Pro Wrestling Only

Ridiculous ECW PPV news

Loss

With tickets set to go on sale next Saturday, WWE officially released details for those interested in attending the upcoming ECW PPV at the Hammerstein Ballroom.

Says a WWE.com update, "The 1st ECW show in over four years! The most insane, the most intense, the most extreme form of sports-entertainment for one night only! Be there for this historic PPV live event!"

Ticket prices are $400 for ringside, and $200/$150 for seats of a lesser-quality.

First, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to comp tickets, since ECW was never big enough to justify charging so much for the house. I guess they're trying to make up for the fact that it's being held in a smaller arena.

Second, it's a horrible idea to use the phrase "sports entertainment" and update on the WWE website when the goal all along has been to make this authentic. I'm sure they own some ECW domains, so why aren't they using those?

I don't think they will comp tickets. I think there will be just enough people who will purchase tickets to be a part of the "event". This isn't your typical ECW house show. As a WWF sponsored show, everyone and their mother will probably tune in just to see what the fuss is about. Remember, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and those who are still clouded by the ECW mystique will gladly shell out the cash to be part of the event.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I'm not convinced this would have done too well anyway, because this may look like ECW, sound like ECW, and have wrestlers who wrestled for ECW, but it isn't ECW. It's a WWE-ised version of ECW, and I don't think a lot of ECW fans will want to pay to see a bastardized version of ECW. In any event, ECW is dead and buried, and it isn't coming back, certainly not in the fashion people remember it as. ECW had a lot of good and points, despite certain people being determined to run it down in an almost fanatical like fashion, and I?d rather it was just left to rest in peace.

I think the whole sports-entertainment thing came about when Vince was trying to avoid having the state athletic commissons monitor WWF shows.

Pro wrestling has the connotation of being a legit contest where sports-entertainment makes it clear that it's all a show.

It is pretty silly when they started calling the workers "sports-entertainers", which is almost as bad as their use of "physicality" instead of "violence".

Guest Some Guy

It is pretty silly when they started calling the workers "sports-entertainers", which is almost as bad as their use of "physicality" instead of "violence".

Or "Medical facility" rather than "Hospital." I'm still trying to figure out when that shit started. I'm hoping all the Raw comps I'm making will help sort that little mistory out.

I think they're trying to avoid losing money on the house, which I can understand, but the building can't be expensive to lease out anyway, and they're probably already going to break fire codes and God knows what else just to sell out the place. They'd make a profit if they sold ringside tickets for even $50.

Guest Some Guy

It will probably sell out legit. There were 1100 people who showed up at the Arena every month and thousands more who went to various shows in NYC. Add in people who never got to see ECW but bought the DVD and want to see what it's all about, regardless of how close to ECW this show will be and I think you can get 2700 people to buy tickets. The show will have established WWE stars on it as well. If Benoit, Eddy, Rey, Jericho, etc.. can't sell 2,700 tickets then there is a problem.

Guest Some Guy

I don't know that they have been confirmed but I imagine that they would have to be part of it and I've heard both names bandied about in regards to the show. I've read stuff like "WWE wants the show to have a true ECW feel with garbage matches and great wrestling so Benoit, Eddy, and Jericho will be there to insure the latter."

I never looked at ECW as having great wrestling, it was by far the exception rather than the rule. There would be 6 garbage matches on each card and they would throw RVD out to do a spot fest that the mutants would cream their pants over.