Pro Wrestling Only

First round match #4

Loss

Vote for the wrestler that you think had the better career in WWE (whether you base that on impact or match quality is your decision), from 1985 to 2005. Voting will end Tuesday morning. Please give the wrestler's name first and any explanation thereafter. Thanks.

Chris Jericho

This was an *extremely* tough pick, and I was going to go Piper until this morning when I thought about it more. Piper easily made a bigger splash, but Jericho reached the top title, something Piper never did, and has had far more good-great matches on top. I can see this going either way, though, and won't be disappointed with either result, because whichever guy loses will kick ass and take names in the loser's bracket.

Roddy Piper

Tough call here, but Piper got to headline many shows with Hogan in 1985 and draw tons of money. Still a pretty competent worker too. Had one of my favourite angles in 1987 with Adonis and Beefcake too. Jericho, while a good worker, has never had the opportunities that Piper got, thanks generally to politics. A shame every time I look at it.

Roddy Piper

Another VERY tough call. I take Piper because his heeldom was second to none in the mid-90s, while Jericho's place in WWE history is less distinguished.

Loss and I were discussing this last night. Piper and Jericho have played very similar roles as the constant, smart-a$$ heel and face. If this were on ring work, Jericho would win hands down. For impact, I would go Piper....

I have to think about this some more.

Guest The Man in Blak

Roddy Piper

In terms of ringwork, Jericho edges Piper by a pretty good margin. But, in every other facet of the game, Piper has Jericho's number. Jericho has never really excelled as both a face and heel in the company. Both are tremendous interviews, but Piper gets the edge, especially when you consider that a good portion of Jericho's best interviews lie in his stint in WCW. Even though Jericho was the first undisputed champion, Piper actually has more historical impact on the company, as being the primary heel during the Rock 'n Wrestling era, a main eventer in the first Wrestlemania, and somewhat of a crossover star with his movie career.

If this weren't limited to WWF, I'd give this one to Jericho in a heartbeat. As it stands, though, I think Piper should get the nod.

Guest Alfdogg

Roddy Piper

Wrestling's top heel during the initial wrestling boom, and one of the few guys who never needed a belt to draw money.

Piper, hands down. The only reason it's even a debate is because a lot of people tend to remember the broke down, brain-fried Piper of current times.

In his prime, Piper was far superior to Jericho. He was the rival needed to make Hulk Hogan a superstar. He may have never won more than the IC title, but he didn't need to have a belt to draw a crowd.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Chris Jericho

It's a tough call, but I'm going with the guy who was around more, has done more, and while not the draw Piper was, was just a better hand to have around because he had no problems with doing jobs when needed.

This is easily the toughest match of the first-round picks so far, as far as making a choice. I really think whoever loses will still clean house in the loser's bracket, so it'll all work out. But yeah, this was the hardest decision.

Guest KingPK

Roddy Piper

Jericho's the superior worker, but politics and such have almost completely destroyed his character, making it a shell of what he was in WCW and his debut WWF promo with Rock. Piper helped Hogan get over and then helped Flair get over when he came to Stanford.

It's a toughie, but I guess the Hand of HHH holding Jericho down reaches into this tournament as well.

Guest rob

Roddy Piper, because he easily the best heel in the history of the company, and even as a face he was held in the same regard.

Guest teke184

Chris Jericho

Jericho was by far the better worker.

In addition, Piper's big run in this era only lasted from early 1985 to Wrestlemania 3. His only other run of substance was from late 91 against Ric Flair to his Wrestlemania 8 match against Bret Hart.

Guest Some Guy

Piper.

This is tough but Piper was in WWF off and on from 84 to 2005. Jericho has been in the company for nearly 6 years. Piper wins becuse of drawing better and being more over. Jericho certainly is a better in ring talent but never has and never will reach Piper's level of importance in WWF history.