Pro Wrestling Only

AEW WrestleDream - Possibly on MAX after tonight?

Timbo Slice

AEW delivered another exceptional show with WrestleDream. The Swerve/Hangman match was nothing short of breathtaking, and it's great to see Swerve clinch the victory – he's definitely poised for a main event run. Bryan/Sabre showcased pure wrestling mastery, proving that with talents of this caliber, magic is inevitable. While I currently lean towards Opreay as TBITW, Danielson is giving him a run for his money, especially after that intense strap match and now this. Darby/Cage was an awe-inspiring spectacle, though I wasn't particularly thrilled about Copeland's debut. But hey, if TK's offering big bucks, it's hard to blame anyone for taking it. As for MJF, it's high time he steps out of his fed dreams and takes things more seriously in AEW, instead of merely cosplaying as Hogan.

I'm not into face MJF, who is 100% schtick, in the same way that he was 100% schtick as a heel. It's over and crowds seem to love it, it just isn't for me. I think the biggest problem is this whole thing with Cole has felt like the title is very secondary and disconnected from the rest of the shows. Two PPVs in a row where a secondary title main events as the actual champ is in tag matches in the opener against goofs with zero chance.

Barnett vs Claudio ruled.

Eddie vs Shibata ruled. Eddie Kingston becoming the American Ishii rules.

Bryan/ZSJ ruled.

Moxley on commentary ruled.

FTR/Aussie Open ruled even with the injuries and sloppiness.

Christian/Darby was....something. There's no way that stairs spot could have gone well even at the safest possible way to take it, but then have it be so fucked up heading into it and that might be the most disgusting bump I've ever seen that didn't have someone paralyzed or visible bone break like a Sid. Christian is the heel MJF thought he was, just an absolute unrepentant piece of shit to everyone. 

Edge's debut was lmao. Imagine how much cooler and hype it would have been if the music and smoke started without a 45 second vignette that fucking Darby and Sting have done many times...to do a run in to save Darby and Sting.

I guess at this point, it looks like they are leading into MJF vs. Jay White for the World Title at Full Gear. I am sure that will be a perfectly serviceable match, but I don’t see White as much of a threat to actually win. Then again, if MJF’s contract really is up on December 31, Tony needs to get that belt off him ASAP. I’m not convinced he hasn’t already signed a new deal, but whatever.

3 minutes ago, Embrodak said:

Swole MJF seems like he’s a better fit for WWE imo, but he won’t be able to be as edgy like he likes.

Which would improve his presentation 110%. "Edgy" MJF relies on lazy cheap heat. He's a great character who doesn't need any of that and never has. 

8 hours ago, MLB said:

If MJF is gonna insist on working a lighter schedule at this stage of his career than Brock Lesnar, then I'm letting him walk away.

I want to circle back to this even though nobody commented on it. As over as Max is, he's still something of a jacked up manager.

He doesn't want to bump, doesn't want to fight. Max has said it a hundred times he wants to cherry pick when he wrestles. We got a mysterious layoff after his big semi-shoot where MJF went on "auditions" (ie, got on the gas). The reason we got BTYBB is because Max wanted to be in a tag team and mitigate the bumps. Fine, but give the world title to somebody that wants to wrestle and isn't consistently coming up with excuses to work around it (fake dives, bodyslams, double clotheslines and peacocking). Fortunately, it's over with the audience, to his credit he has pulled it off. However, if MJF leaves it will look stupid in hindsight as they've basically buried the world championship for a year with him. 

Is there another wrestler that actively avoided wrestling like MJF? Sid? Warrior?

I'm guessing the original plan was to build to a unification match with Punk's "real" world title, but that's obviously out the window. The MJF/Cole pairing really seems to be clicking, so I see no harm in keeping the belt on ice while that plays out. And considering how often the booking has been derailed by injuries, having a world champion who picks his spots isn't the worst thing in the world.