Pro Wrestling Only

Memphis Wrestling

kevinmcfl

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING ASSOCIATION:  EPISODE #17:  July 1, 1988

The traditional CWA opening is played with some music being played as we see all the big stars of Memphis past hitting big moves.  One exception is there is no Jerry “The King” Lawler in the intro. 

(As the show starts, with see Lance Russell and Dutch Mantell without Jeff Gaylord, Dutch Mantell’s bodyguard)  

khSRua6.png

Lance Russell:  Yeeellow Everybody.  Lance Rusell alongside Dirty Dutch Mantell.  Fans, welcome to another great edition of championship wrestling.  This is professional wrestling like it used to be and the way you like it.  I’m Lance Russell and alongside me as always is the Dirty Dutchman, Dutch Mantell.  Dutch we are just over two weeks away from the big tournament, Monday June 17th at the Mid-South Coliseum to crown the new Southern Tag Team Champions!    

NKurD3M.png

Dutch:  You mean the night Jerry Jarrett and the corrupt refs here in Championship Wrestling have already decided the outcome for. 

Lance:  On come on now Dutch.  Has a week done nothing to change your spirits?  You’re as grumpy as you were last week.  Hey, Dutch, I noticed your bodyguard is not here this week.

Dutch:  Really… you’re smart enough to notice that a 6’5, 275 pound freak of nature is not here.  That’s  great awareness from you.

Lance:   Okay, you don’t have to be such a smart Alec. 

Dutch:  Well if you have to know the truth Lance, Jeff just didn’t measure up to what I needed.  He has not stopped the likes of Steve Kerin and Superstar Bill Dumbdee from getting to me.  He hasn’t helped me get into the title tournaments that I should be in and most of all, he hasn’t won any matches for me.

Lance:  Well, I thought you might want him around for your match today. 

Dutch:  Match?  I don’t have a match today. 

Lance:  That’s not what this card says.  It says you are wrestling today against “The Franchise” Shane Douglas. 

Dutch:  Huh?  No way!  I’m not wrestling that psycho today or any day.  Where’s Jerry Jarrett.  I’m going to find him right now.

Lance:  Well he’s off again.  I guess I’m riding solo for now.  Folks, you just heard about one of our matches today but I’ll tell you what.  This is going to be a great hour.  We’ve got the Canadian Wildman back with us as “The Lumberjack” Jos Leduc is taking on Trent Knight.  If you’ve never seen Jos Leduc in action before, be ready for the carnage….  Hide the woman and children if you will.  The Assassins will be taking on Sweet Brown Sugar and Jimmy Ray.  The Exotic One, Adrian Street is back from visiting the Queen of England and he will be facing Larry Cheatum.  We will hear from “The Rebel” Dick Slater.  The Southern Heavyweight Champion, “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel will be here.  Jerry Jarrett will be here with an update on the our next Mid-South Coliseum event coming up on July 17th and let’s not forget today’s big main event, The Lightening Express and “The Bullet” Bob Armstrong will square off against all of Ron Wright’s men, The Devils Duo and the Dirty White Boy.  Let’s get to the ring for our first match.

MATCH #1

“The Lumberjack” Jos Leduc utterly destroys Trent Knight by beating him from pillar to post.  Leduc finally puts him out of his misery by ending the bout with a bearhug where he again shook Knight around like a rag doll. 

After the match, Dick Slater comes offer to the podium. 

cNMm6T4.png?1

Lance Russell:  Well Dick, that first match was pretty impressive with the return of Jos Leduc.

Dick Slater:  Jos Leduc is one of the toughest wrestlers I’ve ever been in the ring with. Trent Knight is just lucky Leduc was in a good mood tonight.

Lance:  Now, I believe that you are out here now to reveal your tag team partner for your big match next week against “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel and “Wildfire” Tommy Rich.

Dick Slater:  I’ve been thinking about that all week.  I need someone tough.  I need someone nasty.  I need someone that doesn’t mind getting down and dirty.  I’ve been in this business a long time and not too many people can do what I need done against those two weasels next week.  But there is one… my old tag team partner down in Florida where we held the Florida tag team titles on many occasions…

Suddenly Jos Leduc is over at the podium with one of the nastiest snarls on his face that you’ve ever seen. 

Lance:  Now Mr. Leduc.  I don’t have you scheduled right now and we don’t want any trouble out here.

Leduc gets right in the face of Lance Russell and winds up to throw a punch.  Russell cowers behind his microphone.  Leduc stops the punch, breaks into a smile, and hugs Dick Slater.

Dick Slater:  Lance, meet my partner for next week… Jos Leduc.

lgPIrwL.png

Jos Leduc: (In his French accent with his wild eyes)  Ya know I’ve wrestled all of the United States and Canada and I have not met many people I trust… but this man to my right… Dick Slater is one of them.  When he says something, it’s the truth.  When he says someone cheated him outta someting, he’s telling the truth.  When he says he needs my help, I make sure I’m there.  Wherever I go, the other wrestlers say you gotta get Jos Leduc out of here.  He’s crazy.  He’s going to kill someone.  Well guess what? … They got that right.  I am crazy.  I am going to kill someone, and it might just be you Tommy Rich or it might just be you Buddy Landel… and it might just be next week right here in TV.

As Slater and Leduc walk off together, Lance seems a little unsettled by Leduc.

Lance:  Not sure about all of you, but I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing up.  Let’s take a break.

Commercials + Promos for upcoming events in Memphis, Evansville, Louisville and Nashville

When we come out of break, Jerry Jarrett is with Lance Russell.    

Lance:  Jerry, I’m sorry to have riled up Dutch so early in the show.  I’m guessing he found you and complained about his match today against the Franchise Shane Douglas. 

Zpz6BJr.png

Jerry:  That he did Lance, but I’ll tell you what I told him.  I’m the matchmaker and if he wants to be a wrestler here in Championship Wrestling, he will wrestle who I say and when I say.  I’m here to give the fans what they want.    

Lance:  I bet he’s mad he fired his bodyguard this week.

Jerry:  Not sure I have any sympathy for old Dirty Dutch.  Now what I want to get into is the Southern Tag Team Tournament coming up at the Mid-South Coliseum on July 17th.  Most of the spots have been filled.  So far, we have The Lightening Express, Boris Zhukov & Soldat Ustinov, The new Mid-South tag team champions, Dick Murdoch & Stan Hansen, Devil’s Duo, The Assassins, Superstar Bill Dundee and Steve Keirn.

Lance:  And let’s not forget the team from Japan.

Jerry Jarrett:  Yes, and that team is going to be very familiar to many people around the U.S. as both these men have wrestled a lot in America over the last few years… Kendo Nagasaki and Mr. Pogo.

Lance:  Folks, we have a short video clip on Mr. Nagasaki and Mr. Pogo. 

Video Clip of the two Japanese wrestlers show two men with face paint beating their various opponents with all kinds of martial arts.  And when that was not enough, we see them cracking their kendo sticks across the backs and even the skulls of their opponents.  Finally, if that wasn’t enough, the Green Mist is sprayed into the eyes of their opponents.

Lance:  Oh my Jerry.  Not sure I saw a lot of what one would say are legal wrestling moves in that clip.

Jerry:  Eddie Marlin and myself have already warned them about what we expect in this tournament.  Make no mistake about it… those two are very dangerous but also very good. 

Lance:  Well by my count, that makes 7 teams.  Who is the 8th team going to be.

Jerry:  To me, this is very exciting for our fans who watch us at home every week.  The last spot in the tournament will go to the winners of next week’s main event… Dick Slater and Jos Leduc vs Tommy Rich and Buddy Landel. 

Lance Russell:  Wow… what a tournament this is going to be.  Oh heck, I could see any one of those teams winning this thing.  Let’s get back to the ring. 

MATCH #2

The Assassins defeat Sweet Brown Sugar & Jimmy Del Ray after the Assassins had a little illegal switch and the fresh Assassin caught Jimmy Del Ray with a piledriver for the win. 

aagr4Rs.png

After the bout, the Southern Heavyweight Champion, “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel is at the podium where Lance focuses on his main event tag team match next week where him and his currently suspended partner, Tommy Rich) will face Dick Slater and Jos Leduc. 

Buddy Landel:   (with his Southern Heavyweight title tossed over his shoulder)Well a lot of people sit back and wonder what it’s like to be at the top of professional wrestling.  Let me just tell you this… The Nature Boy Buddy Landel has already been to the top and I’m still at the top right now.  I’m the Southern Heavyweight Champion and now Jerry Jarrett has just given myself and another former World Champion, “Wildfire” Tommy Rich, an opportunity to become the Southern Tag Team Champions.  All that stands between myself and being a double champion is a crossed-eyed Canadian drunk and a man that has lost to me three times in a row.  Jos Leduc… You’re no Buddy Landel.  Dick Slater… You’re no Tommy Rich.  Jerry Jarrett… I can’t wait to see the look on your face when you hand me and Tommy Rich the Southern Tag Team Titles!    

Commercials + Promos for upcoming events in Memphis, Evansville, Louisville and Nashville

Before our next bout, Exotic Adrian Street and Miss. Linda are at the podium.

pUNzmz7.png

Exotic Adrian: I heard Rip Van Winkle, I mean Rogers was out here last week wondering where I was.  I mean I told that old sleepy head I was going to see the Queen but I guess he forgot as I had his dreadful head locked in the sleeper and he was going nighty night in the middle of the Mid-South Coliseum.  Well Rip, the beautiful people are back and anytime you want me to tuck you into bed again, come find me.  It could be fun.  And bring that Miss. Terri with you.  She needs a good spanking for what she did to Miss. Linda last time.  Oh this all sounds so entertaining.

Both Adrian and Miss. Linda tip toe their way to the ring with Street flaunting his golden locks tied up in pick bows while Miss. Linda is continuously spraying him with perfume. 

Match #3

Exotic Adrian Street with Miss Linda defeats Larry Cheatum with the sleeper

After the match, Terry Gordy is at the podium where he hopes there is something left of Buddy Landel after next week as he knows there’s not a man alive that can defeat the Freebird one on one and he is looking forward to being the next Southern Heavyweight Champion. 

bDAvY7w.png?1

Before our next match, the Lightening Express and Bob Armstrong are at the podium hyping up today’s main event against Devil’s Duo and The Dirty White Boy.  Brad and Tim Horner are still upset at how the Dirty White Boy interfered in the tag match last week costing them the victory against the Devil’s Duo.  Bob Armstrong admits that it’s hard to watch your son being attacked and what he is going to do to the Dirty White Boy today. 

Match #4

“The Franchise” Shane Douglas vs “Dirty” Dutch Mantell

The Franchise has been waiting months to get his hands on Dutch and now is a great opportunity as Mantell just got rid of his bodyguard.  Dutch does his best to play the frightened heel at the beginning.  He is stalling, hiding, and going in and out of the ring.  When the match finally does get started, Douglas opens on top as he is trying to take out months of frustration.  In the next phase, Dutch is dirty enough to gain the momentum and does a pretty good job of working over Douglas.  Shane eventually starts the comeback when…

Lance Russell:  Bye golly gee. What’s is!  Here comes that huge black man we last saw working for Dick Slater.  It’s Mr. Hughes. 

cxJzmia.png

From behind, Mr. Hughes just levels The Franchise.  From there it is big elbow drop after elbow drop.  Mantell is up and shouting instructions for the destruction of Douglas.  Eventually, referees and jobbers rush the ring to stop the carnage.

Dutch Mantell and Mr. Hughes head over to Lance Russell:

Lance:  What in tarnation was that Dutch?

Dutch:  I might have been born at night Lance but it wasn’t last night.  I knew that Snake in the Grass, Jerry Jarrett would put me in a match against that lunatic Shane Douglas as soon as I mentioned Jeff Gaylord was no longer working for me.  He tried to set me up but you can’t outsmart ol’ Dutch.  I was one step ahead of him.  I saw what Mr. Hughes was capable.  I mean he had my good friend Tommy Rich running for his life.  Now, Mr. Hughes works for me.

Suddenly, Championship Wrestling General Manager, Eddie Marlin, comes out and is fuming about what Dutch just did.  He quickly fines Dutch $500 for what he calls a set up and that championship wrestling cannot have the integrity of their matches questioned.

Dutch simply says this is the best $500 he spent.

MkxcT8A.png?1

Before our next match, Ron Wright, wheelchair and all, comes to the podium with The Devils Duo and the Dirty White Boy. He is really upset that the Lightening Express and Bob Armstrong would question the integrity of the Christian Wrestler’s Association and that The Dirty White Boy only got involved in last week’s match after Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner continued to use questionable tactics.  Ron Wright finished by again asking for donations so he could get his knees and hips fixed.  When Lance has finally had enough, he sends them to the ring for the main event. 

MAIN EVENT MATCH

The Lightening Express & Bob Armstrong vs Devil’s Duo & The Dirty White Boy with Ron Wright

Everyone gets a little time to shine in this 6-man bout before another crazy finish.  The action had gone bonzo-gonzo with all 6 men in the ring.  Ron Wright sees this as his opportunity to help his team as he wheels himself over his team’s corner.  It looks like he is about to hand the chisel to the Dirty White Boy but instead he is surrounded by Superstar Dundee and The Fab One Steve Keirn.  They simple turn his wheelchair around and push his toward the locker room.  Lance Russell couldn’t help but laugh as Ron’s arms and head were flailing around as he wheelchair was out of control and easily over the speed limit.

WHAM… Georgia Jawbreaker by The Bullett on the Dirty White Boy for the win!

tHEvPU9.png

Lance:  Now that’s what I call justice.  Folks, time flies when you’re having fun and it looks like we are just about done for this hour.  Make sure to tune in next time as it will be “The Rebel” Dick Slater and “The Canadian Lumberjack” Jos Leduc taking on “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel and “Wildfire” Tommy Rich with the last spot in the Southern Tag Team Tournament on the line.  Bye Bye ya’ll.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kendo Nagasaki and Mr Pogo are together again! Western States fans know just how dangerous these two can be.

Jos Leduc is back in Memphis where he belongs.... and is teaming with Dick Slater?! On top of that, the winners of next week's main event get the final slot in the Tag Title tournament.

Speaking of which, don't overlook The Assassins.

Street is back across the pond and looking for Rip Van Wink...er Rogers.

Dutch trades in Jeff Gaylord for Mr Hughes. I call it an upgrade myself.

The Bullet scores himself some payback on the Christians.

What's up Mr. Hughes? Always was a fan of his. Bullet Bob is also a fun guy at this point to work around and I just look at this... " “The Rebel” Dick Slater and “The Canadian Lumberjack” Jos Leduc taking on “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel and “Wildfire” Tommy Rich" What a main event to look forward to. Memphis is alive and well.

Damn, Slater knows how to pick em. Next week will be nuts! 

The tag tournament is officially set. Lance is right, I can see any of these teams walking out with gold. Can't wait to see the match ups. 

Landel has a lot on his plate. He's the champ. Him and Rich have a shot at the tournament but have to get through Slater and LeDuc. And he's got Gordy waiting for him. 

Street gets a nice segment. The guy does have a lot of charisma. 

Dutch does it again. I would say Hughes is a damn good upgrade. He's one bad dude and the Franchise is going to need help. 

Wild ending with Wright wheeling off and Bullet Bob gets the shine. 

You've got a lot of fun storylines going on and I can't wait for next week's TV. 

KJiu4Km.png

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

MID-SOUTH COLISEUM

JULY 17, 1988

A few notes before we get started on the Southern Tag Team Tournament.  First, on the last TV show, Dick Slater and Jos Leduc got a little revenge on “Nature Boy” Buddy Landel and “Wildfire” Tommy Rich as Dick Slater nailed Tommy Rich with a pair of brass knuckles and got the win.  This victory earned Slater and Leduc the last spot in tonight’s tournament.  As if this was not enough, the show closed with Jerry Jarrett announcing that sense Buddy Landel and Tommy Rich would not be in the tournament, then Buddy Landel should defend his Southern Title in the Mid-South Coliseum.  When Jarrett announced that this defense would be against “Freebird” Terry Gordy, the fans went nuts!  Let’s get to tonight’s action.

Jeff Jarrett defeats Roger Smith by submission with the Figure Four Leglock.  It seems Jerry Jarrett has to make sure that he continues the push of JJ. 

SOUTHERN TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:  ROUND #1

“Fab One” Steve Keirn & “Superstar” Bill Dundee defeated Kendo Nagasaki & Mr. Pogo when Keirn came in and caught Nagasaki with a super kick just before he sprayed Superstar with the green mist.  The kick turned Nagasaki around and he sprayed Mr. Pogo by accident.  Keirn quickly followed up with a cover for the win.

The Texas Outlaws (Dick Murdoch & Stan Hansen) defeated Boris Zhukov & Soldat Ustinov in a brutal match that saw Dick Murdoch finally able to connect with the Brainbuster on Ustinov.  The problem was that immediately after the match, The Nation of Domination (Butch Reed, Snowman and Kareem Muhammed) hit the ring and really went to work on the already battered Texas Outlaws.  Angry at the loss, Boris Zhukov had no problem joining in on the attack.  When all was said and done, Murdoch and Hansen were a bloody mess and were both helped to the back by the medical staff.  Their future in this tournament seems to be in jeopardy.

Jos Leduc & Dick Slater defeat The Devil’s Duo with Ron Wright in pretty convincing manner with the violent end coming when Dick Slater hit the piledriver of Devil #1.  Leduc nailed Devil #2, who was trying to make the save, so hard that he nearly flew into the first row. 

The Assassins defeated The Lightening Express when Assassin #1 distracted the ref allowing Assassin #2

to hit Tim Horner with a low blow.  Assassin #2 quickly followed this up with a big second rope leg drop for the win.  Those at the Mid-South Coliseum could be heard saying there was something different about this Assassin team.

SOUTHERN TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:  SEMI-FINALS

“Fab One” Steve Keirn & “Superstar” Bill Dundee are awarded the victory over The Texas Outlaws as Championship Wrestling medical staff refused to allow Murdoch and Hansen to wrestle stating significant blood loss from the attack by the Nation of Domination’s earlier attack.  It is said that Murdoch and Hansen destroyed the Mid-South Coliseum locker room when the were not allowed to wrestle.  It is unsure of they were angry at Championship Wrestling staff, the Nation of Domination or both.  Either way, “Fab One” Steve Keirn & “Superstar” Bill Dundee are headed to the finals.

The Assassins defeated Jos Leduc & Dick Slater when they pulled the old switch-a-roo.  It seemed liked Leduc had Assassin #2 right where he wanted him as he was beating him from pillar to post.  Assassin #2 was able to roll out of the ring and while the ref was trying to prevent Leduc from going out after him, Assassin #1 went over to “help” his partner.  Instead of Assassin #2 struggling to get back into the ring, it was Assassin #1 playing the injured heel.

WHAT… a simple roll up on Leduc, with a grab of the tights, and two feet on the ropes for added leverage and Assassin #1 shocked Leduc and everyone else in the Coliesum.  It will be the Assassins vs Dundee and Keirn in the finals.

SOUTHERN HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH:  “NATURE BOY” BUDDY LANDEL © VS TERRY GORDY

This match saw the Nature Boy try every questionable tactic there is in professional wrestling to survive this match but in the end, it might have been his antics over the past few months that cost him his title tonight as Dick Slater couldn’t help himself and came down to ringside.  It has been Tommy Rich and Nature Boy using any means necessary to stop slater from getting the Southern title.  Tonight, Slater decided that he was going to do anything in his power to make sure Landel didn’t walk out as Champion.  While Slater did not actually get involved, he did jump up on the apron a couple of times which distracted the Nature Boy. 

In the end, Terry Gordy caught Buddy Landel with a powerslam for the win.

SOUTHERN TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT: FINALS: SUPERSTAR DUNDEE & STEVE KEIRN VS THE ASSASSINS

Again, you can hear the crowd chatting about how something is different with the Assassins.  Now the Assassins don’t spend a lot of time here in Memphis, they are pretty well know and the crows can just sense that something isn’t right.  Maybe they just never thought the Assassins would make it this far or maybe there is something else.  Anyway, the crowd is completely behind the number 1 seeds, Superstar Bill Dundee and Fab One Steve Keirn.

As for the match, it is pretty even and at time hard to tell which team is the babyface and which team is the heel as both teams are content to make this a brawl.

In the end, we see Dundee doing a great job of playing the face in peril.  The ref is seemingly having a tough time telling which Assassin is the legal man in the ring.  They are often just switching without a tag and often taking 2-1 shots at Keirn.  Dundee has seen enough and rushes the ring only to be shoved back by the ref.  This allowed one last dirty deed by the Assassins as the both slip something out of their trunks and into their masks.

WHAM…. Double Loaded Headbutt on Keirn and he is out.

Assassin #1 with the cover.  The ref turns and sees the pin attempt.

1…

Here comes Dundee for the save.

2…

WHAM… Assassin #2 hits Dundee and prevents the save.

3….  The Assassins are the new Southern Tag Team Champions.

As the crowd boos, Jerry Jarret comes into the ring and hands the Assassins the Southern Tag Titles…

The crowd is fuming and tossing debris towards the ring as the Assassins are named as champions.

The Assassins take the belts, raise them into the sky and look at each other as they seem to nod in agreement.

The Assassins use their fingers to count to three.  1….2….3!

Oh my God… the Assassins have taken off their masks and your new Southern Tag Team Champions are

“Dirty” Dutch Mantell and “The Heartthrob” Austin Idol!

Jarrett with a solid win over the journeymen Smith.

Love the visual of Keirn kicking Kendo so hard he sprays Pogo.

The Outlaws beat the Russians but get beat down by the Nation!

Leduc and Slater blow past the Devil's Duo.

The Assassin's with a round one upset over the Lightning Express.

The Outlaws have a meltdown in the Lock room handing the win to The Fabulous Superstars.

The Assassin's are becoming the Cinderella story of the tag title tournament.

Thanks to Slater, Gordy captures the Southern Heavyweight Title.

WOW! The Assassin's defy all the odds to walk away with the gold. They then unmask to reveal Mantel and Idol! The Heartthrob has come home!

This is going to be a wild one, I can feel it.

Jerry makes sure to get Jeff on the big show. 

Great visual ending with Keirn taking advantage. 

Outlaws get the win, but oh man did they take a beating! I thought this was a cool move bringing the Mid South heat to Memphis.

LOL, after all his whining, Wright's Duo goes down in quick fashion to Slater and Leduc. 

The Assassins upset the Lightning Express but something seems fishy. 

Dundee and Keirn probably didn't advance the way they wanted to, but hey they're in the finals. It's going to be hell to pay for the Nation. 

Who would've thought the Assassins would be in the finals. After 2 upsets, they're in! However, something's off. 

WOW! Just like that, Landel's reign is over. Great way to add even more nuclear heat to the Slater, Rich, Landel saga. I can't wait for a Gordy title run! 

OK, did NOT see that coming! I really liked the way you built the Assassins suspicion story up throughout the night. I was expecting something, but not Dutch and the returning Idol! I loved writing for Idol, but he's home. 

Great show Kev! You have the gift of storytelling. 

Wow, didn't expect Gordy to dethrone Landel, this angle with Buddy Landel, Dick Slater, and Tommy Rich has been a fun ride so far!

I would have bet the farm that Keirn and Dundee were bringing home the gold and I never would have imagined that the Assassins would turn out to be Austin Idol and Dutch Mantell! I can't wait to hear the promo that follows this win on television!

"In the end, Terry Gordy caught Buddy Landel with a powerslam for the win." I love this because now Landel has an out and it keeps him okay. Gordy is an all pro... he caught a big move... now Landel can come back if he wants. Great way to push the tag titles in the main event... trying to do that over in WCW right now as well... a fresh mix can change things... for the better.

kiruADC.png

CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING ASSOCIATION:  EPISODE #20:  July 22, 1988

The traditional CWA opening is played with some music being played as we see all the big stars of Memphis past hitting big moves.  One exception is there is no Jerry “The King” Lawler in the intro. 

Before we get to the opening segment, Championship Wrestling opens to a montage from this past Monday night at the Mid-South Coliseum.  We see Terry Gordy hitting the powerslam on Nature Boy Buddy Landel for the pin and the ref handing the Southern Heavyweight Title to Gordy.  The next part of the video focuses on the Southern Tag Team Tournament where, at the end, we see Jerry Jarrett hand the Southern Tag Titles to The Assassins, only to have the Assassins take off their masks and reveal themselves as “Dirty” Dutch Mantel and “The Heartthrob” Austin Idol. 

(As the show starts, with see Lance Russell and Dutch Mantell with Austin Idol, and there with their new Southern Tag Team Titles draped over their shoulders.)    Mr. Hughes, Dutch’s bodyguard, is in the picture but he just stands with his arms folded, sunglasses on, looking as mean as possible. 

khSRua6.png

Lance Russell:  Yeeellow Everybody.  Fans, welcome to another edition of championship wrestling,  the world leader in professional wrestling.  This is professional wrestling like it used to be and the way you like it.  I’m Lance Russell and alongside me as always is the Dirty Dutchman, Dutch Mantell.  Dutch, what in the heck was that all about last Monday night at the Coliseum.  I mean I’ve seen you do some pretty sneaky things around here but that one takes the cake.        

Dutch:  Well another show… another insult.  I mean would it kill you to congratulate Autis Idol and myself on becoming the Southern Tag Team Champions. 

fHxQvDW.png

(You here a gasp from the fans who were not at the show this past Monday and didn’t know that Dutch and Austin Idol won the title) 

Lance:  Yea… I thought the Assassins won the tournament and so did Jerry Jarrett.  I’m sure he’ll have something to say about this.

Austin Idol:  So good to see you again also Lance.  I know you are thrilled to have the Universal Heartthrob back in Memphis.  I mean it took Dutch and I one day… that’s right just one day to rise to the top of the mountain … a place we plan on staying for a long, long time.  There isn’t a team around who can take these titles from us.  Now I’ve heard you say Jerry Jarrett will have something to say about Dutch and I winning these Southern Tag Titles.  Lance, I’m not sure that is even possible.  Did you see that imbecile Jerry Jarrett’s face when he handed us the titles and then we took off those Assassin masks?  I mean his jaw hit the floor so hard I’m sure he broke it in about 4 places.  I’m sure it’s wired shut by now.

Dutch:  Oh wouldn’t that be great.  A Jarrett with a wired jaw.

Lance:   You two are impossible.  I think his jaw is just fine and I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes those titles right back from you and awards them to Superstar Bill Dundee and “The Fab One” Steve Keirn. 

On cue, Dundee and Keirn come out to the applause of the crowd.  While Lance begs for some decorum, Dundee and Keirn don’t seem to care and get right in the face the Champs are yelling about how they stole the title.

uH2Z1EQ.png      wGhe3o1.png

Next to the scene is Jerry Jarrett who seems to agree with Dundee and Keirn and seems about to strip the titles from Dutch and Idol. 

Zpz6BJr.png

Dutch:  Hold on their just a minute Mr. President.  You did everything in your power to keep me out of this tournament.  I applied 3 times and you turned me down just out of spite.  Now Austin and myself win the tournament and you have the nerve to even think about handing our titles to a team we just beat. 

Jerry Jarrett:  Spite had nothing to do with it.  There were rules.  You needed to be a current tag team and send in footage for the Board of Directors to evaluate.  You never fulfilled these requirements.  That is the reason you were not allowed in the tournament. 

Dutch:  And did the midget and the girl with the blonde hair to my right fulfill these requirements. 

Jerry Jarrett:  If you are referring to Superstar Bill Dundee and Steve Keirn…. No, they did not fulfill all of the requirements as they were not currently wrestling together but they were given an exception as they were past Southern Tag Team Champions.  This was also the reason why the Assassins were allowed into the tournament as they were 4-time Southern Tag Team Champions.  Now you two… please hand me those…

Austin Idol:  Man, Jarrett, you must have taken more shots to the head then I thought.  Were Dutch Mantell and I not the Continental World Tag Team Champions on two separate occasions.  This is the actual world titles previously recognized by Memphis as the real World Champions!  Is this not the same exception you gave to Dundee and Keirn and the Assassins?

You can almost see the sails come out of Jarrett as his shoulders suddenly slump and his face goes from one of excitement as he was about to hand the titles to Dundee and Keirn to one of depression as he realizes that he has been had and there is nothing he can do about taking the titles from The Universal Heartthrob and Dirty Dutch.  He quickly composes himself and then lets Dundee and Keirn know that they will get the first Southern Tag Team shot and that match will take place this Monday night at the Mid-South Coliseum.  Nobody is really happy with the outcome of this situation as Lance tries to refocus the show.

Lance tries to get the show back on track but you can even see his frustration that Dutch and Idol are still going to be the champion. 

Lance:  Well, that we be a great match.  We will have more on Monday night’s card a little later but let me tell you about our show here tonight.  Shane Douglas will be taking Devil #1.  Exotic Adrian Street will be in action against   “No Class” Donny Bass.  Dick Slater & Jos Leduc will be taking on Trent Knight and Cougar Jay.  Newcomer Mando Guerrero from the legendary Guerrero family will be making his in-ring debut here in Championship Wrestling and in our main event it will be “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel taking on Too Cold Scorpio.  That and a whole lot more.  It looks like the timekeeper is ready to go so let’s get the action started.

MATCH #1

“The Franchise” Shane Douglas vs Devil #1 with Ron Wright

6CAQMS0.png

While Douglas controlled almost all of the match, Ron Wright, the leader of the Christian Wrestler’s Association, had a plan.  At one point, Devil #1 was out on the floor trying to recover.  The ref prevented The Franchise from going out to continue the assault.  This is when Ron Wright ordered Devil #2 back into the ring. 

4xmzHNb.png      uahRH8A.png

As Douglas came over to meet who he thought was the battered Devil #1, he was ambushed by a fresh Devil #2 who ended up shocking Douglas with a roll up, grab of the tights and feet on the ropes for the pin.  The crowd had seen the entire thing and was screaming at the ref.

Suddenly, Jeff Jarrett appears and demonstratively explains what happened.  Ron Wright was screaming from his wheelchair that JJ was lying.  The ref went over to talk to Ron Wright and this is when he saw the battered Devil #1 lying on the ground, half under the ring.  He quickly reversed his decision and ordered the match to continue. 

Douglas quickly tossed Devil #2 out of the ring and JJ tossed Devil #1 into the ring.

WHAM… Belly to Belly Suplex by Douglas and the ref makes the 3-count.  The crowd is all smiles now as we head to break. 

Commercials/Promos for upcoming show on Monday at the Mid-South Coliseum

When we come out of break, Jeff Jarrett and Shane Douglas are     

Lance:  Well Shane, I bet your happy Jeff was there watching your match. 

Shane Douglas:  You got that right Lance.  Jeff and I have seen a lot of nonsense going on around here lately and we’ve decided to watch each other’s backs.  So people like Ron Wright, Tommy Rich, Buddy Landel and most of all Dirty Dutch Mantell… you better think twice before coming after me or Jeff.

Lance Russell:  That sounds like a good plan to me.  Now I just heard that it will be you and Jeff against Devil’s Duo this Monday night at the Coliseum.

Lb0Oi9f.png

Jeff Jarrett:  Sounds good to me.  I’m always excited to show these fans what I got and now, with Shane in my corner, Ron Wright better watch his step… or watch his roll I guess I should stay.  Devils, you better be ready for the fight of your life.      

Next out to the podium is “The Nature Boy” Buddy Landel who kind of shoos Douglas and Jarrett away even though they had already left the podium.

Lance:  Well Buddy… not a familiar position for you to be out here without a title belt as Terry Gordy is now the Southern Heavyweight Champion.

HvoQUQB.png?2

Buddy Landel:  The only reason Terry Gordy is the champion is because that jealous, no talent Dick Slater interfered in my match.

Lance Russell:  Now that is not exactly true.

Buddy Landel:  Nobody asked you Pencil Neck.  As I was about to say, I was born and breed to be a champion.  I am the Nature Boy…Now this Monday night, I will prove to everyone that Ugly Bird Terry Gordy is no match for me.  I will get my Southern Title back and then I will deal with Dirty and Smelly Dick Slater. 

Lance Russell:  We’ll just have to wait until Monday at the Mid-South Coliseum to see about that.  That is if you even get to Monday night as you have a big match with Too Cold Scorpio in just a little while. 

Buddy Landel just shakes his head and walks off as if Lance had insulted him by saying that a match with Too Cold Scorpio would be a tough contest.    

MATCH #2

Exotic Adrian Street with Miss Linda vs “No Class” Donny Bass

pUNzmz7.png

Bass comes to the ring antagonizing the fans every step of the way.  As Adrian and Miss. Linda prance their way to the ring, you can just see Don Bass laughing at the Exotic One.  Bass tries, to no avail, to intimidate Street by getting right in his face but this only leads to a kiss on the check by Street.  Now enraged, Bass rushes in but just gets tied into knots by Street and this is basically how the entire match goes until ….

With Street locking in the sleeper, Rip Rogers and Terri come to the ring and surround Ms. Linda.  The Exotic one sees none of this as his back is to this situation.  Ms. Linda notices Rip first as he is closing in on her from the right.  She begins to back peddle until she crashes right into a brick wall….Terri Powers!

nI7vWM5.png

Terri quickly lifts Ms. Linda over her knee and begins to spank her as Ms. Linda is flailing all around.  Rip, to the shock of Lance, gives a few spanks of his own. 

Suddenly, Exotic Adrian turns and sees what is going on and he let’s go of Don Bass and rushes after Rip and Terri.  Rip and Terri see him coming and head for the hills.  Exotic Adrian rushes after them as the ref has no choice but to complete the 10 count and award Don Bass the win.

Exotic Adrian, who did not catch Ms. Linda’s assaulters, comes to console an obviously distraught valet.  Lance leaves the podium and goes over to the situation.

Lance:  Adrian, I know you are angry right now but

Adrian:  I’ve been European champion on 4 occasions, held titles in 37 countries and wrestled on every continent in the world and I have never come across such a disrespectful duo as Rip Rogers and Terri Powers.  Now, you might not know this Lance, but Ms. Linda is a great wrestler in her own right but tonight she, as you say here in America, was “Pearl Harbored.”  I know Ms. Linda and she is more angry then me and what happened tonight.  So, how about this… Monday night in the Mid-South Coliseum we have ourselves a little intergender match to see who is the real beautiful couple and who truly are the better wrestlers.

Lance Russell:  Well there you have it folks… a challenge has been handed down for this Monday night. 

As Exotic Adrian walks off we can here Dutch muttering to himself that he doesn’t think there is even a contest to see who the beautiful couple is. 

When we come out of break, the new Southern Heavyweight Champion, Terry Gordy, is at the podium.

Lance Russell: Congratulations Terry on becoming the new Southern Heavyweight Champion.

Terry Gordy:  Thank you Lance but it really comes as no surprise.  I’ve been saying for weeks that there isn’t a man alive that can beat me one on one especially not the spoiled, silver-spoon in his mouth Buddy Land…del.  I heard him out here earlier saying the only reason he lost to me was because of Dick Slater.  I don’t think so.  The reason he lost is a nearly slammed his sorry excuse of a wrestler through the mat.  He’s lucky to be walking right now.  Not sure he will be so lucky after Monday.

Match #3

“The Rebel” Dick Slater & “The Canadian Lumberjack” Jos Leduc destroy Trent Knight & Cougar Jay with the end coming by way of the bearhug by Leduc.

A quick promo by Dick Slater about how it is finally time that Tommy Rich has stopped hiding and that he can’t wait for Monday night to get his ounce of flesh for all that Wildfire has put him through in the last year.

Before our next match, Mando Guerrero is at the podium with Lance Russell.

Lance Russell:  Welcome to Championship Wrestling Mando.  You and your family are legendary in this sport.

dP6soQ3.png

Mando Guerrero: (comes out to Mexican mariachi music, wearing a sombrero, poncho slung over his shoulder, and a double string of bullets acting as a vest.  Joining Mando is a huge man wearing a black mask who is actually Cannonball Grizzly) Hola Lance… you are one of my favorite people!!  How do you like this guy with me.  He is Dr. D… Dr. Diobolico.  Just look at the size of him.  He, like all people is a real man.  Not the like the boys here in Tennessee.  He is vicious.  He is evil.  … Diabolic as you say in Engles.  Let me tell you something… we are here for one reason and one reason only.  I am Mexico’s avenging angel, and I am going to avenge all the bad things the people of Tennessee tried to do to my people in Mexico. Wherever we go, you people will remember this Mexican!! I come from a long, long line of fighting greats.  I am a direct descendent of Poncho Villa.  The Guererros have the background.  We have the skill.  We have desire.  Oh and let’s not forget… I have Dr. Diobolico to take care of anything I need done.  Together we are going to take your bubble gum wanna be wrestlers and do as we please with them.  Gutter rats like Bill Dundee will wish he never saw these Mexicans arrive.  Some can be said for the other rats of Tennessee, Jeff and Jerry Jarrett.

Lance Russell:  Okay, that’ll be enough of that.  Mando, I believe you have a match right now.

Dutch Mantell:  Well, it’s about time we got some class and culture around here.  Mando is a real breath of fresh air around here.

Lance Russell:  Oh yea… real class and culture there.  You really are blind aren’t you Dutch.

Match #4

Mando Guerrero with Dr. Diabolico defeats Jimmy Del Ray with the Guerrero Special Submission.  After the bout Dr. D adds in a few punches of his own before tossing Del Ray to the arena floor.

MAIN EVENT MATCH

The Nature Boy Buddy Landel defeats Too Cold Scorpio with the Figure 4 after a tough match. 

Lance:  Now let’s remember that big night coming up on Monday the Mid-South Coliseum.  Two big title matches plus 5 other huge bouts.  It’s going to be one heck of a show.  Until next time, Bye Bye ya’ll.  

MID-SOUTH COLISEUM CARD FOR MONDAY JULY 24, 1988

Mando Guerrero vs Cougar Jay

Too Cold Scorpio vs Big Money Marcus

Dirty White Boy with Ron Wright vs Sweet Brown Sugar

Jeff Jarrett & Shane Douglas vs Devil’s Duo with Ron Wright

Grudge Match

“The Rebel” Dick Slater vs Tommy “Wildfire” Rich

Southern Tag Team Title Match

Dutch Mantell & Austin Idol © vs Superstar Bill Dundee & Steve Keirn

Southern Heavyweight Title Match

“Freebird” Terry Gordy © vs “Nature Boy” Buddy Landel

Looks like Jerry is gonna take the titles off Dutch & Idol but some quick thinking by the Heartthrob keeps the belts with the champs.

Jeff exposed la switcheroo leading to a victory for Douglas over the Christian Devil.

A spanking leads to a rare intergender tag match at the Coliseum.

Mando arrives with some big backup.

Big card on the 24th.

Pretty good setup for Monday night which is how it should be.

Idol and Dutch with their bases covered in case they were going to have to vacate the titles. They really took the air out of the studio when they were ready for Jerry Jarrett. Just imagine the response they'll get at the Coliseum should they lose to Dundee and Keirn.

Shane with someone watching his back worked real well for him here on TV.

Lots of shenanigans here because you have some dastardly heels. Jerry Jarrett really had to keep on his toes and his eyes open.

Great follow up. I loved how Idol bested Jarrett with his own logic. Here's to a long Idol/Dutch reign. 

Thanks to Jeff Jarrett, Douglas gets quick payback on Wright's Devils. Nice set up to their upcoming tag match.

One thing about Budro, he never loses confidence. 

Great angle to set up the mixed tag match. This got some real heat and a passionate promo from Street. This feud has been really well done and one of the best in Memphis. 

I think Gordy might be right. Is there a man alive that can take his title? 

Slater's tuned up and ready for Rich. Big time grudge match coming! 

Mando as a heel! I'm lov'n that! Nice touch with Griz coming in as a masked bodyguard. 

Landel looks good on TV, but dealing with Gordy will be a whole lot different. 

As always, fun times in Memphis.