Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 6/7 - 6/9

Timbo Slice

Man, I just can't believe we'll get Bryan Danielson vs Okada. Kazuchika better give a fuck now - he's very Orton-like to me: extremely talented, fluid, great timing, mechanically as amazing as you could ask for, yet always seems like he's on cruise control, even when having a 40 minute match.

44 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Man, I just can't believe we'll get Bryan Danielson vs Okada. Kazuchika better give a fuck now - he's very Orton-like to me: extremely talented, fluid, great timing, mechanically as amazing as you could ask for, yet always seems like he's on cruise control, even when having a 40 minute match.

Both guys have wanted this match for a while, and injuries/time/space kept getting in the way. I have no doubt both guys are going to go balls out.

3 hours ago, SirEdger said:

I don't know who told TK that it'd be a great idea to put the Ass Boys in Bullet Club Gold but this ain't it. Every time I think TK books the stupidest shit ever, he surpasses himself with someone like what we saw in the main event.

It’s literally so they can say something like “Every Bullet needs a Gunn” or something similar and stupid 

The MJF vs Baybay segment was pretty whatever, man.

Each program Max has makes it transparent that he's just reading reddit posts out loud. I get calling Cole washed and the "is this former great a shell of himself? Can he do it?" Is engaging stuff, and as a basic premise it 100% works, but talking about bodies, roids, and leaning into internet gossip is so tired.

16 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

The MJF vs Baybay segment was pretty whatever, man.

Each program Max has makes it transparent that he's just reading reddit posts out loud. I get calling Cole washed and the "is this former great a shell of himself? Can he do it?" Is engaging stuff, and as a basic premise it 100% works, but talking about bodies, roids, and leaning into internet gossip is so tired.

I agree man and honestly the cheap heat and MJF promos do nothing for me, where as some fans try claiming him to be the greatest heel in the business. I don't see it.

Starks/White-O 2 was a mess. I don't know what the fuck Starks was doing looking for shit under the ring or with the steps for so long. Bummer.

Not a fan of a lot of MJF's style and PIPEBOMBS bullshit, but Cole vs MJF has more juice in one promo with one week to the match than the entire build of the pillars match.

4 hours ago, Stiva said:

Also, why does MJF hype up that he was in “the greatest iron man match” and “the greatest dog collar match” instead of hyping that he’s beat Danielson, Punk and Cody Rhodes? Dude needs to get his priorities right 

What makes it even more egregious is that he lost the dog collar match. He should be making excuses for his loss, not bragging about being a part of it. Then again, that's not as bad as Cole violating the first rule of promos by saying that Britt could beat the hell out of MJF. If the AEW world champion can be beaten up by a girl half his size, what does that say about the rest of the roster?

53 minutes ago, Timbo Slice said:

As much as we hate it, MJF’s promos are for the live crowd who eat it up so they have something short to react to , which even with Cole correctly pointing out he’s just a Reddit troll only makes those fans feel even more threatened and want to respond more. 

It's not just the live fans. There was a huge spike in the quarter hour with the MJF/Cole segment.

8VCYiJN8kzl7nZFRcd433p3ZwnKVA4jQthKzfCck

And the video of the segment uploaded to AEW's YouTube channel has over 400k views in less than 24 hours. Like it or not, AEW's fans are eating this stuff up. I will say I thought MJF did a good job at the end of selling that Cole had gotten under his skin. Britt should take notes.

What are the alternatives? "You called my daddy yellow?" "I'm in this business for one reason only - that title!" Everyone's all "he shouldn't say this, he shouldn't say that", well, what should he be saying?

People are just pooh-poohing without offering anything constructive. The irony is that he's PWO's no.1 heel.

MJF saying he's a big fan of Vince McMahon left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.  Instead of mentioning like "Papa H", he endorses the now-proven rapist to get boos.  Obviously the rapist part wasn't what Max was talking about but its too bad that as a community most wrestlers/fans have already if not forgiven then easily forgotten Vince's many, many sins.  Even after he got ousted for them, now that he's back people are returning to business as usual.  Too bad.

1 hour ago, Dav'oh said:

What are the alternatives? "You called my daddy yellow?" "I'm in this business for one reason only - that title!" Everyone's all "he shouldn't say this, he shouldn't say that", well, what should he be saying?

People are just pooh-poohing without offering anything constructive. The irony is that he's PWO's no.1 heel.

The problem is that he’s 10x the worker than he is a promo but the fucker never wrestles

3 hours ago, Lukeless said:

MJF saying he's a big fan of Vince McMahon left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.  Instead of mentioning like "Papa 'H", he endorses the now-proven rapist to get boos.  Obviously the rapist part wasn't what Max was talking about but its too bad that as a community most wrestlers/fans have already if not forgiven then easily forgotten Vince's many, many sins.  Even after he got ousted for them, now that he's back people are returning to business as usual.  Too bad.

I get what you're saying, but it seems the overall vibe about Vince is "it is what it is" rather than forgiveness. He's never going to fully go away until he's dead , so you're just going to have to live with it. 

Plus AEW's whole original purpose of existing was to give folks an alternative to what Vince was offering, so of course he's going to be used to get a reaction from the fans.

13 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Then again, that's not as bad as Cole violating the first rule of promos by saying that Britt could beat the hell out of MJF. If the AEW world champion can be beaten up by a girl half his size, what does that say about the rest of the roster?

It was a cheap pop for Cole.

13 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Like it or not, AEW's fans are eating this stuff up. I will say I thought MJF did a good job at the end of selling that Cole had gotten under his skin. Britt should take notes.

Yup. Also, MJF opened the promo by putting over how great Cole was, called him the greatest NXT Champion of all-time, followed in his footsteps with CZW, etc.  I thought it was an excellent segment.

To echo @Dav'oh, I would be interested to hear other constructive ideas of how else MJF is supposed to generate heat for this angle with Cole. 

"I say, young cock. This promoter feller does think it would be spiffing if you and I, we, pretend to engage in fisticuffs and rough-housery. What say you?"
"Splendid! A capital idea! Does Sunday the next suit you, sir?"
"I have cleared my engagements and very much look forward to our impending encounter. A good day to you, sir."
"Wonderful!"

8 hours ago, MLB said:

:lol:

You laugh at that but no-sell my opus, "We Didn't Start the Diving" like nearly every other motherfucker in this godforsaken place I'm turning heel.

21 hours ago, Stiva said:

Also, why does MJF hype up that he was in “the greatest iron man match” and “the greatest dog collar match” instead of hyping that he’s beat Danielson, Punk and Cody Rhodes? Dude needs to get his priorities right 

I feel a big part of MJF's character if being incredible insecure about his status as a wrestler. He hates he's not mentioned in the "best wrestler in the world" combo and any media appearance he has, he makes it a point to mention how great he is in the ring (and he's been doing it in every media scrum post PPV since at least the Darby match 2 years ago).

I think there's still a big portion of the fanbase that wont give him much props for his matches so he continues to hammer home the point by now cutting promos about him having "the best *insert gimmick* match ever". And I think it works because AEW fans seem annoyed by it and react accordingly.