Pro Wrestling Only

AEW WrestleDream - Possibly on MAX after tonight?

Timbo Slice

- I don't expect anything to be on MAX tomorrow. For starters, the MAX sports tier doesn't launch until October 5th (Thursday). As far as I know, its a pretty "soft" launch too unless I missed some big announcements of major sporting events they will be airing in October. Basically, its just whatever they were airing on TBS/TNT already unless I'm mistaken. Nothing truly exclusive yet. Based on the little I have read, it seems like Warner Bros. is looking to expand their NBA coverage, which makes a ton of sense considering the history there.

I could see AEW not launching until Full Gear in November or even later (depending on what their deal is with Bleacher Report/FITE/whoever else is handling their PPVs). Also, I don't think "pissing off fans who paid $50" is a real worry even if he were to announce that all the AEW stuff would be on there by the week's end. The fact that this is the 3rd PPV that AEW has had within 7 weeks leads me to believe that he doesn't lose too much sleep over his fans' spending habits. And what would those fans, who are seemingly the biggest and most engaged, really be complaining about? They'd be upset for about an hour and then they'd be the first to sign up just like the majority of WWE PPV buyers did for the Network and Peacock. That core audience is not going to be chased away by paying for a show like this (which should be very good, considering the card).

- I really hope there's not too much expectation for Edge to show up. I'm not expecting him to show, though having Darby/Christian closing the show seems like a hint that he may be there. If he's not appearing, one does have to wonder why TK would position that match at the end of the show when Danielson/Sabre is almost guaranteed to be great, Danielson is still the most consistent "big match" performer on the entire AEW roster and maybe on any roster, and you're in Seattle, which may not be as meaningful to Danielson (Aberdeen is 2 hours away), but is still probably going to fully and passionately behind the Dragon as a "home state" guy. 

24 minutes ago, DMJ said:

- I really hope there's not too much expectation for Edge to show up. I'm not expecting him to show, though having Darby/Christian closing the show seems like a hint that he may be there. If he's not appearing, one does have to wonder why TK would position that match at the end of the show when Danielson/Sabre is almost guaranteed to be great, Danielson is still the most consistent "big match" performer on the entire AEW roster and maybe on any roster, and you're in Seattle, which may not be as meaningful to Danielson (Aberdeen is 2 hours away), but is still probably going to fully and passionately behind the Dragon as a "home state" guy. 

I think it's a case of Tony once again being a yes-man to one of his favorites. Danielson has said he asked Tony to not book him to close out PPVs anymore and in this case, with two other hometown wrestlers having way better feuds leading up to the show (Swerve and Darby) it made sense to not put him in that spot so he got his wish.

I highly doubt that after 4+ hours of wrestling, that Seattle crowd would've been able to be engaged in a mat based encounter with some stiff striking. Specially because there's literally no stakes in Dragon vs Sabre. Who ends up as "the best technical wrestler in the planet" means basically nothing. It's not a "title" that fans have ever cared about and it's not like the build up to this matchup had any chance to change that perception either. But if you put that match in the middle or the first third of the show, they are probably gonna be waaay more receptive and into Sabre's inventive holds/counters and Danielson having to react to them. 

12 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

How the fuck isn't Darby paralyzed?

That’s the million dollar question. 

that show was a lot better than it needed to be. I found a stream on tiktok of all places. I fell asleep during the six man and aew tag match but caught the main event. 

Darby is hitting the area of being uncomfortable to watch sometimes. 

I dug the Edge debut. Seems he will going by Adam Copeland. Probably for the best. Very happy to hear alterbridge blasting though such a great song.

Well I'll be damned seemed PWO didn't give a shit about this :lol: . Didn't see every single match but all I saw was at the very least fun, and there were some standout matches.

-Opener was cool. Gotta handed it to MJF, dude knows how to get very simple shyt over. He has a dropkick, a double clothesline and now a bodyslam as new "signature" spots the crowd will react to. Love how he found a way to take advantage over the fact that AEW's fanbase has seen every move on the planet at this point, so why not just have fun with the most basic ones?

-Eddie vs Shibata was great. An 8-10 minute match is perfect for a back and forth strike fest with some good submissions sprinkled in. Favorite part was Shibata being in control and Eddie desperately trying to hit a backdrop driver just to get a breather. Those 2 minutes or so were the kind of shyt I fukking love in wrestling.

-Only skimmed through the TBS title match. Agreed with whoever said Julia's moonsault looks like it's gonna destroy her knees in record time. Bummer that Statlander retained.

-Skipped the tag match. Young Bucks gonna win the tag belts in L.A in Full Gear, bleh. I do wonder if there's gonna be a big stipulation attached to it.

-Swerve vs Hangman. I was legit frustrated at how Page refused to actually work the hand and just attack it as a desperation or reset move. But then Swerve fucked Hangmayne's arm up, worked on it like you are supposed to and I loved the contrast between both approaches (and how Swerve's was better). I'll let the Nana stuff slide (lmao at that not being a DQ) because Strickland won and he 100% had to get this W. If Ricky is not the one to dethrone MJF, then Swerve should, that man is fukking ready for a title run.

-Skipped most of Ricky vs Yuta, obvious and necessary win for Starks.

-Danielson vs Sabre was dope as hell. Would've loved to see even more mat based exchanges but I understand why they took it to more strikes for the second half of the match. Nigel is the best heel hater commentator since Bobby Heenan, the way he was having a damn orgasm when ZSJ was hurting Dragon's right arm had me in stitches, I know he's praying to every available deity that Bryan is healthy for All In so they can have their last match in Wembley. Loved how they protected Zack by making Danielson win with the knee and Sabre being the more skillful mat wrestler in the end.

-Skimmed through the 6 man. Holy fukk at some of the bumps those guys were taking, saw Kenny fukk his head or neck up like three times. This got me wanting a Takeshyta/Ospreay tag team, just imagine all the insane shyt those two could do.

-I'll watch the tag match tomorrow, is too damn late and I wont put the attention this deserves and I wanted to get to the main event.

-After such a long show, I gotta salute both Christian and Darby for making the maint event feel fresh and worthy of that spot. It's impossible to describe the level of crazy Darby is with these bumps, I hope he gets a raise soon. Christian is fukking awesome, lost my shyt at how he looked at Edge and asked him "what do you want?" :lol: 

Finally got to catch up on the show, good bubba Jmare hit all the key points, but I'm surprised how much Edge was able to bring with him. The Alter Bridge theme sounded like a re-recorded version, but how was Rated R Superstar not still trademarked? 

Folks may grumble about AEW signing him, but with WWE already primed to give Jade the megapush from the jump they needed to make a move in kind.

Also interested in how heel Nick Wayne will work, but at least there's an obvious explanation for him turning since Darby was so quick to forgive AR Fox for murdering Nick in his dad's ring. 

One thing that I noticed and a big indicator of how much in the doghouse referee Rick Knox is for the Moxley/Fenix botch the other week; the only match he officiated tonight was the Zero Hour mixed tag match opener. And it probably was one of the shortest matches in the entire card as well.

Meanwhile, Aubrey Edwards officiated 2 matches in a row (Starks vs Yuta and Danielson vs ZSJ), which I think must be rare nowadays.

Very good show overall, pretty much everything delivered in the ring. Great surprise to end the show with Adam Copeland's debut. They're on the media post show saying Copeland will be a full time every week guy and will make his in ring debut against Luchasaurus on next week's Tuesday Dynamite. 

I don’t mind Copeland coming to AEW but I DO hate wrestler debuts (With music and sometimes pyro) during a heel beatdown. Same with the lights on/off. 

…..and the people debuting never seem to be in a hurry to help the person getting attacked. I believe Jeff Hardy was dancing when his brother was getting beaten up, if I have that right. 

I was begging Christian to smash Darby while Adam Copeland was walking down the ramp.

7 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

-Opener was cool. Gotta handed it to MJF, dude knows how to get very simple shyt over. He has a dropkick, a double clothesline and now a bodyslam as new "signature" spots the crowd will react to. Love how he found a way to take advantage over the fact that AEW's fanbase has seen every move on the planet at this point, so why not just have fun with the most basic ones?

Match was fun but i am legit annoyed that he just beat them and there was no movement on the story. Killed the Righteous in my eyes

3 hours ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

I don’t mind Copeland coming to AEW but I DO hate wrestler debuts (With music and sometimes pyro) during a heel beatdown. Same with the lights on/off. 

…..and the people debuting never seem to be in a hurry to help the person getting attacked. I believe Jeff Hardy was dancing when his brother was getting beaten up, if I have that right. 

to be fair, jeff dancing while his brother was getting his ass beat was awesome iconic and on brand. I’ll never forget that lol

8 hours ago, Embrodak said:

I can’t believe WWE let the “Rated R Superstar” trademark lapse. Vince is losing his touch. Hated the way they did the debut, though, so cliche even for wrestling.

I'm not sure if it's a case of VKM losing his touch or it is him being generous and cutting the guy a little bit of slack that left on great terms with a highly decorated career. Copeland's going into the WWE HoF at some point and it's wise business to keep it amicable.