Pro Wrestling Only

The 1996 Draft Discussion Thread

Extremely pleased to have acquired Sasuke and Hakushi so far. Must haves for W*ING.

Great choices, @Control21. Frank Shamrock was arguably the greatest fighter of the 90's and Takayama is an absolute legend. Are you going to write angles for your program or it is straight fighting results? What can we expect?

2 minutes ago, MLB said:

Extremely pleased to have acquired Sasuke and Hakushi so far. Must haves for W*ING.

Great choices, @Control21. Frank Shamrock was arguably the greatest fighter of the 90's and Takayama is an absolute legend. Are you going to write angles for your program or it is straight fighting results? What can we expect?

Thanks! Frank Shamrock actually fought in RINGS in 1997 against Kohsaka and 1999 against Tamura and both were excellent fights. I always wanted to see him against other RINGS guys like Volk Han. Takayama might be the perfect heir to Akira Maeda in terms of tall guys that can throw some stiff strikes...

As for storylines, RINGS was pretty much presented like a sport. They were sort of like PRIDE before PRIDE. Fancy video game-esque graphics, and they only did singles matches (although I might introduce a tag team format). They had pre and post-fight interviews on their shows that sort of told the stories along with the in-ring stuff of course. I'll be making use of some WON-style posts to further storylines and give people a sense of what is transpiring beyond the match results. If you want a taste of what RINGS was like, you can find a lot of stuff on Youtube and the full shows are on PuroArchive's Internet Archive channel.

That talent will be added in two separate additions to the free agency, once on October 7th and the other on December 7th. These will be done right before The Rookie Draft for 1997. So that way, we can get some fresh additions into the game. So yeah, Bam Bam will be there, but what I have learned from doing so many drafts. You got to have back up plans. 

Oh yeah @Perfectly Straightedge, I'm only kidding around and not sore over it. Fair warning - I will have Onita and various others shooting on the other promotions but it's all a work. ;)

4 minutes ago, Control21 said:

Thanks! Frank Shamrock actually fought in RINGS in 1997 against Kohsaka and 1999 against Tamura and both were excellent fights. I always wanted to see him against other RINGS guys like Volk Han. Takayama might be the perfect heir to Akira Maeda in terms of tall guys that can throw some stiff strikes...

As for storylines, RINGS was pretty much presented like a sport. They were sort of like PRIDE before PRIDE. Fancy video game-esque graphics, and they only did singles matches (although I might introduce a tag team format). They had pre and post-fight interviews on their shows that sort of told the stories along with the in-ring stuff of course. I'll be making use of some WON-style posts to further storylines and give people a sense of what is transpiring beyond the match results. If you want a taste of what RINGS was like, you can find a lot of stuff on Youtube and the full shows are on PuroArchive's Internet Archive channel.

I am familiar with RINGS and wondered how faithful you were going to stick to their format.  I figured you would be recapping the post scrums, etc. Looking forward to seeing what's up!

Just now, MLB said:

Oh yeah @Perfectly Straightedge, I'm only kidding around and not sore over it. Fair warning - I will have Onita and various others shooting on the other promotions but it's all a work. ;)

I am familiar with RINGS and wondered how faithful you were going to stick to their format.  I figured you would be recapping the post scrums, etc. Looking forward to seeing what's up!

Hahaha I wouldn’t have it any other way. ECW is king of the shoots. So that’s no problem here. It’s the fun of this game. 

2 hours ago, MLB said:

Another head's up @Perfectly Straightedge I wanted to give you is W*ING USA is going to be based in Los Angeles, so there is going to be a 90's "east coast vs west coast" tension with the fanbases.

I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m going to try and make sure my crowd don’t riot over Rocky Mavia. Lmao

Ahhh man Terry Funk can never truly retire. He is the funker. 

I was looking at the top PWI 500 and some people really shocked me. Im not going to put a time limit on picks just cause I know that Jeff is overseas and I don’t want to anyone to feel left out especially this early. Now later rounds I’ll probably be a little more strict cause at that point with exemptions and everything. Everyone has a solid roster. So it won’t mean as much but these earlier rounds we can be patient and give everyone a chance to make sure everything looks good and come up with plans. Cause I know when drafts go really fast I always overlook something. Lmao 

*I have to say this has been crazy fun. A lot of curveballs already from the participants. No idea what the next pick could be! Simon Diamond going high in the 19th round shows @SirEdger and WCW have big plans for him. 

*To say drafting the Sandman was a huge home run for W*ING USA would be an understatement. Definitely needed him for the launch since it is an American show. Sandman has a giant chip on shoulder after Paul E. rescinded his exemption and he promises ECW will regret it! :o

*@jeff5819 we don't need to rush early in the draft like @Perfectly Straightedge said earlier. Personally I'm chill and it gives more time to come up with ideas. I will be active until the end and have some surprises in store.

Oh yeah def send me your short lists and we can move along that way. That’s no worries at all.

As for Sandman I’m glad you can use him cause I just don’t like Sandman and had no desire to write with him. Yeah, he was an ECW staple. I just don’t care for him. Same reason I won’t draft Val Venis either. Lol

Wow @Perfectly Straightedge drafting Pipes as a figurehead, dumping the Sandman, and taking blue chip Superstar prospects like Maivia and Misterio...it feels like ECW is going "legit". :o

Roddy and Heyman would've been magic together, I wish we could've had any interaction between those two! Roddy is an interesting fit in ECW, however he is definitely somebody who can fire back at some of Onita's incoming pipebombs. 

2 minutes ago, MLB said:

Wow @Perfectly Straightedge drafting Pipes as a figurehead, dumping the Sandman, and taking blue chip Superstar prospects like Maivia and Misterio...it feels like ECW is going "legit". :o

Roddy and Heyman together would've been magic together, I wish we could've had any interaction between those two! Roddy is an interesting fit in ECW, however he is definitely somebody who can fire back at some of Onita's incoming pipebombs. 

Yeah, I will post a backstory about ECW and some of the reasons behind the changes. The biggest thing I am going to go ahead and spoil is that I am going to make The Mass Transit incident happen three months earlier, which will explain why New Jack was not exempted from the roster in this story and why The Sandman was let go due to the PPV Provider threatening to pull the plug on the upcoming PPV "Barely Legal" 

I will say it's taking everything I have not to draft Kevin Nash, but in the ECW environment, they would eat him alive, but he could easily be my top heel. Jackknifing his way to the main title and everything, but I will hold off and let someone else have their shot if he keeps dropping. I don't know if I can stop myself. lol

44 minutes ago, MLB said:

@SirEdger you were exactly who I was worried about taking him! :P I could see from the Horsemen's presence on your roster you might've leaned that way. I am keeping Barry in the Stalker gimmick as Terrible Ted's handler.

Obviously, my tentative plans for Barry would've been tied to the Horsemen...whether it would've been as full-fledged Horseman or an enemy, I hadn't made my mind yet.

Now, I'm gonna have to be creative to find a way to reunite Harlem Heat in some fashion since @LowBlowPodcast picked Booker.