Pro Wrestling Only

Hiromu Takahashi

Grimmas

Control21 said:

One of the best junior heavyweights over the past decade. Hiromu Takahashi is a very gifted wrestler who knows how to work the modern NJPW formula, and by extension, most other modern styles as well. Hiromu Takahashi is also a master of conveying emotion and utilizing psychology in his matches to insert a vivid sense of tension and danger. He has developed memorable rivalries with the likes of KUSHIDA, Dragon Lee, El Desperado, and Taiji Ishimori. While he is still relatively early in his career, I think he has put together a very solid case for one of the best junior heavyweights of all time and could be a contender for some Top 100 lists.

Recommended matches -

Hiromu Takahashi vs Taiji Ishimori (6/4/2018)

Hiromu Takahashi vs Will Ospreay (1/4/2020)

Hiromu Takahashi vs Will Ospreay (2/10/2018)

Hiromu Takahashi vs Will Ospreay (6/9/2018)

Hiromu Takahashi vs KUSHIDA (6/11/2017)

Hiromu Takahashi vs KUSHIDA (1/4/2017)

Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee (2/11/2017)

Hiromu Takahashi vs Ryu Lee (2/9/2020)

Dragon Lee vs Kamaitachi (1/24/2016)

Dragon Lee vs Kamaitachi (3/20/2015)

Dragon Lee vs Kamaitachi (12/4/2015)

I believe he can definitely be in a conversation, although his case must be stronger (or at least more defined) for the 2036 project, as he still is quite young. He has the great matches and is one of the best at working the "fast-paced crazy spotfest" style, which isn't my cup of tea but he makes it work for me most of the times. He even managed to excite me during some pandemic-era crowds matches, something extremely difficult in my case. He has such strong charisma and impressive, exciting ringwork.

The 2017 KUSHIDA trilogy belongs among the all time great in ring wrestling sagas, specially the Dominion match is an all timer, and some of his Dragon Lee, Desperado and Will Ospreay matches are really good as well (but others not so much). There was a time when I believed he could be the next ace of the promotion, but instead Gedo wants him forever at the Jr division (which shouldn't be bad in itself, but with Gedo's booking it kinda is).

• 5 months later...

Clearly quite physically talented with tons of charisma; my only gripe is that a lot of his matches tend to melt into each other once you've seen a lot of him in action. That's mostly down to NJPW categorically refusing to do anything interesting with him bar "I win the Jr heavyweight belt again" and whatnot. I'm not the biggest fan of his longer stuff but it's not unbearable. 

Like what Tetsujin said above, however, he's very much a "conversation in the future" kind of prospect, not one that I think has a major case at this very moment.

On 1/7/2024 at 12:20 AM, Ma Stump Puller said:

he's very much a "conversation in the future" kind of prospect

I don't know that he is, by the time we're going to be voting he'll be 36 years old, I don't see what he could add to his case after that if he doesn't straight up leave New Japan and do something interesting elsewhere. I think it's far more likely he's made the vast majority of his case already rather than he's someone that'll add significantly to his case going forward.

6 hours ago, El McKell said:

I don't know that he is, by the time we're going to be voting he'll be 36 years old, I don't see what he could add to his case after that if he doesn't straight up leave New Japan and do something interesting elsewhere. I think it's far my likely he's made the vast majority of his case already rather than he's someone that'll add significantly to his case going forward.

El Desperado wasn't good until he was 37. I doubt it's a huge reach to suggest he'll make a good case later on

Despy has been very good for much longer than that. 2017 at least. That's six years. And apparently he was good in CMLL as Namajague. And he's been arguably the best Jr Heavyweight since 2019. And that's even whilst being stuck in the small Jr tag team division. The feud with Kanemaru against R3K was really awesome. I dunno if history will reflect that though. 

Hiromu Takahashi might be seen more favourably in ten years time when he's at the back end of his career but right now, all I'm seeing from him in a strong peak and a whimpering return from injuries baring a few good matches with El Desperado and Ospreay. Again, he got injured and that hurt his run because then he lost all the danger of his work and a lot of the appeal. It's a shame. And now he's just an oddball with a tiresome match format. Even his latest title reign was an endless list of dull matches, even when fighting against other promotions guys. That YAMATO match was so underwhelming.