Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV - 7/17 - 7/21 - Three Men Stand In My Way, Three Men Get Dropped

Timbo Slice

The level of confidence he's grown into during the Judgement Day run has been something to see, especially when you realize he's still basically learning on the job. If he had a different name he'd be doing his time in NXT learning to get comfortable doing promos, but since he's more or less the reason Rey stayed with the company instead of going with AEW they fast tracked him to the main roster. 

15 hours ago, Coffey said:

Well, I mean, he's perfect for a chickenshit heel, yeah? Worked for Honky Tonk Man. X-Pac too, I guess.

I was speaking in terms of Dom moving up the card and what his overall ceiling/future prospects might be. Dom gets so much praise on pWo, a "perfect" chickenshit heel as you say. Chickenshit heels don't tend to last very long, especially in WWE. They also tend to be managers. At some point, you have to kick somebody's ass, be a terrific promo, or get very creative at cheating.

It worked for HTM, but he was in the WWF for what? Three years? After his initial IC reign and getting squashed by Warrior, he was either JTTS or beating the Red Rooster at house shows. He finished up his last year in a tag team. Even so, HTM was the main act and not Peggy Sue's manager. HTM is so much better of a heel promo than Dom it's not even funny. And honestly, I don't consider X-Pac a chickenshit heel. Waltman never really stalled or begged off. Incredibly obnoxious yes, but not a cowardly heel.

Seriously, all things considered, Dom's nowhere in the same league as either of those wrestlers.  

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

If he had a different name he'd be doing his time in NXT learning to get comfortable doing promos, but since he's more or less the reason Rey stayed with the company instead of going with AEW they fast tracked him to the main roster. 

Exactly what I'm saying, is he this mega heat magnet or should he still be in developmental? He's cosplaying Eddy's gimmick with Chyna from 25 years ago, I'm not impressed. The kid got lucky, I'm asking how far he can still go with it.

16 minutes ago, MLB said:

, is he this mega heat magnet or should he still be in developmental?

Honestly think the answer here is both. He 100% should be in developmental all things considered, but they caught lightning in a bottle with him getting "drown out the promo" heat so why not run with it. The only people in the business getting that are him and Don Callis, and Don had to stab a motherfucker to get it. 

You compare him to Callis because he's essentially a manager who wrestles. Like I said, he will be able to stay in this role after the inevitable Rhea split with another woman on the roster. I don't blame WWE for running with it. However, there's still something about him we agree that suggests he isn't ready and I am wondering if he ever will be. Is this lightning in a bottle/flash in the pan?  

Dom has been on this heel run for almost a year. I'd say he's doing pretty well in terms of character work, and his wrestling improved too. I don't think he'll be a main eventer anytime soon, nor I believe WWE is positioning him as such, but he is a damn good mid card heel champ. 

What made me change my opinion on him (do a full 360°!!) was that promo he cut on Charlotte. He wasn't exactly heeling it up on her, but just being a sleazebag. I loved it. 

13 hours ago, sek69 said:

The level of confidence he's grown into during the Judgement Day run has been something to see, especially when you realize he's still basically learning on the job. If he had a different name he'd be doing his time in NXT learning to get comfortable doing promos, but since he's more or less the reason Rey stayed with the company instead of going with AEW they fast tracked him to the main roster. 

If he had a different name he would have never been hired. Considering the changed hiring policy, it's questionable if he would even had got hired if would have done great on the indies.

I don't know, he does not fit the blueprint of the latinos they hired in the last couple of years - mostly relatively young but quite experienced, good-looking guys. Dom definitely had no experience when he was hired (besides being trained by I think Lance Storm) and I might be off here, but at least to me he does not seem to be particularly dashing.