Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair: The Definitive Collection

Marty

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=WWE1203

This is a three disc set with a comprehensive professional biography and more than two discs filled with matches spanning the 30+ year career of the ‘Nature Boy.” It’s filled with exclusive footage from WrestleMania weekend, as well as the emotional sendoff Ric received at Raw the night after WrestleMania XXIV, including footage that never aired on television. Features several matches that have never before been released on DVD, from Mid-Atlantic, World Class Championship Wrestling, WCW, and more.

Disc 1

Beginnings

Plane Crash

The Nature Boy

Traveling Champion

Slick Ric

The Role of a Champion

The Four Horsemen

The Clash with Sting

Slaying the Dragon

Hardcore with Terry Funk

From Crockett to WCW

The Real World Champion

Troubles in WCW

Success in WWE

Evolution

WrestleMania 24 Weekend

Farewell to Flair

Flair Stories

Too Many Distractions

Buying Boots

Bleaching His Hair

Hanging with the Outlaws

Ric’s Relationship with the Members of Evolution

Key to the City March 24, 2008

Ric Flair Tribute Video

Disc 2

Jack Brisco vs. Ric Flair

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (18/08/82)

2 out of 3 Falls Match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship

Kerry Von Erich vs. Ric Flair

World Class Championship Wrestling (24/08/82)

NWA World Heavyweight Championship Match

Ric Flair vs. Harley Race

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (31/08/83)

Ric Flair / Arn Anderson / Ole Anderson vs. Dusty Rhodes / Magnum TA / Manny Fernandez

World Wide Wrestling (15/12/85)

Sting vs. Ric Flair

Clash of the Champions (27/03/88)

Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk

Great American Bash (23/07/89)

Disc 3

Ric Flair vs. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper

Madison Square Garden (28/10/91)

WCW Championship

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat

Spring Stampede (17/04/94)

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship

Triple H vs. Ric Flair

Taboo Tuesday (01/11/05)

Career Threatening Match

Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels

WrestleMania 24 (30/03/08)

Extras

Ric Flair’s Farewell Address

RAW (31/03/08)

Promos

Limousine Drivin’ Jet Flyin’

Stylin & Profilin’ – NWA World Championship Wrestling May 25, 1985

Take a Ride on Space Mountain – NWA World Championship Wrestling June 22, 1985

The Boss – NWA World Championship Wrestling

August 17, 1985

Slick Ric – NWA World Championship Wrestling

September 7, 1985

Real Men Stay Up – NWA World Championship Wrestling September 21, 1985

What’s Causing All This – NWA World Championship Wrestling December 20, 1985

Space Mountainettes – NWA World Championship Wrestling April 7, 1987

Golden Spoon – NWA World Championship Wrestling November 13, 1987

They actually did an excellent job choosing matches for Disc 2.

I wish they wouldn't call it "definitive" though, because they could do several 3-disc sets, all with new material, and keep it coming for a long time.

"Definitive" suggests this is it.

It's also a nit-picky thing, but I wish some of the promos were from Pro or Worldwide, just because they were usually done in front of a backdrop in an arena or at ringside. The atmosphere was more lively.

Personally I would have preferred them to have omitted the documentary altogether, so more time could be given to his classic matches and promos. Between his book, other DVD releases and his HOF speech, his thoughts on the plane crash, the Horseman, his legendary rivals and his clashes with Jim Herd and Eric Bischoff behind the scenes in WCW are well known and I doubt Ric will have much new to say about them.

Personally I would have preferred them to have omitted the documentary altogether, so more time could be given to his classic matches and promos. Between his book, other DVD releases and his HOF speech, his thoughts on the plane crash, the Horseman, his legendary rivals and his clashes with Jim Herd and Eric Bischoff behind the scenes in WCW are well known and I doubt Ric will have much new to say about them.

Perhaps not, but there is certain to be some additional insight given by some of the people who were part of Ric Flair's career. I would imagine we'd get some insight from Greg Valentine, Ricky Steamboat, and maybe Harley Race. Obviously, Arn Anderson is going to be giving input.

And given that Big Show put over Flair on Flair's final Raw, I wonder if we'll get some insight from him. Would be nice to get a perspective of other current WWE'ers other than just HHH and Shawn (who you know will get quoted extensively).

On the matches selected, there are some good ones, but the Flair/Steamboat match chosen is a bit of a head scratcher. I know at least one of their 1989 matches was on the first Flair DVD (which I still need to buy... that's why I'm not positive if just one or more than one from 1989 exist), and then Dave Meltzer mentioned today that Flair and Steamboat had a match in 1993 on Clash of the Champions that was better than the Stampede match.

Not to say the Stampede match was bad... it was pretty good, but they had better matches than that one.

The technical aspect I really dug about Flair's first set was how you could select the chapters individually (the particular matches) and once they were done, the program would go back to the chapter menu, which had the extras for each given match.

This was really cool, because you could play certain extras before and after the match if you choose, to get a neat idea of the angles and such at the time. For example, for Starrcade 83, you could play Race announcing the bounty, Slater and Orton jumping Flair, Flair coming back with a bat, Flair announcing "a Flair for the Gold", the pre-match interviews, THEN watch the match, then play the extras right after. The Race match was the best one for this, IMO, but they did a fine job with all the others too.

I still say it's the best WWE DVD release for that reason. No release they've ever done has captured the feeling of those old angles and storylines like that set did.

• 1 month later...

I bought the DVD yesterday. Kmart had it for a really good price, I thought.

The documentary is done quite well. They pulled some interview bits from previous DVDs, such as bits from Tully Blanchard, Arn Anderson and J.J Dillon from the Horsemen DVD. Jim Cornette is also interviewed... I didn't get the first Flair set but I presume he had some comments from that one. There are also bits from some wrestlers who were certainly asked about Flair when doing bits for previous DVDs, such as Greg Valentine and Kevin Von Erich.

What was a really nice touch was WWE talking to David Crockett. It was good to get that perspective from him.

They did go into pretty good detail about the plane crash Flair was involved in and put over how he managed to come back despite being told he would never wrestle again.

One thing I didn't like was how they portrayed the timeline of Ted Turner and Jim Herd not coming along until after Flair's series with Steamboat and Terry Funk in 1989. They also made no mention of why Flair insisted on waiting for Sting to get the title and it's portrayed as if Flair wanting Sting to get the belt was a reason he left in 1991. Also, I'm surprised they never had Flair bring up the Spartacus idea, which I think was really the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm surprised they didn't mention anything about David Flair entering the wrestling business for a few years. They talk to him quite a bit about what family life was like, but it would have been interesting to get that perspective from him and Ric about trying to follow in his father's footsteps.

EDIT: One disappointment was that they never had any insight from Ricky Steamboat. Not sure why.

I didn't see Raw when the Flair farewell aired and it was nicely done. The extra stuff with Undertaker was also very good... nice to see the WWE allow Undertaker to break character in front of a live audience. Even if it wasn't shown on TV, it was nice to have that included on the DVD.

Haven't had a chance to watch the matches, but the documentary part was done well for the most part.

Also, I'm surprised they never had Flair bring up the Spartacus idea, which I think was really the straw that broke the camel's back.

I got the sense from Flair's book that Herd came up with the Spartacus idea long before Flair was fired from the company. Kevin Sullivan was on the booking committee at the time and he had left the company by the summer of 1990. The straw that broke the camel's back was Herd wanting to cut Flair's pay by half when his contract came due and Flair subsequently using the title belt as leverage to keep his old deal.