Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 6/14 - 6/17 - Yada Yada Punk

Timbo Slice

The slower pace meant that things were given more time to be taken in and digested, which made it feel different from Dynamite, which goes at breakneck speed. Also, not nearly as many interferences - both in matches and promos - as a typical Dynamite episode. 

I marked out so hard when Punk caught Joe in that headlock. Like my childhood coming back to me. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/17/2023 at 2:26 AM, MoS said:

He was definitely not used fine when he was doing headlock takeovers and Irish whips with Keith Lee, a guy 5 times his size and about 50 times his strength. Shit was disgusting. I have no idea what Shawn saw in him. 

Himself?

Shawn didn't do parity headlock takedown sequences with tons of reversals like they're of the same size and strength, and evenly worked brawling exchanges like their punches have the same effect, when he worked Vader or Sid or Taker. 

Michaels did do parity mat-wrestling with an Olympic Gold medallist in their                       * WrestleMania match.

*Insert your own adjectives, he said, diplomatically.

He sees a handsome, "undersized", highly talented worker (I never said he was shite, just that he looked like a corpse on a slab in a morgue in an episode of CSI). He sees a guy who you think is cute, you know is sexy, and is most certainly not your boy toy (boy toy).

5 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Michaels did do parity mat-wrestling with an Olympic Gold medallist in their                       * WrestleMania match.

*Insert your own adjectives, he said, diplomatically.

He sees a handsome, "undersized", highly talented worker (I never said he was shite, just that he looked like a corpse on a slab in a morgue in an episode of CSI). He sees a guy who you think is cute, you know is sexy, and is most certainly not your boy toy (boy toy).

No offence, i love your posts, but I hope both your team and the England team lose the Ashes simultaneously just by everyone tripping over a ball while coming onto the field, Glenn McGrath in 2005-style. But with Cummins getting a lot of wickets cuz I really like him. Marnus is really due for some humbling though, and I am glad he is getting it. Long overdue

1 hour ago, MoS said:

I hope both your team and the England team lose the Ashes

No offence taken, good brother. Listening to the noise 25,000 Brits make at Edgbaston watching the staid, gentlemanly, game of cricket gave me great hope for what 80,000 of the great unwashed will sound like at Wembley.

Shawn was the one who produced the matches in NXT where Cole worked parity exchanges with much larger opponents. It's the same reason he produces matches with millions of superkicks even though he heavily protected his own when he wrestled. He's putting together the matches he thinks modern audiences want to see.

This is maybe worth taking to the Michaels GWE thread or into a Microscope thread or something but, if anything, I feel like 2nd run Michaels was a little too comfortable with a standard opening against bigger guys like Umaga or Kane or Batista or Undertaker that had nothing to do with chain wrestling; it was constantly duck and chop, sidestep and chop, block and punch, all leading to Shawn getting flattened once or twice before transitioning into heel control.

So, while I don't remember a lot of headlock takeovers, I do remember the same "stick and move" song repeated almost note for note to start off most of those matches. Which, while being boring in its own way, doesn't really carry forward into much of what Adam Cole was inexplicably working with bigger dudes.