Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 6/7 - 6/9

Timbo Slice

3 hours ago, MLB said:

Yup. Also, MJF opened the promo by putting over how great Cole was, called him the greatest NXT Champion of all-time, followed in his footsteps with CZW, etc.  I thought it was an excellent segment.

That was the good part! The fact they had this great set-up and it went downhill to become something like "you do roids", "you are a virgin Gollum" and "the locker room doesn't respect you" was a letdown. They had figured out the proper motivation for the feud in the first two minutes, everything else was fluff.

I'm biased in the other way: I think MJF & Cole are both actively overrated, and that segment almost got me to turn the show off because of the content of the promos. Which is saying something, as the six-man tag pretty much featured four jobbers wasting time with Moxley & Claudio. Moxley whom has really allowed himself to look like shit now too, presentation wise. MJF Vs. Adam Cole is also not a match that I'm interested in seeing at all, let alone as a main event or title match.

I think the biggest disconnect with AEW to me, and it's really been this way since the beginning, is it's hard to take anything seriously because half the roster doesn't take themselves or the show seriously. So like the House of Black, in example, come out & want to be like dark witchy killers but then you have Orange Cassidy doing his stuff on the same show so the HOB just come off as goofy too. The whole company is like one big insider joke with everyone constantly winking at the cameras, including the commentators. So when MJF is doing his serious promo, it's always just full of a bunch of shooty shit & behind-the-scenes one-liners to pop smart marks.

I think with Cody leaving & now Kazarian's comments about leaving AEW, we're kind of seeing the divide in how people perceive AEW, or perhaps how they initially misjudged it for something that it was never intended to be. As a fan, I want a compelling show that I can suspend my disbelief & get drawn into the stories/matches & instead it feels like they're just constantly pulling back the curtain on The Wizard of Oz. Instead of feeling like I'm a part of the show & in on the joke, I just kind of feel alienated instead by a bunch of "this isn't for you" jokes & whatnot. C.M. Punk is certainly guilty of the shoot shit himself, but I like his idea of what professional wrestling seems to be more which is why his return has me excited. I feel like there's two groups of fans & if the company were drawn down the middle, you would have Omega & The Bucks on one side & Punk & FTR on the other. If I'm choosing a side, despite the Elite being there since day one, I'm choosing that Punk side. So maybe the new show will be more what I'm looking for.