too Cold Scorpio

Very exciting match that Lance was glad to call without Dutch so he didn’t have to listen to him come up with another stupid name for Too Cold Scorpio.  As for the match, Whatley was somewhat over matched by Scorpio’s speed, aerial tactics and overall unorthodox style…. But in the end Whatley cheated just enough to catch Scorpio with a low blow followed by a diving headbutt for the win.

Another quick interview from the Lightening Express adds even more hype to the tag team tournament.  Brad and Tim both expressed interest in being the #1 seed in the tournament.  Dutch, who returned from his “bathroom break” laughed at the idea that the Lightening Express could be the #1 seed in any tournament.  Horner and Brad both laughed at Dutch and challenged him and Gaylord to a match, but Dutch said that he would have to pass because we were running out of time but if there was time, he would show The Lightening Express what a #1 seed looks like.  Lance, just shaking his head, sends us to the ring for our main event.

MAIN EVENT MATCH

“Superstar” Bill Dundee & “The Fab One” Steve Keirn  vs “Dirty” Dutch Mantell & Jeff Gaylord

Interesting thing here was that Dutch Mantell started the match; much different than two weeks when he basically refused to wrestle.  At least it seemed interesting to Lance Rusell until the match started and we see that Dutch again has no interest in wrestling.  He plays the heel-delay for as long as he could until the ref demanded that he wrestle.  That is exactly when he tagged in his bodyguard.

As for the match, Dundee and Keirn used their technical advantage and speed keep Gaylord, who again did most of the work, off balance.  Dutch did participate more here but only after his bodyguard connected with a few power moves.  In the end, Dundee rolled up Gaylord with a small package but before he could get the pin, Dutch rushed the ring with his bullwhip and nailed both Dundee and Keirn.   

The crowd erupted as the Lightening Express hit the ring and before Dutch could turn around, they connect with double dropkicks to Dirty Dutch.

Dutch dropped his bull rope as he fell through the ropes. 

Superstar Bill Dundee picks up the bull rope and dares Dutch to get back in the ring.  Dutch is stomping his feet as he demands his bull rope back.  Dundee realizes Dutch isn’t coming back so he pursues Dutch with the bull rope.  You hear a loud CRACK as Dundee just misses but snaps the rope off the floor.  Jeff Gaylord turns to help his boss but then decides discretion as the better part of valor and joins Dutch on a run to the locker room.

Lance Russell:  Fans, I think Dutch might have made a big mistake when he took out that bull rope.  Now Dundee has the rope and I can bet you dollars to doughnuts he’s not giving it back.  Make sure to join us next week to see if Dundee caught Dutch with that bull rope.  We will also want to hear from Rip Rogers about the challenge given to him today by Exotic Adrian Street.  Until next time… Bye Bye Everybody.

Ron Wright & Dutch have really bonded over their mutual pastime, complaining about Jerry Jerrett.

The tag title tournament goes international with a Japanese duo coming for the gold.

Gordy has his eyes locked firmly on Landel.

Rich misses his deadline and Slater puts the word out, the hunt is on.

I think Street & Dutch sniping at each other was the best part of the show.

Whatley gets a dirty win on Scorpio.

Not only does Dutch get his team disqualified losing their spot in the tournament, Dundee up & swipes Shoo baby!

Jeff Gaylord is just this conundrum of a guy who has a spot in the history of pro wrestling in this era, I just haven't found a spot in my brain to put him. I love Street and Linda and the write up - makes a ton of sense. Terry Gordy looks strong and continues to be a guy who is scratching the surface of superstardom.  I am intrigued to see how Slater and Rich plays out. In 1988 - these are guys who had enough name value to bring the heat and I know they can do it in the ring.  

I remember Jeff Gaylord well from his Texas days. Big guy not much else going for him in my opinion. The Missouri Tiger football thing was mentioned time and again. Was always a follower or team muscle so it fits well here that he's a "bodyguard" for Dutch.

Adrian Street in Memphis is an interesting case and not going to be the heel with Rip Rogers and Dutch Mantel in his sights. That should be a lot of fun. While Adrian is heads and shoulders the better (or should I say more successful wrestler irl) of the two, I am giving Terri Power the nod over Miss Linda who was an actual trained wrestler.

Terry Gordy still has some good years ahead of him as of 1988 and seems to be running roughshod over whoever is put in front of him. He has to go looking for some gold which puts that target on Buddy Landel.

Slater with a bounty on Tommy Rich does not bode well for Wild Fire. I see a long and bloody summer between these two.

I love how Lance isn't afraid to get jabs in on Dutch. They're chemistry brings so much entertainment to the show.

And of course, Dutch and Wright support each other 100%. Will the Christians represent in the tournament? 

The tag tournament is really shaping up as it goes international with representatives from Japan coming in. 

Gordy is ready to mow the heels down. Looks like Landel is number one on the hit list. 

Rich is in big trouble now as Slater's "people" are coming to collect. I can't wait to see how this pans out. I have a feeling the summer of 88 will be a Rich/Slater blood feud. 

Damn, Street definatley got the best of Dutch in that verbal exchange LOL. 

Shaska defeats Scorpio in a fun and competitive TV match. 

Great way to end the show with Shoo Baby in Dundee's hands. Bad night for Dutch. 

KJiu4Km.png

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING ASSOCIATION:  EPISODE #14:  June 10, 1988

(As the show starts, with see Lance Russell and Dutch Mantell and Jeff Gaylord, Dutch Mantell’s bodyguard)  

khSRua6.png

Dutch:  Before we talk about this week’s show, I want to go back to last week’s show where a major crime took place.  Bill Dumbdee stole my bull whip.  He stole my Shoo Baby!  I demand that he return it to me today.  That bull whip is a family heirloom and has been in my family for generations. 

Lance:  Are you talking about the same bull whip you used to hit “Superstar” Bill Dundee with …. The same Bull Whip that you then used to attack “The Fab One” Steve Keirn with?

Dutch:  Were you even watching Lance?  Those two cheaters were trying to show up Jeff and myself as Dumbdee obviously had a hold of Jeff’s tights as he went for the pin.

Lance:  Come on Dutch… just once in your life can you tell the truth.

Suddenly Eddie Marlin, the general manager of Championship Wrestling, comes out. 

Lance:  Eddie, I’m sure you have an opinion on this.

Eddie:  In fact I do.  Here in championship wrestling we have very strict rules on the use of outside weapons.  Dutch, this is not the first time you have used that bull whip in a match.  The last time it was against “The Franchise” Shane Douglas and we gave you a pass as it was deemed that the bull whip was part of your wrestling attire…. But we did give you a stern warning that if you used it again, you would be punished.  I’m here to announce that you have been fined $500 for your actions last week.

Dutch:  This is ridiculous.  My team is cheated out of victory and nothing happens to our opponents.  Nothing happens to the Lightening Express who then charged the ring and helped the original cheaters and then Bill Dumbdee commits a crime and you do nothing about it!

Eddie Marlin:  Dutch, your lies will get you nowhere.  I spoke to Superstar just a little while ago and apologized on behave of Championship Wrestling for your actions.  He accepted that apology and actually agreed to give you back the bull whip.

Dutch:  Well he better or Jeff and I were about to go back there and give him the beating of his life.

Eddie:  Oh you will get that opportunity.

Dutch:  What are you talking about Eddie.

Eddie:  Dundee did have one request, which I quickly granted considering your actions from last week.  He wanted a match with you… today… in fact… a bull whip match where your bull whip is suspended on a pole in the corner of the ring and whoever gets it can use it in the match. 

Dutch:  What are you insane?  Do you know what that bull whip feels like when it rips off your skin.

Eddie:  Actually, no I don’t Dutch, but Bill Dundee does and he wants revenge… today.  Oh and one more thing, Jeff Gaylord is banned from ringside!

Eddie Marlin simply walks away as Dutch is throwing a hissy fit and Lance is having a good chuckle.

Lance:  There you go again Dutch.  You stepped right in it.  Fans, I know you’re looking forward to the match that Eddie Marlin just told you about but we have so much more.  Boris Zhukov and Soldat Ustinov will be in tag action against Bo Dean and Luke Atkins.  Rip Rogers with Terri Powers will be taking on Jimmy Del Ray.  The Southern Heavyweight Champion, Nature Boy Buddy Landel will be taking on Shaun Simpson in a non-title match.  Brad Armstrong will be taking on Shaska Whatley in a doozy of a match.  We will also be hearing from Ron Wright who has promised to bring his tag team today to show why they deserve to be one of the teams in the Southern Tag Title tournament coming up on July 12th in the Mid-South Coliseum.  Dick Slater will be here with a very important message for Buddy Landel.  He says he also has a very interesting video regarding Tommy “Wildfire” Rich. That and much more.  It looks like we are ready to go so let’s get to the ring. 

MATCH #1

Boris Zhukov & Soldat Ustinov destroy Bo Dean and Luke Atkins with the end coming by submission as Zhukov rag- dolled Dean in a Bearhug until Dean submitted.

After the match, Zhukov and Ustinov praise Mother Russia for allowing them to come to this stupid country where it is so easy for them to become tag team champions and they can’t wait to destroy Steve Keirn and Bill Dundee to become the #1 team in the Southern Tag Team Tournament on July 17th. 

Zpz6BJr.png

When we come out of break, Jerry Jarrett is at the podium and gives us a complete rundown of next week’s big card at the Mid-South Coliseum and he also announces that one more tag team has been entered into the Southern Tag Team Tournament next month; The world famous and multi-times champions, the Assassins.  Jarrett reminds us that the other teams that are already entered include The Lightening Express, Zhukov and Ustinov, the Japanese National tag team champions, along with the former Southern Tag Team Champions, Bill Dundee and Steve Keirn

Dutch Mantell:  Jarrett, I’m just reminding you that you agreed that if we beat the Lightening Express next week, my bodyguard Jeff and I will be team #6.

Jerry Jarrett:  How could I forget.  You remind me every chance you get. 

Suddenly, Ron Wright comes wheeling in… followed by 2 men in non-descript masks.

jWCEbwb.png?1

Ron Wright:  Hold on… hold on just a minute.  I got the next team for you right here.  You promised me that if I brought my team here today they would be in the tournament.  And here they are… the greatest team in wrestling today… Devil #1 and Devil #2.

Jerry Jarrett:  Now Ron, I think you are taking a few steps out of this application process.  First, I told you I needed a team that has wrestled together before.  You have no proof of that.  I told you I needed to see them in action or at least a video tape of their skills to evaluate.  You have not provided any of that.  As far I can figure, this Devil’s Duo is just two random people who you want us to beat under contract so you can make money and continue to steal from all the good people of Tennessee.

Ron Wright:  Steal… Are you accusing me of stealing.  I’m the leader of the Christian Wrestler’s Association.  I have done a world of good for the people in this here neck of the country and you accuse me a being a criminal.  I just don’t want all these other teams in the tournament to have an unfair advantage and go scouting my team when I don’t have the same chance to scout the other teams.  I mean I think Jarrett purposely puts the competition in arenas without handicap ramps on purpose so I can’t a go and learn about how they rassle.

Jerry Jarrett:  Forgive me for being skeptical.  I mean who could doubt the leader of the Christian Wrestler’s Association.  Especially when he comes out with two Devils! 

Dutch Mantell:  Hold on now Jarrett.  I’m getting a little tired

Jerry Jarrett:  Then go take a nap.  I’m getting tired of you too. 

Jarrett simple walks away.

Dutch Mantell:  Ron, I don’t know what to say.  You’ve done everything he has asked you.  I think he is just such an evil man that he doesn’t want you to get that money you need to get those hip and knee surgeries you so badly need.

Lance Russell:  Why don’t you two just follow the rules and then maybe you might just get what you want.  Let’s get back to the ring.  You two are making me nauseous.

MATCH #2

Rip Rogers with Terri Powers defeats Jimmy Del Ray with the Ripperplex

Prior to the match, Terri, who is wearing a black silk robe takes the house mic.

Terri:  I know, I know, week after week Rip has come out here and given the overweight, undereducated woman of Tennessee the thrill of a lifetime.  Well, I guess now it’s my turn.  All you old men in the stands and out there in tv land, go tell your fat old lady to take a hike.  Go put your bratty kids to bed.  And then you get real close.  If your out there in the audience, scoot up to the edge of your seat.  If your at home, get your eyes so close to the tv that the hair on your eyebrows is sticking up… your about to see the show of a lifetime.  Now hit my music… “She’s a Brick House” starts to blare from the speakers as Terri twirls around and around while giving a slow striptease with her white bikini on.  The whistles and the hollers from the fans are constant as Lance warns us all that this is a family show and maybe the kids should go to bed.  Dutch reminds Lance that it is only 11:00 in the morning and that he seems a little distracted. 

b7a6q8i.png

Rip took the mic and does his stick as Terri eventually helps him remove his pink vest. 

KYgs4sk.png

After his match, Rip and Terri head over to the podium.

Lance Russell:  I must admit that was rather impressive.

Terri Powers:  I know Lance baby.  I saw how you reacted to my personal show a few weeks ago.  That was pretty impressive also.

Lance Russell:  (clears his throat) Terri, I was talking about Rip’s big win a few minutes ago.

Rip Rogers:  Everything I do is impressive.  I look impressive in and out of the ring and that’s more than I can say for that freak Exotic Adrian Street.  I mean last week he was out here talking about how he will kick me and kiss miss all in the same sentence.  Then he had the nerve to go and insult Terri.  I mean his old lady couldn’t carry Terri’s bag.  Anytime… any place…. I’ll beat you so bad you won’t know what bathroom to use…. Oh wait… not sure you know that now.

Before his match, Buddy Landel comes to the podium with his Southern Heavyweight title tossed over his shoulder.

Lance Russell:  Buddy, you have a big rematch coming up next week in the Mid-South Coliseum against “The Rebel” Dick Slater.  Some say you shouldn’t be the champion now and the only reason you have the belt is because of Tommy Rich. 

Buddy Landell: People can say whatever they want.  I’m the one and only Nature Boy.  I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth.  I’ve been destined to have gold around my waist since day 1.  Those who think Dick Slater should be champion are the same people who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and were never smart enough to cross them… just like Dick Slater.  Look at him… he’s hired a hit man to go after Tommy Rich.  Is this the person you want as your champion? I think not but no need to worry… The Nature Boy is superior to Dick Slater in every way.  When all the dirt from Slater settles in the Mid-South Coliseum… I will still be the Southern Heavyweight Champion.

Dutch Mantell:  Thank God for good people like you and Ron Wright Buddy.  You make coming to work every day worthwhile.  Speaking of good people, I just hope Tommy Rich is in a safe place right now.  He has been one of the bright spots in this sport for the past few years.

Lance Russell:  Oh brother.  Let’s get back to the ring.

Match #3

Southern Heavyweight Champion Buddy Landel defeats Shaun Simpson with the Figure 4.

After the bout, Landel decides not to release the hold and amps up the pressure by holding on to the ropes.  No matter what the ref does, the Southern Heavyweight Champion refuses to release the hold.

Lance Russell:  Oh come on!  This is despicable.  Something needs to be done about this.  Landel is going to break poor Shaun Simpson’s leg.

Suddenly, Dick Slater rushed the ring but Landel saw him coming and quickly slides out to the ring floor.  Slater is screaming at Landel while Landel simply points to his head in attempt to show everyone just how smart he is.

After Buddy Landel heads back to the locker room, Dick Slater comes over to the podium.

Lance Russell:  Well Dick, on behalf of Championship Wrestling, I’d just like to thank you for your help.  It seemed like Buddy Landel was trying to make an example of young Shaun Simpson.

Dick Slater:  Landel was trying to get under my skin and guess what… he succeeded!  There’s no reason to do what you just did but if you think your so tough, why don’t you come out here right now and we can so who the real tough guy is.  I don’t care if it’s Buddy Landel or Tommy Rich.  I’m going to make sure that I get my pound of flesh for what they’ve cost me.

Lance Russell:  Speaking of Tommy Rich.  I’d like to show everyone a video that Tommy sent in

us just the other day.

We see a video, presumable from Tommy’s house where there is a huge black man casing the house, peaking through the windows and trying to turn the door handle.

We then get some words from Tommy about how Dick Slater has crossed the line and that how he will see him real soon but it will be on his schedule.  Tommy is all fired up about how he doesn’t back down to anyone, no matter the situation.

Dick Slater:  (laughing)  Tommy, I told you we can do this the easy way or the hard way.  If you don’t show up here real soon, my friend is going to pay you a visit… when and where you least expect it.

Lance Russell:  I’ve said it before Dick.  This situation makes me uncomfortable.  Let’s take a break.

Match #4

Brad Armstrong vs Shaska Whatley

This back and forth match has a rather chaotic ending as a man in a blue mask, black tights and a black fitted top rushes the ring and attacks Brad Armstrong from behind.  Lance comments on how he can’t prove it but that the mask man has a very similar body type to Jeff Gaylord!  The attack continued for a minute until both Tim Horner and Bob Armstrong rush out to make the save.

Lance Russell:  Dutch, I smell a rat. 

Dutch Mantell: Me too.  I really think they should clean up this city.

Lance Russell:  That’s not what I’m talking about and you know it.  That masked man looked just like your bodyguard, Jeff Gaylord.  I am pretty gosh darn sure you trying to make sure the Lightening Express aren’t at full strength for your tag match with them next week at the Mid-South Coliseum. 

Dutch Mantell:  Ya know, I’m getting sick and tired of this.  Every time something a little fishy happens around here, ya’ll blame me or Jeff.

Lance Russell:  Well if the show fits Dutch.

Dutch Mantell:  Oh put a sock in it Lance.  I’m going to get ready for my match.

Lance Rusell:  I’m sorry folks.  The shenanigans of Dutch Mantell seem to be getting under my skin.  I really shouldn’t accuse him of such actions without any prove but I have just seen so much nonsense over the past few months that I can’t help myself.  Let’s take a break.

Before the match, Lance is all fired up on what a camera just caught on tape when he secretly went to the back by the locker room.  

We see Jeff Gaylord, dressed in black tights and a black fitted shirt come out of the locker room and toss a blue mask into the trash can.

Dutch notices the camera and knows this looks bad and tries to praise Jeff for going to the back and cleaning up the locker room. 

This brings out Eddie Marlin who is fuming and quickly levies another $500 fine on Dutch Mantell.  Dutch wants to know what he did and Eddie says that while he can’t prove that Dutch planned the attack to prevent Brad Armstrong from getting to the Mid-South Coliseum last week, he knows that Jeff works for Dutch and according to CWA rules, Dutch is responsible for the actions of his employees.  Dutch tries to protest but Eddie simple walks away.

Lance:  I’m just so ashmed to call you my partner.  Have you ever tried to something on the up and up.  Time for you to go to the ring and I don’t mind saying so that I hope Superstar gets his pound of flesh. 

Main Event Match

Bull Whip Match

“Dirty” Dutch Mantell vs Superstar Bill Dundee

Let’s just say that the fans got just what they wanted.  After a few minutes of back and forth action, Dundee was able to climb the pole and grab old Shoo Baby and get in two or 3 good whips as Dutch ran to the locker room.  The fans, along with even Lance Russell joined in with the ref as he completed his 10-count.

Lance Russell:  Well all’s well that ends well folks.  Dutch caused my a lot of nausea over the past hour but he got what’s coming to him.  Remember fans, if you are anywhere near Memphis next week come on over and join us at the Mid-South Coliseum.  It is going to be one dandy of a show.  Until next time, bye, bye everybody.

As the show ends, we get one last promo for the Mid-South Coliseum.

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

MID-SOUTH COLISEUM

JUNE 19, 1988

Jeff Jarrett vs Norman Smiley

Dirty White Boy with Ron Wright vs Jimmy Del Ray

“The Franchise” Shane Douglas vs Big Money Marcus

Terry Gordy vs Shaska Whatley

Exotic Adrian Street with Miss. Linda vs Rip Rogers with Terri Powers

Tag Team Match

(Dutch & Gaylord must win to be entered into the Southern Tag Team Tournament)  

The Lightening Express (Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner) vs “Dirty” Dutch Mantel & Jeff Gaylord

Winners are the #1 Seed in the Southern Tag Team Tournament

“Superstar” Bill Dundee & “The Fab One” Steve Keirn vs Boris Zhukov & Soldat Ustinov

Return Bout for the Southern Heavyweight Title

“The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel © vs “The Rebel” Dick Slater

The Russians definitely look ready for the tag title tournament.

Ron Wright finally produces his team. Nobody's seen'em before, no idea of how good they are but he has a team.

Rogers & Powers are determined to prove they are the hottest duo in wrestling.

Landel sends a message to Slater, who may be too focused on Rich for his own good.

Dutch & Gaylord can't get away with nothing and I love them for it.

After a particularly frustrating episode, Dutch takes a whipping to the delight of the crowd.

Stacked card for the Mid-South Coliseum.

The Russians look tuned up and ready for the tournament.

Well, I'm hoping Jarrett allows Wright's Devils into the tournament. If Wright says they're legit, good enough for me. 

If Memphis is looking to attract male viewers, then Powers is definitely helping.

Landel is confident heading into his match with Slater. Then again, when isn't Budro confident? 

Rich finally surfaces and has some protection. Slater seems unfazed and gives Rich one last chance. I know Lance will be relieved when all this is over.

Dutch tries and tries and tries but somehow manages to always get caught. Well, maybe Jeff really was cleaning up the locker room to earn extra money to pay off Dutch's fines. 

Dundee getting a few licks on Dutch with Shoo Baby is a very fitting ending. 

Stampede has Whalen and Dr. D while Memphis has Lance and Dutch. LOL, great entertainment. 

If you tune in to see Dutch Mantell get his, you hit the jackpot with this week's TV. Dutch got fined not once but twice for a cool $1000 AND lost a match against Bill Dundee as well as took a couple of cracks from Shoo Baby. Throw in the fact that he isn't in the tag tournament yet, it's a bad day for Dutch.

June 19th show is looking good. Going to make the fans very happy. Good stuff here as always in Memphis.

I am driving through Memphis next week... I will give it a nod and wink for you.  Landel and Slater is a match that would be fun to relive. There two could obviously go and when Slater is pushed right like he was in 'Mid South he's got a lot of potential.  You've split this talent pool pretty well... Memphis is going to have to work harder to be bigger but they have ssome of the right pieces to do it.

KJiu4Km.png

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

MID-SOUTH COLISEUM

JUNE 19, 1988

Let’s just say Memphis Wrestling is back.  The Mid-South Coliseum is packed… from the old lady in the front row to the men wanting a closer look at Terri Powers to the families just trying to find some affordable entertainment on a Monday in Memphis. 

Kk98a3j.png 

Jeff Jarrett defeats Norman Smiley by submission with the Figure Four Leglock.  The match starts and ends with a handshake.

Dirty White Boy with Ron Wright defeats Jimmy Del Ray with the Bucksnort Blaster.

“The Franchise” Shane Douglas defeats Big Money Marcus with the Belly to Belly Suplex.

Terry Gordy defeats Shaska Whatley with the Piledriver.

Exotic Adrian Street with Miss. Linda defeat Rip Rogers with Terri Powers in a chaotic finish.  It looked like Rip had pulled an illegal object out of his trunks while Terry was arguing with the ref.  Exotic Adrian was tangled in the ropes as Rip approached.  Miss. Linda did a little quick thinking and jumped up on the apron and sprayed Rip in the eyes with her perfume and then she quickly untangled Adrian.  Terri saw this and chased Miss. Linda up the ramp while Adrian locked in the sleeper on Rip.  Eventually, Rip was out and the Exotic One got the win!

Tag Team Match

(Dutch & Gaylord must win to be entered into the Southern Tag Team Tournament)

The Lightening Express (Brad Armstrong & Tim Horner) vs “Dirty” Dutch Mantel & Jeff Gaylord saw “Dirty” Dutch try every trick in the book but come up short as he did not see a tag between The Lightening Express which allowed Brad to come up from behind and get the roll up for the pin.  This had Dutch so made he went right for Shoo Baby and was cracking that whip all around The Express but Horner and Armstrong avoided the attack and headed back to the locker room as the crowd cheered.

Winners are the #1 Seed in the Southern Tag Team Tournament

“Superstar” Bill Dundee & “The Fab One” Steve Keirn defeated Boris Zhukov & Soldat Ustinov in your classic good vs evil match.  Keirn did a great job of playing the face in peril.  Eventually he made his daring escape by clocking Ustinov and then rolling to safety.  Even with his diminutive size, there was no holding back Dundee who takes care of both Russians until Keirn has healed enough to continue the fight.  The end sees Dundee come off the middle rope ala Jerry Lawler with the fist drop on Zhukov and finishes him off with the pildedriver for the win.  The crowd exploded as Dundee and Keirn are announced as the #1 seed in next month’s Southern Tag Team Title.

Return Bout for the Southern Heavyweight Title

“The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel © vs “The Rebel” Dick Slater ends in a wild shocker!  Slater, who had turned this bout into a brawl from the opening bell had Landel up against the ropes and was just pummeling him.  The fans were loving every minute of it and were actually counting the number of big right hands that Slater was hitting the champ with.  1…2…3…4….5. 

Eventually, Landel violently rakes the eyes of Slater and Slater stumbles back to the opposite corner to try and regain his vision.  The ref moves in and admonishes Landel for the move.

The fans are irate at Landel.  They seem to forget the punches thrown by Slater and only want to focus on the wrongs of the Nature Boy.  The kids are throwing their arms up in disgust.  Mothers are booing the champ.  That old lady in the front row is up and screaming at Landel.  She is actually so angry she leaves her seat and heads to the ring.  She first gets to the corner where Slater is as she is pointing at Landel.

WHAM… from inside here granny dress she just clobber DICK SLATER with a frying pan!

Landel sees this and rushes over and covers Slater. 

1…2…3!  Landel has won the match.  The old lady, quickly takes off her wig and granny dress to reveal that the old lady is Tommy “Wildfire” Rich!

rZm87c1.png

The crowd explodes and starts throwing things at Rich!

Next, that huge black man who we saw outside of Wildfire’s house is rushing down one of the aisles in Mid-South Coliseum and is headed for Tommy Rich.  This must be one of the guys Dick Slater has hired to get Tommy Rich.

cxJzmia.png

Rich sees the man coming and it is like he has seen the Angel of Death.  He takes off from the rung and is running for his life.  The fans continue to pelt him with debris, but he could care less!  He is getting to safety and Dick Slater has lost the match.  All is well in Tommy’s world… for now anyway. 

Double J taps out Smiley in a friendly opener.

I'm sure Mr Wright was pleased as could be seeing his Christian wrestler ko the Gigelo.

The Franchise proves he's worth Big Money.

Gordy spikes Shaska.

Miss Linda gets her man out of a tight spot. I just hope she got away from Powers.

That makes two title tournaments Dutch isn't a part of. Can't blame the Express for bailing.

The Superstar & The Fab One -The Fabulous Superstars?- claim the #1 seed.

The picture of Budro retaining thanks to an old lady is priceless. Also liked the dig at the crowd for the double standard. And then it turns out the old lady was Tommy Rich in disguise! Plus the reveal that Slater hired Mr Hughes, no wonder Tommy's running scared.

Solid showcases to get this rock'n Mid South crowd going. Jarrett, DWB, Douglas and Gordy all got to show off their finishers. 

Linda gets chased after out heeling Powers. But hey, Street got to put Rogers to sleep. I'm sure the fans loved that.

Well, Dutch tried everything but the Lightning Express prevail. I'm sure Dutch will be in a great mood next TV. 

Memphis might not have Lawler, but Dundee and Keirn are holding down the fort. 

The main event was Memphis at its best. The classic Tommy Rich we all love in this game is back in a big way! The old lady swerve was great. Also, how great was it seeing Big Cat show up? Landel will get a rub from this and that will show in his next promo. Slater will be out for Rich's blood! This is going to be one epic summer feud! 

• 2 weeks later...

KJiu4Km.png

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING ASSOCIATION:  EPISODE #16:  June 24, 1988

(As the show starts, with see Lance Russell and Dutch Mantell and Jeff Gaylord, Dutch Mantell’s bodyguard)  

khSRua6.png

Lance Russell:  Yeeellow Everybody.  Lance Rusell alongside Dirty Dutch Mantell.  Fans, welcome to another great edition of championship wrestling.  This is professional wrestling like it used to be and the way you like it.  Before we get to tonight’s show, we must talk about the great event this past Monday night at the Mid-South Coliseum. 

NX8vPS1.png

Dutch:  Great?  Speak for yourself.  This past Monday was just another example of the miscarriage of justice that Jerry Jarrett allows here in Championship Wrestling. 

Lance:  On come on now Dutch.  Your just upset that you and Jeff Gaylord lost to the Lightening Express and now you aren’t a part of the tournament to crown the new Southern Tag Team Champions.

Dutch:  Lost?  The only way I’d ever lose to those two pretty boys, Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner is if they cheated and that’s exactly what they did.  Armstrong grabbed a hold of my trunks!

Lance:  Well, we’ll just have to agree to disagree but what I really wanted to talk about was Tommy Rich coming out in a dress and distracting Dick Slater.  This might just have cost Slater the Southern Heavyweight Championship against Buddy Landel.

Dutch:  What did you expect Tommy to do?  I mean Dirty Dick Slater hired a hit me to take him out.  Tommy just wanted to come watch a great night of wrestling and he had to come in disguise.  Disgusting.

Lance:  Well you got a point there Dutch.  That man that came after Tommy Monday night was some are

Dutch:  This is ridiculous.  Good people like Tommy Rich have to run for their lives here in Championship Wrestling but Dick Slater and his hired gun are allowed to run around here and literally break the law.  I wonder what Jerry Jarrett has to say about this.

Lance:  You can ask him  right now as Jerry is coming out with a few big pieces of information including some developments in the Dick Slater-Tommy Rich situation and the Southern Tag Team Tournament to be held in just a few weeks on July 17th at the Mid-South Coliseum.

Dutch:  Not sure I want to talk to Jarrett at all and I know I will be far from the Mid-South Coliseum of July 17th.  I don’t want to be anywhere near that farce of a tournament.  I mean I should just be handed the titles!

Lance:  Jerry, I can see I’m not getting anywhere with Dutch today maybe you can give it a shot. 

Jerry Jarrett:  Not sure I can do that but what we did do here in Championship Wrestling was realize that the situation between Dick Slater and Tommy Rich is getting out of hand.  Myself, Eddie Marling, other members of the board of directors of Championship Wrestling and members of the Tennessee Athletic Commission had a meeting with both Dick and Tommy this past Wednesday where we came to a few understandings.  First, Tommy Rich is now under contract here at Championship Wrestling. 

Dutch:  Well it’s about darn time.

Jerry Jarrett:  Second, now that Tommy Rich is under with us, and I am the match maker, I have guaranteed Dick that he will have a real match with Tommy Rich in the near future.  Since I guaranteed that this match will happen, Dick Slater has agreed to call off the bounty on Tommy Rich.  That means that the huge black man you saw coming after Tommy Rich last week in the Mid-South Coliseum won’t be doing that again. Also, since Tommy Rich has clearly interfered in the last two Southern Heavyweight Title matches between “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel and Dick Slater, I have scheduled a third match between these two wrestlers and this match is going to take place today… right here on TV!

Lance:  Oh my… what a main event that’ll be and now that Tommy is under contract, I’m sure Eddie Marlin has the power to fine him heavily if he interferes again.

Jerry Jarrett:  That’s right Lance.  Now, on to the Southern Tag Team Tournament on July 17th.  We already have 5 teams in the tournament.  The #1 seeds, “Superstar” Bill Dundee and “The Fab One” Steve Keirn, “The Russians” Boris Zhukov and Soldat Ustinov, “The Lightening Express” Tim Horner and Brad Armstrong, The Assassins and the team from Japan which I’ll have more information on next week.  Now folks, this had been the week of meetings let me tell you.  I also met with Ernie Ladd, President of Mid-South Wrestling and Ted Turner, the CEO of Superstation 17.  As you know both Championship Wrestling from Memphis and Mid-South Wrestling are shown on Superstation 17 and we have worked out an agreement to share talent from time to time.  So, the 6th tag team in the tournament will be whoever is the Mid-South Tag Team Champions as of July 17th.  Right now, that is the devastating tag team of the Barbarians managed by Sheik Adnan Al Kassie but the Barbarians do have a huge match in the Superdome on July 4th against the Texas Outlaws, Dick Murdoch and Stan Hansen.

Lance:  Wow… the two biggest Southern Wrestling Promotions coming together.  This is going to be huge for the sport of wrestling. 

Jerry Jarrett:  That’s for sure Lance.  Now one person who might not be too happy about how the tournament is shaping up is Ron Wright.  I know that he thinks his team, Devil’s Duo, should be in but I have actually never seen them wrestle.  So today, Ron, this is your one and only chance for Devil’s Duo to be in the tournament.  I have set up a match for them on this show against The Lightening Express.  If they win, they’re in.  If they lose, they’re out.  Now Ron, I know you’re back there and I don’t need you wheeling out here now with all kinds of excuses.  This is your one shot!

Lance:  Jerry, that is why Championship Wrestling is the very best.  Two great matches for us today. 

Jerry Jarrett:  That’s not all.  Terry Gordy will also be in action against the big Russin, Soldat Ustinov and Rip Rogers and his valet will be in action against Jimmy Del Ray.

Lance:  This is going to be some show.  Dutch, what do you think.  You’ve been very quiet. 

Dutch:  Oh no you want my opinion.  Let’s just get to the ring. 

MATCH #1

“Freebird” Terry Gordy defeats Soldat Ustinov with a running powerslam

After the match, Gordy gives another promo about how he is waiting for a Southern Heavyweight Title match and that everybody knows that they’re aint a man alive that can beat him one on one. 

kqxdzWy.png

A quick promo from Superstar Bill Dundee and The Fab One Steve Keirn follows to hype up the upcoming Southern Tag Team Tournament and about how they are the #1 seed. 

X84afg5.png     uH2Z1EQ.png

When we come out of break, Ron Wright is at the podium with two wrestler’s, presumable Devil’s Duo. 

zb8rg0u.png

Lance:  Well it seems that Jerry Jarrett has given you an ultimatum.  Devil’s Duo faces The Lightening Express and if they win, they are in the Southern Tag Team Tournament.  

Ron Wright:  Now aint this just a crock of you know what.  I mean didn’t we just see the Lightening Express cheat their way to victory on Monday and keep the honorable Dutch Mantel and his bodyguard Jeff Gaylord out of the tournament.  I think the refs, Jerry Jarrett and the Lightening Express are all in cahoots around here. 

Dutch:  Finally, somebody who makes sense around here.

Lance:  And I’m guessing these two gentlemen are Devil’s Duo?

Dutch:  Well look who just woke up.  Of course they’re Devil’s Duo.  I mean how dumb are you Lance.

Lance:  Well how I’m supposed to know.  Last week they were out here in masks.  I’ve never seen them before.  As a matter of fact, I don’t think anyone in Memphis has ever seen them before.

4xmzHNb.png     uahRH8A.png

Ron Wright:  And that’s another thing.  Why do I, the honorable leader of the Christian Wrestler’s Association have to put my men in action before they are allowed in the tournament and allow everyone else to get a scout in on them.  I mean does anyone around here care if I ever get up outta this here chair and walk again.  I am in desperate need of some money. 

Dutch:  Speaking of money, how are the donations for the Ron Wright Fund going.  I know I sent in my money.

Ron Wright:  Well Dutch, you might be the only one.  Please people, sent in your $5 donations.  I really need to have these here surgeries on my hips and knees.  I’ve given my life to trying to cleanning up this sport of rasstlin.  The least you all could do here in the Bible Belt is send me, the leader of the Christian Wrestler’s Association. a few dollars.

Dutch:  I agree with you Ron.  Now good luck later tonight but I just want to warn you, the Lightening Express are two of the dirtiest wrestlers in the game.  Be careful!

Lance:  Oh brother.  I can’t listen to this anymore.  Let’s get back to the ring. 

MATCH #2

Southern Heavyweight Title Match

“The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel © vs “The Rebel” Dick Slater

This match has the champion in a lot of trouble.  No matter how dirty Landel wants to be, Slater is dirtier.  Landel seems to be one step behind Slater for most of the match and when Slater sets up Landel for the piledriver, Lance Russell seems convinced we are about to have a new champion.

Wham… from behind.  It’s Tommy Rich with a big right hand to the back of Slater’s head.

Lance:  Here we go again.  Tommy Rich has ruined another title shot for Dick Slater.  The ref is calling for the bell.  By golly when will it end. 

Tommy Rich and Buddy Landel work over Slater for a minute before a frustrated Lance brings us to break. 

When we come out of break a fuming Jerry Jarrett is back out with Lance.  He quickly announces that Tommy Rich has been fined $500 and suspended for a week without pay.  Lance and the crowd seem to like this but Dick Slater rushes out and he is white hot!

Dick Slater:  Jarrett, you told me this week that you had this under control.  You told me that Tommy Rich would no longer be a problem.  You told me to call of the hired guns.  You told me to send Mr. Hughes home and to end my bounty.  Well look where that got me.  The same result.  A third title match and a third DQ because of Tommy Rich.

Jerry Jarrett:  Dick, I truly am sorry.  This time though, because he is now under contract here at Championship Wrestling, he has been fined and suspended.

Dick Slater:  Fined?  You fined a former world champion $500.  What do you think $500 means to Tommy Rich.  Nothing!

Jerry Jarrett:  You do have a point.  I can also give you another title shot against Mr. Landel.

Dick Slater:  For Tommy to just interfere in another match.  I want Tommy Rich and Buddy Landel in the ring together, at the same time against me and a partner of my choosing.  This way, we can take care of both Landel and Tommy Rich at the same time.  And I want that match, right here on TV next week!

Jerry Jarrett: I can make that match happen, but it will have to be in two weeks as Tommy is suspended for next week’s show. 

Dick Slater:  Deal!  And next week, I will bring in my tag team partner.  Landel…. Rich…. Be very afraid!

Match #3

The Devil’s Duo with Ron Wright vs The Lightening Express

If Devil’s Duo wins, they earn a spot in the Southern Tag Team Tournament.

bDAvY7w.png?1

Throughout the match, Lance Russell has no choice but to give Devil’s Duo some credit as they are more than holding their own against the highly touted Lightening Express.  Just as it seemed like the Express were ready to take over, the Dirty White Boy comes down to the ring and starts screaming at Brad Armstrong who looked set to hit the Russian Legsweep on Devil #1.  Brad heads over to the ropes and has words with DWB.

6nN3noX.png

This gives Devil #1 time to pull out the mask that he was wearing last week which was hidden in his trunks.  Devil #1 loads that mask with some sort of bulky metal object.  The crowd is screaming to both Brad and the ref about what is going on behind them.  Brad begins to refocus and turns back to the action.  The ref is still having words with DWB.

WHAM… Devil #1 used the loaded mask like a hammer and nailed Brad Armstrong!  Brad went down like a sack of potatoes and #1 quickly covered Brad for the win. 

While Dutch is hyping Devil’s Duo, Lance is muttering that he should have known that Ron Wright would find a way around the rules. 

Interesting things here was that The Bullet, Bob Armstrong rushed out and had some serious words for DWB. 

After the bout, Rip Rogers and Teri come to the podium and brag about how they chased Exotic Adrian Street and Ms. Linda away in just a matter of weeks. 

Rip goes on to explain that the last time he saw Ms. Linda she was running out of Mid-South Coliseum so fast, she might have broken an Olympic record.  Dutch reminded Lance that Ms. Linda was running so fast because Teri was chasing.  Rip smirks and asks Teri to hit a bicep pose to remind Ms. Linda what will happen if they are come back.

pmj3YNr.png

Lance:  Alright everyone.  You’ve had your fun.  Need I remind you that it was Exotic Adrian Street who beat you with the sleeper hold in Mid-South Coliseum last week.  You’re acting like it was the other way around.

Rip Rogers:  Lance… I admit I lost a little focus last week.  I mean, heck, who wouldn’t.  I was watching the most gorgeous woman in the world, Teri, running around Mid-South Coliseum trying to protect me after Ms. Linda sprayed some rat poison at me during the match.

Lance:  Well, I do believe it was perfume and not rat poison, but you do have a point about people watching Teri in action.  Anyhow, I do want to inform you that Adrian and Ms. Linda are still with Championship Wrestling but have to be out of town this week as they have official business with the Queen of England.  They have sent you a short video clip in case you’ve missed them too much. 

Video Clip:

Exotic Adrian:  (with his hair in 3 different ponytails and the flag of Great Britain painted on his forehead)  Oh Rip, I am so happy you woke up from your peaceful slumber.  Please give that she-man with all the muscles who follows you to the ring my best.  Sorry we couldn’t be their today but I’m the Exotic One from Great Britain and when you are as unique as me, people want to see me and that includes the Queen of England.  Now I know that you wish I was out of wrestling instead of in England but don’t you worry.  I will be back soon.  I will not forget that you tried to injure me with some sort of metal object.  When I’m finished with you and that fleabag security guard of yours … you both might find yourselves out of wrestling.

Lance:  What do you think about that Rip.

Teri (taking over the interview):  I think Exotic Adrian and Miss Linda are nothing more then two cowardly little girls in hiding.  There are as likely to be with the Queen England as Rip and I would be cleaning out a pig pen with the rest of the ugly people here in Tennessee.  If and when they come back, we’ll prove that we are not only the hotter couple but the tougher couple.

Match #4

TV TIME REMAINING

Jeff Jarrett defeats Trent Knight with the Figure Four

Lance Russell:  Folks, we are just about out of time.  Make sure to tune in next week where we will find out who Dick Slater’s partner will be when he squares off against “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel and “Wildfire” Tommy Rich.  Also, this just handed to me a minute ago.  Our main event next week will be Devil’s Duo with The Dirty White Boy in 6 Man Tag team action against the Lightening Express and “The Bullet” Bob Armstrong.  That’ll be one dandy of a show.  Bye bye for now everybody.

Rich is finally on the payroll and Slater finally gets his match with Tommy. Plus the tag title tournament gets inter-promotional as the Mid-South Tag Team Champions are awarded a spot.

Gordy with a win over the big Russian definitely puts him in title contention.

Leave it to Tommy to get suspended his first night on the job! Next week he & Budro take on Slater and a mystery man.

After weeks of jumping through hoops, Mr Ron Wright finally has his boys in the tag title tournament, albiet with a little help from DWB. Next week the entire CWA answers to the Lightning Express and The Bullet himself, Bob Armstrong.

Gotta be honest, after such a loaded episode Jeff's main event feels a little underwhelming.

Tommy Rich being on the payroll does change up things a little bit though I doubt it will keep him from interfering and attacking Dirty Dick. Looking forward to the tag match in two weeks. Should be a real slobberknocker.

Rogers/Street continues on it's path. With Teri in Rip's corner, it is hard to see Street as the face here.

Just throwing this out there ... IF ... you need additional teams for the tag tournament, "the other" promotion in our neck of the woods would be more than happy to send their champions.

It's official, Tommy Rich has been signed! I hope Jarrett is ready. 

The tournament is really shaping up and now we have the Mid South boys coming in. Things are getting very interesting. 

Budro's dealing with Slater right now, but he better not forget about Gordy. 

Wright gets his one and only chance. Cool seeing the Devil's Dup pop up. 

Only Tommy Rich can get fined and suspended before even having an official match. Well, Slater gets his wish and I can't imagine who he's bringing in as a partner. BTW, I love Rich and Budro working together. 

Thanks to DWB and a loaded mask, Wright's dream comes true. However, they have to deal with Bullet next week. 

We get a nice set of promos from Rogers and Street. I see a mix tag match in the future. Street might have the edge over Rogers but Terri definitely has the advantage over Linda. 

Jeff gets to close things out. I wonder if Jerry had something to do with that. 

Memphis is so entertaining.