Pro Wrestling Only

Ted Dibiase Jr.

Childs

Dave pimped him pretty hard in the latest Observer, noting that Cena believes little Dibiase is a future Wrestlemania headliner. I've enjoyed what I've seen of his tag team with Rhodes but haven't been blown away by his work. Wondered what others think of him so far?

Dave pimped him pretty hard in the latest Observer, noting that Cena believes little Dibiase is a future Wrestlemania headliner. I've enjoyed what I've seen of his tag team with Rhodes but haven't been blown away by his work. Wondered what others think of him so far?

I've been enjoying him a lot more than I expected I would, but "future Wrestlemania headliner" seems a little premature.

Guest DietSoda

I've been enjoying him a lot more than I expected I would, but "future Wrestlemania headliner" seems a little premature.

It's going to happen. What did Orton have that DiBiase doesn't at the same age? He's already showing creepy amounts of potential. He looked natural against Cena and Batista.

It's going to happen. What did Orton have that DiBiase doesn't at the same age? He's already showing creepy amounts of potential. He looked natural against Cena and Batista.

Orton is only three years older than DiBiase, so this might not be the best question to ask.

Comparing Orton's first year in WWE to DiBiase's first year in WWE favors DiBiase. That said, there are lots of guys who look good in their first year in a major company, and they don't automatically go on to headline their biggest annual show. He has potential, to be sure. "Creepy amounts of potential"? That seems like a stretch. Not sure that he has anything more going for him than his tag partner. Fuck, neither of them have as much going for them as Chuck Palumbo, and Palumbo's in booking limbo right now. Why is it a guarantee that DiBiase makes it when the guy who brings all the same things to the table and does them all better is on the cusp of being wished well in his future endeavors?

Guest DietSoda

Orton is only three years older than DiBiase, so this might not be the best question to ask.

Comparing Orton's first year in WWE to DiBiase's first year in WWE favors DiBiase. That said, there are lots of guys who look good in their first year in a major company, and they don't automatically go on to headline their biggest annual show. He has potential, to be sure. "Creepy amounts of potential"? That seems like a stretch. Not sure that he has anything more going for him than his tag partner. Fuck, neither of them have as much going for them as Chuck Palumbo, and Palumbo's in booking limbo right now. Why is it a guarantee that DiBiase makes it when the guy who brings all the same things to the table and does them all better is on the cusp of being wished well in his future endeavors?

His last name, his look, his 'creepy amount of potential', his ability to talk, etc. Palumbo has a track record of being a no-name low-mid card wrestler who's already at an age to where it would be pointless to try to make something out of him. Plus he can't talk. I'm not sure anyone regards him as much of a good worker at any noteworthy level, either.

What reason do we have to believe DiBiase won't be at Ortons level? Orton isn't a better talker. Better worker, sure, but that comes with experience, and you've already pointed out that DiBiase first year > Orton first. Plus, DiBiase is bigger than Orton. All the blueprints are there. He's a future Wrestlemania headliner.

His last name,

A positive, but hardly guarantees anything.

his look,

Which is pretty commonplace in the WWE.

his 'creepy amount of potential',

Which is being exaggerated.

his ability to talk,

Which is good, but not "oh my God, this guy is going to be a huge star" good.

Palumbo has a track record of being a no-name low-mid card wrestler who's already at an age to where it would be pointless to try to make something out of him.

Which is kind of my point. Palumbo debuted in WCW with a comparable skill set to DiBiase, probably had about as much potential, improved considerably throughout his career (you and I have different opinions of his ability, to be fair), and has never even sniffed Starrcade/Mania main eventer status. The arc of Palumbo's career illustrates that a guy with DiBiase's skills at this point in his career does not automatically become a major star.

What reason do we have to believe DiBiase won't be at Ortons level?

Because it's still really early in his run and we don't have significant evidence to suggest anything one way or the other.

Orton isn't a better talker.

That's a matter of some debate.

Better worker, sure, but that comes with experience, and you've already pointed out that DiBiase first year > Orton first.

Carlito had a good first year of work in WWE, too. People don't always improve.

Plus, DiBiase is bigger than Orton.

According to Wikipedia, he's actually a little bit smaller. And if he is bigger, they certainly do a good job of hiding it on TV.

All the blueprints are there. He's a future Wrestlemania headliner.

Blueprints don't mean much unless something gets built. Time can be a bitch, and while it wouldn't shock me if DiBiase became a 'Mania headliner, it ain't set in stone yet.

Guest DietSoda

Fair enough, I'm just saying DiBiase has a lot going for him on the surface that, if he continues to improve, could very easily become a huge star in this business....and being third generation wrestler will only be a bonus to help assure a spot for him. It seems like FCW mainly hires sons of wrestlers anyway.

Guest DaDirtiest

Palumbo has a track record of being a no-name low-mid card wrestler who's already at an age to where it would be pointless to try to make something out of him. Plus he can't talk. I'm not sure anyone regards him as much of a good worker at any noteworthy level, either.

I am not the only one to note that Palumbo has some of the best punches on TV in Pro Wrestling/Sports Entertainment, and I honestly think his intensity during his ill fated run with McCool and Noble was great, as Noble took a helluva beating every time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm bumping this since it was recently announced that Dibiase's removal from TV is due to him doing a WWE films project (The Marine 2) which puts him in some pretty good company (Austin, Cena, and Kane).

I thought it was weird when he was the one who got the battle royal screwjob treatment, since that's typically designed for babyfaces and he's a heel, but then Orton pretty much punted him into a face turn when he comes back (unless they go the Joey Mercury route and just reunite them in six months with no explanation).